1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Looking For Advice On My 55

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by JEden8, Sep 4, 2011.

1. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Something that might be able to be done is take one of those stones, drill two holes in it and wrap some wire through them. On the right side of the log, there is a branch that sticks up. Right now the rocks sit on top of it to hold it down. If I could get this to work I could loop it around the branch and bury the rock beneath the substrate and hide the wire, or whatever I use, with substrate as well. I just want to make sure that there is still some shade for the fish. Any natural ideas for that?

Sponsored link:

2. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

i did a kind of that place to hide in my first scape ever. i used a nice piece of wood and put lava rock on it. i ll post a picture later or the next days cause im a little bit busy over the weekend... meeting friends, workshop with oliver knott etc. anyway you can try to attach the wood in a diffrent way. would be better if the flat rock is not this visible :).

3. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

Here s the picture of my first scape ever <):)
    In the back you can see the holes the fish can hide... covered with some javamoss.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe this can help you to create something of your own. Try out a little bit... :)

4. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Beautiful tank! Especially for your first ever! I don't know how I would incorporate lava rock in this tank setup though. Could maybe do a very large piece of PVC piping and paint it black or brown and cover it in plants and moss in the back right corner. I'm going to try to get some wire this weekend to attach to the rock and attempt to hold it down that way. Don't know for sure if I'll be able to get it done this weekend or not. I just did a water change and pulled out quite a few of the rocks. Still don't know if there are too many or not. I also tied down a couple pieces of Java Fern due to my loaches pulling them out at night. Once the water clears up a bit I'll post up some pictures.

5. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Still need more out?

6. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

better :) now you could attach some of your be loved starmoss on every 3 th or 4 th stone :)

7. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

haha gotta order it first. Trying to figure out the best plants then I'll order everything at once. The only problem is getting it shipped to Florida is crazy expensive with the heat. I've been trying to find some stores around here locally.

8. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

good luck :)

9. tenshu

tenshu New Member

IMHO those round stones aren't feeling "natural", I don't really like it.

10. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

you have to imagine it with a forground carpet an moss on some stones. it could become really nice looking. for me normal stones would look displaced. in the final result you won't see so much that the stones are round. but lets see what comes out. if it s not looking good, there ll be no problem to put the stones out.

11. Kuni

Kuni New Member

This attitude is very common among aquascapers, which I find funny given that rounded stones are found quite frequently underwater. Or maybe you meant the color?

12. tenshu

tenshu New Member

No, they are are disposed as a "carpet" equally separated each other.
    This is what i mean by "not natural".

13. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Sorry for the lack of updating. Been crazy busy at work and haven't had the time to do anything further. The one question I have, I have been fertilizing daily and using Seachem Flourish Excel and my plants are actually dying, not growing. Any ideas?

14. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

hi mate, not good to hear that. how many ml are you adding daily? are you adding co2? what signs does the plants give? turn yellow, become transparent? are they complete dying or just some leafs? if you replant the plants often it is normal that they start to loose there old leafes before they start to grow. how many fish you have in the tank? enough nitrat in the tank? please trim the dead leafs out and try to make a picture how the plants look like before you trim them.

15. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

The only CO2 I'm using at the time is the Seachem Flourish Excel. The plants themselves have shown no signs of regrowing at all. All the leaves were breaking down on everything. So what I did was took all but a few plants out of the tank and placed them in my 30 gallon that has pressurized CO2 and goes through the daily dosing of fertilizers as well. So hopefully this will revive majority of the plants. I saved as much as I could fit in the 30.

I got the big rocks out finally and I'm currently working on the sloping of the substrate. I wanted to look at it how I had it before on here and how you recommended to do it so I get it done right. Once the water clears when I'm done I'll have some pictures up.

16. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

So the water is still a little cloudy but my wife and I are about to leave for the day so I thought I'd post up a pick for any advice. What do you think about it without the rock?

[​IMG]

17. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Also, if I start out fresh, what are some good plants for this tank?

18. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

ferns on the dw, some anubias and crypts l. brasiliensis or glosso. moss. :)

19. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

What about placement? I'm bad at placing plants in the right places.

20. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

ferns on the dw, anubias to the dw foots. crypts to the rear corners, glosso or l. brasiliensis as carpet, moss on some rock/stone.