1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Lucky bamboo? Yes/no

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by vanscheck, Sep 21, 2010.

1. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

i recently bought 2 lucky bamboos and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this plant in an aquarium set up...it is currently in my 10gal aquarium and peeping out in the back...the tank is about 25cm tall but the plant is about 35-40cm so its not submerged..

people say it will rot some say there fine?
    should i burry the root under my gravel(JBL manado) or just leave sitting on top of the gravel?

thanks a lot, will be waiting for answer in the meantime one is burried roots one is just out

bye

2. littlefish

littlefish New Member

This is not a plant to grow in an aquarium, you can put it there but in a month or two the leaves will start to be yellow and in the end it will die. I bought some lucky bamboo for my tank last year and after some serch on the internet I decided to put in a flowerpot, now it's on my desk and is a beauty.

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Yes, bamboo doesn't last very long 2-3 months tops when fully submerged.

I see it sold in fish stores all the time, and unfortunately people don't know and buy it for aquarium purposes.

-John N.

4. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

thanks for the info, will now plant it in a pot with little water

5. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

I would have to disagree with the other comments. I had 10 lucky bamboo plants in my 55 gallon tank for almost 2 years and they never did rot nor did the leaves yellow. When i took them out the root system was huge on ever single plant, but the plants did not grow very much at all. I'd say they grew on average 2 new leaves and maybe grew taller by an inch. It's just hard to keep the algae off the leaves since they do not grow hardly at all submerged. Not saying these other replies you got are wrong, this is just my experience with the stuff.

6. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

so you planted your fully submerged. how bout half and half...leaves out and body in?

7. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Lucky bamboo is only marketing name, the real name of this plant is Dracaena Sanderiana. It is a sump plant, and very common in ripariums and poludariums.
    Keep the roots wet or plant it into the soil and it will grow like any other plant as long as the leaves are above the water surface.

8. biguran

biguran New Member

I have a friend who started a tank with bamboo, it looked nice at the begining (for a photo sesion) but in 3 months he had them out (many unexplainable problems during that time), here some fotos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]