1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Lost in Transition

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by jimi, May 14, 2012.

1. jimi

jimi New Member

Hi Guys,

I have called this Lost in Transition because I was going from one scape to the next without having any clear idea of where I was going, I have always done this with my tank since setting it up to begin with and have only had a complete scape once so far, I think I am nearing completness for this one but for the right hand side.

After much deliberation and messing about and all sorts of hecticness this is the start of my new scape. This was already being built up with a sand theme at the front and a valley and such through the middle but with the sand in there it was causing too many issues.

I took the sand out and stepped back and looked hard. I had an appifiny and arragned it as you see it now. I think I am happy with the left side and will wait for that to grow in and bush out and then see how I feel. However the right hand side is not at all fitting in (as I have not touched that yet and is still midway between the old scape and this new one) and I am stuck. I did have a flash of vision though of putting more stonework in the right as on the left, but with a view to make it more intricate and keep the left side simple as it is, removing the wood completley in the process.

Please tell me what you think as I really need some help on this one, I seem to be able to left sides but not right sides! lol

Cheers all and I hope you enjoy the pics. (iPhone so sorry for the quality)

Jimi

2. jimi

jimi New Member

3. jimi

jimi New Member

27 views and not one reply, comment, or critique? Is it that bad?

Comon help me out here guys

4. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

first let me show a bigger image of your tank.
    [​IMG]

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

We're a quiet forum with it being international and near to competition season.

You've sort of got the right idea and the scape you have many a beginner would be happy with.
    My crit goes as such, the rock work and the wood work being entirely disconnected make the scape appear to be two scapes rather than one harmonious unit. The redplants are a bit jarring and further cause the eye to jitter about between these focalpoints and the hygropholia sp in the corners leaves are too bit for the character I'm assuming you're aiming. I'd be worried about low biomass and algae, some fast growers might be an idea. Use a 30cm rule and level the substrate along the front edge and clean that rock work too! ;)
    These are all easy fixes though but I'd say let what you have grow out and before changing species and see how you find it. The use of more rock work and use of it with the wood will unify the scape, the wood you have has endless possibilities.
    When working with rockwork I found this guide (it's meant for reefers I know) to show everything I go through far better than I could say it so it's worth having a read and a think.
    http://www.h2oplusomething.com/inde...72:aquascaping&catid=52:aquascaping&Itemid=64

I'd say have a tinker and let things grow and then reassess it, fresh tanks are always difficult to understand because they lack growth and maturity which is the intangible 4th dimension which ties a scape together ultimately.

6. jimi

jimi New Member

Thanks Garuf :)

To go across some points.

Thanks for the first point, I am still a beginner, only been doing it a year, but many people say I have a natural hand at it so that will have helped!

The right hand side is not even started, that is plants left over from the last scape but I didnt empty the tank and start again so basically everything from the end of the HC over to the right can go.

The rockwork I didnt bother to clean because I thought it was a good look to have it covered green, thought it might fit in with the plants better but I will give it a scrub :)

I have been trying to think of what to do with that wood but have no idea, but you say that peice has endless possibilites so I will give it some thought while I am on holiday. Also the biomass is fine, I only have one fish in there and a shed load of baby plecs since the incident with the Co2, it has actually got better so I am not worried about that at the moment but ty for your pioint :)

So thanks for the link and the critique, it has been enlightening and I will give it some thought while I am on hols, thanks again Garuf :)

Jimi

7. Garuf

By biomass what I really mean is plant mass, I assumed the tank was still juvenile in it's planting, sparce planting at the start can let algae get a toe hold and it's an uphill battle from then on so it's best to get as much of the substrate planted as possible at start up around 50-60% being the minimum.

I think your wood lends it's self nicely to this sort of scape
    http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/Medium/1327.jpg
    http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/Medium/25.jpg
    http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/Medium/1391.jpg
    http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/Medium/1190.jpg

8. jimi

jimi New Member

It shoudl be ok as far as algae is concerned as it is quite a mature tank. As I said I didnt start from scratch, I just removed all the plants. Though I do need to get an idea of the right hands side soon just in case the algae does think oooo extra stuff to feed on...quick boys, multiply!!! lol

Those links are just showing a banner?

Jimi

9. Garuf

Really, hmm, they work on my pc. I'll root them out again when I've more than a minute.