1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Low Tech Iwagumi

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by J Art, Jul 11, 2016.

1. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

7Q7B4446.jpg

God help me....I've caught the bug bad. The 10G is back in action. This time, low tech iwagumi. Going to try and push the limits with window light and no CO2.

This is pretty much just an experiment in the opposite extreme of my high tech heavily planted tank. Low maintenance, slow growing, and natural is the idea.

Plants will either be mosses only or some java fern behind the rock formation.

This is a north facing window, so there is never direct sunlight. If it is still problematic, I can add a background to the aquarium to block some out. I dont' think I'll need to though.

By the way, it's really easy to fake a rimless aquarium when it's back lit. See attached image below to see how it actually looks....

Attached Files:

ShadowMac and keithgh like this.
  2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

J Art

Looks like you are off to a good start already.

Keith:cat::cat:

J Art likes this.
  3. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

7Q7B4513-Edit-Edit copy.JPG
    Small update. Was at the LFS yesterday and swiped this "Italian Val" as the first main plant in the scape. Also a clipping of Hydrocotyle Leuccephala from the high tech. Background courtesy of the trees outside the window.

ShadowMac likes this.
  4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

for mosses you can get some flat pieces of slate tile (broken up of course) or slate stones and tie moss to them. Then arrange them along the substrate. Any number of mosses would work. To mix things up fissidens fontanus on and around the stones would look good and not get overly bushy like other mosses. You could probably even try to work in some E. parvula to break up the mosses.

I like the val. You also make the uneven substrate work. I usually hate it....not here.

J Art likes this.
  5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

J Art

Even a few small rocks with plenty of character pushed into your substrate would add another dimension.

Keith:cat::cat:

lucasgg and J Art like this.