1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Looking For Advice On My 55

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by JEden8, Sep 4, 2011.

1. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

How many anubias around the bottoms on the driftwood? Do I completely cover the driftwood in ferns or just in spots with moss in beteen them? What type or cryptanalysis should o use to fill the back corners? The same in each corner or different types?

Sponsored link:

2. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

depands of the size of anubias you select. i would plant from side around the middle to the rear. the backside could stay empty. i would cover the complete dw with ferns, but you ll need a lot to cover complete, at least will be a question of money you can spend for the plants. could look nice if you just plant fern spots on it too. try it out. but i would left the dw without moss. which kind of crypts is a choice you can take by yourself and if you plant both side the same or not is also your decision. for me there is no rule to make that way or an other. as carpet i would prefer glosso, cause it fills in faster.

3. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

So I'm going to pick out the plants today. Should I stick with the Java Moss on the rocks or should I just pick up some moss balls?

4. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

:D mossballs are no moss, they are algaeballs. so better you go and pick javamoss or starmoss.

5. Fizgig777

Fizgig777 New Member

I don't think those round stones will work here... The substrate you've chosen is dark & those round stones are blaringly white. Your arrangement of them is also too symmetrical. I think taller plants along the sides of that piece of wood and some type of moss covering the driftwood would create a nice effect. Some grassy, low growing plant in the valley beneath the driftwood from front to back would be neat.... IMO

6. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Thanks for the tip. See the next post with what I currently have done. I've removed more of the stones so there are fewer. Let me know what you think!

7. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

So here's an update after purchasing all new plants this weekend.

Sorry for the blurry pics. I'll get some better ones when I get a chance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think! I'll get some more details about everything once I get everything compiled.

8. Rodney

Rodney New Member

Hey this tank is really coming around!

9. Fizgig777

Fizgig777 New Member

Looking better =) I think it needs some time to grow in. The white stones still look unnatural, BUT, when algae covers them and the plants around them grow in, they should blend in better. Still think you should try to wrap that piece of wood in some type of moss. Would make a stunning green "bridge"... Keep the updates coming =)

10. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Thanks Rodney!

Thanks! My wife said to me, "I like the right side but the left side just looks so empty." All I told her was that she had to be patient and let it grow in then it will look better. I can try to find some darker colored stones to match the substrate a little better to see how they look. I'm still trying to find someone local that has a nice carpet plant besides the Dwarf Sag. I had tons of Dwarf Sag so I threw it in on each side as a "filler". Now my question for you about the moss. I have a ton of Java Moss. If I were to put moss on the log, where should I put it and how much in each section? I was thinking that it would look good with moss but I don't want the entire log to get completely covered. I have 3 pieces of Java Moss on there that I'm hoping will fill in the tank. I think the once everything grows in I would be able to see it more but I just can't picture it covered in moss yet. Any ideas?

11. Fizgig777

Fizgig777 New Member

12. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Thanks for the links!

Sorry for the lack of updates. It's been hectic around here lately. I'm hoping to get it cleaned up a bit and get some moss attached to the driftwood. The plants seem to be coming along. All of my Red Ludwigia has died for some reason. The "grass" is finally starting to take a little bit. The Java Fern has popped out two or three more leaves along with the annubia. The plant I'm mainly concerned with is my Amazon Swords. When we purchased them they were pretty healthy. Is it normal for majority of the leaves to die when re-planted in a new tank? I mean new leaves are coming in slowly but very slowly. Seems like I do more trimming of old leaves than new leaves form. I looked around online about these plants and it recommends not to fertilize too much so I stopped the fertilizer in the tank for a little bit. I have root tabs in the tank so they are still getting some nutrients along with the co2. I'm also only running 2x65 watt PC lights over it but I can run 4. Should I up the light or hold back?

13. Fizgig777

Fizgig777 New Member

I have a bunch of Echinodorus varieties in my collection, too... I don't use CO2 -- dose with F. Excel. They seem to benefit most from quality root tabs. When I put a new one in (right next to each plant or in between 2 that are close together), they respond with FAST new growth within 24hrs. I do add liquid ferts., too, but the swords don't respond the same to that as they do to root tabs -- especially Flourish root tabs -- 'cause they're mainly root feeders. When I purchased the plants, I had a lot of die off in the outer leaves the first week after planting, but the plants soon settled in and started growing. With my E. Bleheri, I manually removed all the large outer leaves before I planted it into my tank and that got it growing right away.

