1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Mexi's Bonsai

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by mexicat, Dec 31, 2016.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

mexicat

It can be done just keep on top of it and always have spare ferts and tabs. I always used the Seachem Fert tabs at the start of the new season. I have contacted the manufacturer as they are garden suppliers not Aquarium suppliers its just a double check for you.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

Mexicat
    I contacted Scotts a few hrs ago and this is the reply I received.

Scotts response
    Date:
    3/02/2017

Scotts Australia has a product specially produced for use in aquariums and ponds: Osmocote for Water Gardens & Aquatic Plants.

For more detailed information about this product, please refer to our website:
    www.scottsaustralia.com.au/scotts-brands/osmocote/osmocote-plus-trace-elements-controlled-release-plant-food/osmocote-plus-trace-elements-water-gardens-aquatic-plants/

3. mexicat

mexicat Aspiring Aquascaper

Haven't updated this in awhile because I couldn't afford the plants. Here's a photo of what the tank looks like now. The moss has grown longer and ill probably trim it soon. I shifted the tree and all the rocks surrounding it back slightly so the fish could swim in the front and back. I just have to re adjust the rock on the back right of the tree.

Having some trouble thinking of ideas on how to plant it. Similar to my previous photo, I was going to do monte carlo with a mix of hydro. japan. I'm unsure about the areas with red.

1. I was thinking of letting hydrocotyle japan grow up the tree trunk / on the side rocks so it doesn't seem completely empty behind the tree
    2. The tree creates shade and I think the carpet will stop growing at that point. I will probably have to use low light planting either crypts, anubias nana, or bucephalandra.
    3. The red X, I'm not sure if I should go with a bushy plant or continue the carpet.

My concern with this planting mock up is the shade. I'm not sure if the planting in that area will mix well with the hydro. on the tree and the carpet around it.

.jpg plants.jpg
    plants1.jpg plantsssss.jpg

4. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Monte carlo is hard to grow. Try dwarf hairgrass with root tabs or aquasoil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mexicat

I was going to go with DHG but I wasn't sure if it would look good with the moss on the tree. If it's easier ill most likely go with it. Have you had experience with monte carlo? I read a lot about it being really easy to carpet with in excel and root tabs. Was wondering because I was going to use it in my 5 gallon scape.

6. lucasgg

From my experience, monte carlo grows slowly with even aquasoil. Excel probably would help i think but I would be slow to believe what people recommend unless they have direct verifiable experience.

keithgh likes this.
  7. keithgh

lucasgg an excellent reply you see too much of this on many forums its usually false information from Dr Google or a friend told me.

8. mexicat

I think under the shaded areas I can use marsilea minuta or anubias nana since the leaves are similar in shape and they work well in lower light. Like in this scape with DHG and Marsilea. Do you think I should have hydro. japan on those side stones and on the tree trunk?

14481862_1219455261460377_8993277053923509397_o.jpg

9. lucasgg

Hydro japan, verticillata, or tripartita would look good wrapped/trailing around the left side of the tree/rocks

10. keithgh

Lucasgg

To me there looks like a plant war happening which plant is going to be the most dominant plant?

Are all those plants you suggested easy to grow, easy to locate and buy.

11. lucasgg

Only one or the fore mentioned plants would be used in the area.

keithgh likes this.
  12. keithgh

lucasgg

I was only referring to the existing plants not any of your recommended plants.

lucasgg likes this.
  13. mexicat

Right now I think there would be the 3 plants: the hydro, DHG, and marsilea if I decided to go with it under the shade. Everything else would be removed.

Main foreground: DHG
    Left rock: Hydro.
    Shade: marsilea

Would there still be a conflict with those 3 plants?

As for purchasing, I know a seller that has everything for both tanks except the pygmy chain sword and marsilea. He sells the plants in large portions for fair prices. As far as I know the plants should work with root tabs, ei dosing, and excel.

14. keithgh

mexicat

I would try one plant only it would make every thing look less confusing, remember the old rule "Less is More and More is Less"

The other main point to consider will the planting (regardless of which plant) hide all those low rocks?

Thoroughly research plant first, I am positive lucasgg will help you in making the correct decision.

15. mexicat

I'll probably start with the main ground cover plant and as it grows it'll probably be easier to decide if more plants should be added.

Those low rocks had me concerned which is why I initially chose monte carlo since its a lower grower. With DHG I can maybe keep it trimmed low or add rocks underneath the base of the stones to raise them a little higher

keithgh and lucasgg like this.
  16. keithgh

Mexicat

You can always build rocks up and what is building them up will always be hidden by your planting.

17. mexicat

Changed a setting on my camera so there was less glare. Looks more yellow so ill take a new photo with the original settings.

I split up the DHG and tried to create box patterns. I'll probably buy more if I see that it can grow in the tank. Still have plants that I need to sell (anubias, bucephalandra, bolbitis) that I placed under the tree for now. I like the look of anubias wrapped around the sides and back, but will remove the ones in the front.

20170604_153940.jpg

20170604_153955.jpg

20170604_154511.jpg

keithgh, Orlandog7 and lucasgg like this.
  18. keithgh

mexicat

I can still see too many open spaces its either buy plenty more plants or divide those clumps up into 2-3 individual young plants.

19. mexicat

I'm probably going to sell or trade the remaining plants I have and get 2 more cups. This is basically 2 cups. I ordered 3, but received one that was dying.

keithgh likes this.
  20. keithgh

mexicat

Two more cups would certainly help. Did you tell or return the dying pot of plants?