1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Mexi's Bonsai

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by mexicat, Dec 31, 2016.

1. mexicat

mexicat Aspiring Aquascaper

I will try that tomorrow. How much further do you think I should tilt it? Also, any opinions on the current rock placement and the few plants I listed?

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Mexicat

Try this and see how it looks as long as you keep the center of the tree greeny 2/3rds up and 1/3rd in from the LH end.
    keithgh, Yesterday at 2:54 PM

Rocks at the moment a lot of open spaces but this will change completely when planted and the main focal point will be on the tree. Planting I have always been a very basic planter and that is one area I will leave up to the plant experts.

Keith :cat::cat:

3. mexicat

think there might be an error or the image wasn't posted

4. keithgh

Mexicat

No that was when I posted this photo.

Keith:cat::cat:

[​IMG]

5. mexicat

Took some photos of the roots resting on the left rock and slightly moved some stones. Not the best quality photos+dirty glass. Not sure if I took a step backwards with the rock work by moving the 2 rocks on the sides of the tree. I kind of like it but don't know if it appears natural. May be it will when I finish adding the sand. Think the tree is tilting in a different direction. If I tilt the tree any more, it will probably only be slightly more. 20170104_145823.jpg 20170104_145857.jpg

6. keithgh

mexicat

[​IMG]

The first point I see is those rocks on the LH of the very old tree. I looks like a land slippage RH side and that made the old roots grow over the rocks.

Is it different to the standard old central tree with a few rocks scattered around the trunk?

It certainly is and that is one major factor about your Aquascape.

The three ticked rocks look very natural but the ? ones look very well placed and can be very distracting it looks like a rock fenced of area at the moment.

All of the ? rocks have plenty of character just require a little adjustment to make it a far better Aquascape than when you first started.

It's been a very big challenge and finally you are in the straight now and the finish line is not far off.

7. mexicat

Moved some of the rocks in photo shop. Had my brother help me with one to get a new set of eyes on it. Messed up the mid rock on mine, but did a slight rotate and moved it closer to the tree roots. new 1.jpg vLQDShZ.png

keithgh likes this.
  8. keithgh

mexicat

[​IMG]

Now you are getting somewhere, I like what I am seeing.
    Two suggestions the small rock No2 front RH up into that gap as it was open
    No1 up higher actually just touching the big rock and rotated 180d

It might work only you can tell

9. mexicat

Those adjustments look good. Only thing is I think the 1 and 2 rocks are from the stone within the red circle. That stone is just one giant stone that I have been thinking about breaking. I'll probably be heading to a fish store with some seiryu stone tomorrow and can probably pick up some tiny stones or try and break that bigger stone in half. It looks like it's 2 stones but they are joined together by a flat middle.

keithgh likes this.
  10. keithgh

mexicat

I am glad you liked that last rocks move.

How would it look if the rock in the part circle is left alone and two rocks are used one in each 1 and 2.

Breaking stones can be a problem its OK if you want small pieces but trying to break a rock in a certain position is not as easy as it sounds.

With the next photo move the lights towards the back of the tank it might help to all the front rocks a lot easier.

I tried to darken the photo a lot it did not make any difference at all, are you using a flash with your camera.

11. mexicat

Haven't updated for a day or two because I had to drive and get some more stone. I also got interesting wood for my 5.5 gallon so ill be posting the finished bonsai rocks then the 5.5 gallon at some point.

keithgh likes this.
  12. keithgh

mexicat

Going LFS shopping can be fun and sometimes very expensive.

13. mexicat

somewhat finished photos. Couldn't clean more sand because my outdoor hose froze. still need to flatten the front sand. 20170107_162807.jpg 20170107_162758.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Karthik and lucasgg like this.
  14. keithgh

mexicat
    [​IMG]
    First attempt
    [​IMG]
    Finished

That is a great improvement you now have a tank to be proud of.
    Don't forget to level the substrate at the front please.

Karthik likes this.
  15. mexicat

Been m.i.a. for awhile and was trying to get enough money for plants. I havent planted either tank yet but finally have some money to get going. I created a quick drawing of some planting. The plants would be monte carlo (blue), hydro. japan (yellow), and i'm not sure what to do in the red. I was thinking of putting low growing bucephalandra or anubias nana petite if the monte carlo doesnt grow in the shade of the tree.

The hydro japan would probably be mixed in with the monte carlo also. If there's any opinions on this plant layout it would be helpful. plants.jpg

Shane P. likes this.
  16. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

You'll want aquasoil or co2 or a lot if substrate tabs is you are going to grow monte carlo in the sand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane P. and keithgh like this.
  17. keithgh

Mexicat

Remember this old posting of mine.

Your substrate is very glary plus being white its going to be very difficult to keep clean. Plants in sand it can be done but using a quality plant growing substrate you will get a far better looking aquascape and plant growth.

Sand contains no nutrient content, quality liquid ferts are essential. If have rooted plants you will be required need to use plenty root tabs.

If you calculate those costs over a period of time it will be far cheaper to get a quality Substrate.

I think you will either have to rethink your planting or a very big job of pulling it down and replacing it with a suitable Substrate

Shane P. likes this.
  18. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

It could be possible with root tabs and good dosing to the water column. I haven't done it before though so I would ask @ShadowMac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. keithgh

Shane I grew rooted plants in 1-3mm river gravel and I used liquid ferts every day plus fert tabs around the crypts with great success but its a costly exercise.

20. mexicat

i bought 50 osmocote root tabs for 5$ and was told they're usually good in a 5 inch radius for about 3 months. I usually ei dose kn03 kh2po4 and seachem flourish. I figured if the root tabs/ei worked that a full carpet would reduce the glare

keithgh, Shane P. and lucasgg like this.