1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Malaysian trumpet snail problem

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Mark J, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

I am trying to get a shrimp tank going. I lost my Chiclid tank to a bad algae bloom. I now have a planted tank going well and am working on a shrimp colony. This is a 55 gallon tank. Lots of java moss and wysteria. I added several nerite snails and a few bristle nose plecos to keep algae under control. I now added 20 bloody mary neos. My problem is I have an infestation of MTS. They are getting rather thick. With the shrimp I can't add botias or loaches. What is a good way to remove MTS's from the tank and not harm the shrimp or the Nerite snails?

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Mark welcome to ASW

I was thinking along the lines of Assassin Snails but you have the Nerites.

I there any way you can remove most it not all of your Nerites and Shrimps and some young Clown Loaches and Botias, there are simple Snail traps that can be made check Google, this might help as well.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

Predators and chemicals are not going in my tank. I put 4 plastic bottle traps in today. We will see what I can collect over night.

4. keithgh

Mark J

A little piece of lettuce might encourage them to go into the trap.

Assassin snails are OK in some circumstances but certainly not chemicals.

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

You may be looking at along battle if you do not wish to use predators. It will basically be continuous trap and remove.

Assassin snails are a great option. you could remove the nerites for a period and let the assassin snails do their thing, then remove and replace with nerites. The nerites should be fine in a container with an air stone for sometime provide they get a little food.

6. keithgh

Mark

Several members have used Assassin snails with great success working with young Clown Loaches they should clean your tank 100%

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

The traps did not do very well for catching snails. I used plastic bottle traps with the tops cut off and inverted so snails could get in but not easily get out. Used lettuce, cucumber, and spinach for bait. A few snails found there way in but also 2 cory catfish that I had got in the traps and died. I removed the traps.

Frustrated, I removed all the Nerites and shrimp to a breeder tank, and put 2 Green spotted puffers in the tank. After 2 days of hunting, I don't see any live snails. They worked very well. I will leave them for a few more days, and then remove them and take them to my local fish store and let them find a new home for them. After a good vacuum of the gravel I will return the Nerites and shrimp to the tank and hope the snails are gone for good. Wish I could leave the puffers in the tank, very cool fish, but the shrimp would not last long.

ShadowMac likes this.
  8. keithgh

Mark

Make sure all the snail eggs have gone as well.

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

MTS are the worst. I almost got them from a friend whom I held some plants and fish for while he moved. Fortunately I had everything in a bare bottom tank.

Most often my experience with all kinds of snails has taught me a good predator can out perform any other method. I do agree, the traps or horrible.

keithgh likes this.
  10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

After about 5 days, I don't see any nuisance snails in the tank. The puffers have done an amazing job. They are constantly hunting for snails and if I watch them long enough they appear to find 1 or 2 in the gravel. I plan to leave them in the tank for few more days then vacuum the gravel well and then find a new home for them. That will probably mean taking them to a local pet store. If anyone from around southeast Minnesota would like them, please let me know and you can have them, to either give a good home to or to clear snails.

ShadowMac likes this.
  11. keithgh

Mark

If there is no hurry and they are damaging the tank I would leave them as long as possible.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

New problem.

OK, puffers have eradicated nuisance snails. They did a great job, I found a new home for them and they are out of my tank. Shrimp and nerite snails are back in. While doing a little clean up, I found leeches under some of the rocks. In 40 years I've never seen any in my tanks. Only thing else in the tank are bristlenose plecos. Any way to get rid of these guys with out tearing down the tank or harming the shrimp BNP's or nerites? Was thinking maybe increasing the salt level. I really don't want to tear the tank down. If I removed the nerites and put assassin snails in the tank, would they eat them? Maybe they are not all bad, but they bother me and I would like them out of the tank. Any tips would be appreciated.

13. keithgh

Mark
    That is a first for me too since doing the Forum work for a while I have never heard of them in any aquarium tank.

Unless I am mistaken you also have to remove all their eggs as well and there looks like only one way that will work 100% and that you do not want to do strip the tank down treat all the plants and substrate.

There might be some in your filtration system as well.