The thing with Amazon Swords is that many suppliers grow them immersed then put them underwater for sale. It takes them a few days to respond to the change, so usually it's the buyer that has to deal with the changes in the plant. Some Swords recover faster than others. They shed leaves and start putting out new ones. The new leaves usually don't look like the old ones that have been shed. Just keep the temp. and light (2watts/gal. or more) in the right range and give 'em quality root tabs and they should be fine. They're pretty tough! Don't worry too much about overdosing ferts on them... If/when they're growing, they do so very quickly and use up nutrients very fast. Varying the light levels too much will cause them to go into adaptation mode again, so, keep the conditions as stable as you can until the plants have adapted to your tank and really start growing. If they're still looking "anemic" after about 30 days of being in your tank, then you can start looking into causes ;)

What/which roots tabs are you using btw?

14. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Thanks for all the info. I'm using the Flourish root tabs. How often do you put new ones in? I have a 3/4 a box in there currently and it's been 2.5 weeks. How big of tanks are you using the Flourich Excel with? My CO2 tank just ran out and I still have half a bottle of it. I will give it a shot with it to see how well it continues to grow with just Excel. Should I continue with the EI Dosing method with my dry ferts, Flourish Comp, and Iron?

15. Fizgig777

Fizgig777 New Member

I usually add a new root tab every few months -- I think Flourish's timetable is 3mos -- depending on how my plants are growing (when growth slows down again, I know it's time for a new tab, but I don't recommend that sort of time measuring stick so use the directions on the box until you know your plants well enough to deviate from that). As for F. Excel, I use it with both my tanks. Tropical Haven is a 22 USG and Goldie Haven is ~300 USG. Depending on stocking levels, the dosing varies. But if you're comfy with using CO2, then by all means -- it's cheaper for bigger tanks. I can't use it in Goldie Haven because the Goldfish have trouble breathing in CO2 dosed tanks and I also travel a lot, leaving others in charge of the tanks where Excel is much less of a disaster in the making.

As far as the root tabs, I find it best to NOT cover the whole tank floor with them like the instructions say... I put one tab in for each of my big swords (not right at the base of the plant, but about 1/2" away into the root system) and 1 shared tab for 2 smaller swords (put in the substrate between the two plants). Only the heavy root feeders get root tabs and that's been working for me for years.

Keep dosing the rest of your ferts. The plants are using them... If you notice algae starting to take over, maybe back off a bit on those (except the iron). Swords fill out their roots first, so you may need to have some patience in seeing new leaf growth -- but you should see some within the first 2 wks. as well as a slow down in the old leaf die off within 30 days. If you want to boost the rate of recovery, you can yank the plant(s) out, cut away 50% of the outer leaves (or the ones that don't match in shape to the new growth coming up), trim the roots back by 60%, then replant. If you choose to do the latter, be warned that releasing the root tab material into the water column will cause an algae bloom. Alternatively, you can speed things up a bit by just doing the leaf culling without uprooting the plant(s).

Hope that helps!

16. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

That tank is 300 gallons!?!

Thanks for the help! I have the day off today and plan on working on it a bit.

17. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

So I did a little replanting, bought a mini powerhead, and put some moss on the dw. I don't know how I feel about the replanting. I spread the dwarf sag out a little bit more to help with the growing in process. Moved the anubia to a hole in the dw. Please give me some guidance on what I'm doing wrong as to why it looks weird. Or am I just not being patient enough for it to grow in? And of course, let me know what you think!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Fizgig777

Fizgig777 New Member

Now just sit back and watch it fill in ;) The plants look healthy, too :proud:

Yes, yes it is. Goldfish tanks tend to be on the large side (if the fish are properly cared for, that is).

19. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Would you move the anubia on the right side of the dw back to the lower left in the substrate?

20. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

sometimes i am hesitant to give advice coz i can not do the right thing with my own tank:))

if you are really interested with aquascaping....get inspiration from the images
    from IAPLC or AGA contest results;) you have a nice big tank and i love it.good luck:Happy: