1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

looking for something very different: Nature Dominating Man

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by ComplexThirteen, May 28, 2009.

1. ComplexThirteen

ComplexThirteen New Member

I totally love nature style aquariums,and their dwarfed displays of of nature. I was wondering are there any guys out there that have done sort of a sunken city them (not like a model town) but something that is made to look like a modern building broken by the tide. I like the idea of an illustration of natures power over man made structures. I don't have the skill to attempt something like this yet, but I'd love to see any if they exist out there. I just haven't been able to find them. I've only seen fantasy pieces done by Oliver Knott, because I don't know enough peoples art well enough to search more specifically for image content.

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

That would be very interesting. I haven't seen anything like you've described.

I suppose that would require having an initial structure (old lookin building) and then covering it with moss or something to make it look overgrown? Just tossing ideas out there.

I'm not sure if you're going to find examples like that since aquascapers are very hesitant to use objects in their scapes.

-John N.

3. ComplexThirteen

I have some experience building models If I cast small buildings in a thin concrete in some forms is there anyone that can advice me on a safe composition for something like this, I know many concrete mixes can contains chemicals that would leach out and mess with your PH for a long time. If I can get feed back about concrete for aquarium furniture construction. I've seen statures that were pretty obviously concrete so I want to know if the people using these have had water problems and if not maybe if it was a craft mix for aquatic use or if most common non structural concretes are tank safe. I'm really getting a picture in my mind of a submerged pier and possibly a model that looked like a tsunami had broken it. I'd like to do this in a long tank with a primarily hardscape and largely bare bottom where the water levels had risen and drowned the beach and pier. I imagine casting the casons for the pier using pvc and concrete if it works out and just cut the pvc away and affix some moss. with long grass like plants along the pier like sea weed. This may be so bizzare that I do it and it looks rediculous but I can't see a good reason not to try as long as it makes me happy at least having tried I'll know what doesn't work.

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

This is sound like Taiwan style Aquascaping. You might want to try Taiwan website or magazine. You probably unable to read it (unless you learn Chinese before) but at least can see the photo and capture the idea. Online translator like babel fish or Google translator should be able to translate it, not accurate but good enough.

5. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

maybe you can advise some? :yo:

6. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Robert can you post some photo examples of Taiwan aquascaping? I haven't seen any recent ones lately. I'm sure they're out there, but on the Asian forums. Maybe you can help?

-John N.

7. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

It's been a long time that I have seen those Taiwan scapes. But some of them are really looks cool.

8. Shadow

Unfortunately I never visit Taiwan forum. Let me ask around and post the link here.

9. ComplexThirteen

I'm happy for all the feed back, really unexpected really as I'd never seen a real example of this style until I saw the name hear I was worried I was seeing something in my head that was in fact not just hard but impossible. I like hard, hard is fun but impossible is frustrating.

10. Shadow

one of the example of Taiwan style at Taiwan forum

http://www.aqugrass.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=144808

11. Chadly

Chadly New Member

I thought about doing an industrial pollution type scape with bricks, cinder blocks, drainage tubes and random items of not toxic garbage (glass bottles, etc.)

12. Carolina

Carolina New Member

Check out youtube. I saw someone, looking for hills, making rocks for turtle tank.

Here someone made a paudrian using concrete. She discusses how she cured it.

Your idea reminds of a movie where you see under water the results of a volcano eruption.

Some uniques examples by Octopus and Oliver Knot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. mikeb210

mikeb210 New Member

A television show that I enjoy is called "Life After People." Some of the things they show are cities that are overtaken by vegetation. It might be useful for inspiration in your tanks. Here is the LINK.

14. Shadow

Those pandas are so cute :))