1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Looking For Advice On My 55

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by JEden8, Sep 4, 2011.

1. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

So I am redoing my 55 gallon. I just purchased a large piece of driftwood last night and got it in there. Here's a picture of what it looks like:

[​IMG]

I'm looking for advice on how I should plant this as far as what types of plants. I like the look of this tank:

[​IMG]

This is a 180 gallon discus tank that is planted just with Java Moss and Java Fern. The theme of the tank that I am wanting to do is a river theme. I just don't know how well this log will look with just Java Fern attached. Another idea that I had was keeping the taller grass on the left side and using some rotala to make a bushy appearance on the right side. What do you think would be the best idea? The tank is mainly for my clown loaches until they get about 3-4 inches then I'll be upgrading to a 120+ gallon aquarium for them. I appreciate everyone's help with this! Thanks!

Sponsored link:

2. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

i would add more substrate an slope it to the back on both sides to create more depth. on the wood (which is a beautifull piece :) ) i would use javafern all the way. in the middle i would plant some small hairgrass or l. brasiliensis the whole way to the back. on the left and right corner i would add some kind of stemplants. thats what i would do ;)

3. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Thanks for the info! I have everything growing in my 30 gallon grow tank right now. I have dwarf sag is that comparable to the hairgrass or should I go pick up some of that? For the back right corner I was thinking of going with rotala but the left side I didn't know what I should use. For lighting I'm at 2 wpg but can go up to 4 wpg by turning on my other two pc bulbs. I was thinking of planting the java fern in the holes to get them to establish a good root system and then in between the java fern I'd attach some java moss. However, I was thinking that some star moss would look pretty cool on there as well. What do you think would be the best moss for it?

4. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

the dwarf sag could reach a high about 6 inch. for my taste it is to high for a foreground carpet. i would use smaller carpeting plant. anyway thats your decision. try out a little bit ;). you could use d.sag around the wood for example. i used fixing ties to plant the javafern on wood... it holds perfectly.are you adding co2? can you give some tech specs? filtration, ferts, co2...

5. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

I guess I didn't realize that it could get that tall. I'll pick up some hairgrass and give that a shot to see how it looks. What type of moss should I use? Have you ever used that star moss that I mentioned earlier? i just thought it looked really cool.

Here is the information for my ferts calculated in PPM with weekly dosing:

NO3 Nitrate: 22.98 PPM
    PO4 Phosphate: 3.52 PPM
    K Potassium: 16.74 PPM
    Fe Iron: .42 PPM

I'm using the EI Dosing method with the following:

Dry Ferts:
    KN03
    KH2PO4
    K2SO4

Liquid Ferts:
    Seachem Flourish Comprehensive
    Seachem Flourish Iron

I was using Flourish Excel before I decided to redo my tank and have ran out. I've been debating on if I want to transfer my pressurized CO2 tank from my 30 gallon over to this for a light amount of CO2 or if I should just continue using a liquid form. The owner of my LFS recommended staying with liquid as the pressurized can cause a major PH drop. I don't know if this is just so he keeps getting money from me or not. Or is there a better liquid CO2 version to use? I'm open to ideas!

I know I explained my lighting but I have a Coralife Aqualight Pro with 4x65 watt PC bulbs. I am currently only using two of them with 6500K bulbs.

It currently has a Marineland Penguin 400 HOB filter (which I hate). I wish that I had more filtration but the water is clear but with Clown Loaches I hear that a higher filtration rate is best.

My water is kept at 76* and I do weekly 40% water changes. I used to do 50% water changes but for some reason with the last two water changes I've lost some tiger barbs. It was only the barbs that seemed affected as every other fish were perfectly fine.

I'm trying to think of any other information that may help but can't think of anything else. If you need more info let me know! Thanks a lot for the help!

6. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

i ve tried javamoss, riccia fluitans, flamemoss and fissidens only. no experience with starmoss, but it s definatly a beautiful moss. i ask co2 cause moss grows best with adding co2. i m using a bio co2 from dennerle (simply not enough, going to buy pressurized as soon as i can) and easylife carbo at the moment. if you decide to use moss and a carpeting plant i would use pressurized co2. And i would buy a better filtration as well to get more flow. otherwise the carpet could become very dirty after a while if there are flow death spots. to answer your question... i can imagine some starmoss on the round rocks you have in the middle way under the wood. i think it will be looking great if some of them are planted with starmoss surounded by the carpet... could give a nice natural look. on the wood i would only use ferns.
    no problem mate, i m glad if i can help you in this mission ;).

7. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Went and picked up more substrate today. Added it in and letting it clear up. I'll post some pics once I get the plants back in! I have some Java Fern attached to the log and my buddy hooked me up with a stem plant that looks like grass. No idea what it is. Maybe you know? I'll post them up when I'm done tonight.

8. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

looking forward to see it bro :). keep us posted!

9. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

So here's a pic after a replanting and adding more substrate. I haven't had a chance to get any hair grass yet for your idea in the center. Am I heading in the right direction or should I do something different?

[​IMG]

10. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

try the front with a straight line forming substrate. Pushing the substrate with what's left behind. The center looks pretty good, but where are the round stones go? Put the round stones beneath the root along the back. The larger front, rear, the smaller ... to create more depth. You can also take as I l. brasiliensis as a front ground planting. But let us first look at the hardscape;).

11. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

What do you mean by a straight line forming substrate? Sorry, first time hearing something like this.

The rocks are sitting on my table right now. I planned on putting them back in but wanted to make sure the plants are good where they were before I did any of that. I'll put them back in when I get home from work. Thanks for the tip on the larger to the front and smaller to the rear for depth. Didn't think of that.

I'll try and find that here locally in my LFS.

The one thing that I woke up to was a bunch of my plants pulled up in the back right side where the two pieces of slate are due to the fish going in and out of that as their hiding spot. Any tips to keeping those plants down? I'll have some more pictures up when I get the rocks in place tonight. Thanks again for the help!

12. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

I mean that the substrate in front of you tank looks like a heart rate ^-^-^-^- ;).
    I would keep the substrate in a line ------------ at the front of the tank. And how tall is the substrate in front? could be a little more less for my taste. Then you have more substrate what you can slope to the rear. I m really sorry for my bad english, have to use translator sometimes.

Edit:Like this. Hope it explains itselfs. :)
    [​IMG]

13. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

No that makes perfect sense now. Thanks for the picture! The slope in the back corners and through the log was the same look that I was trying to do but didn't too well. The substrate up front is really thick and I don't like it too much. I was thinking of cutting it down to just barely over the plastic. Is that about the right height? I'll gut the plants when I get home and attempt to re-slope everything and I'll get some pics up. Thanks again!

14. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

I dont know how tall your plastic is. I did around 3 cm Substrate in front. Thats quiet enough for myl. brasiliensis.

15. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Letting the water clear from messing with the substrate. I'll post some pics when it all settles. I like the look but the plants I'm not too sure of.

16. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

So the water has cleared up a bit for some pictures.

Here is a picture of the substrate and the hardscape. I think it looks pretty good. What about you?
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the plants back in. This part I'm not too happy with. Don't know really if it's just the plants I used, not enough plants, or the layout just isn't right. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

17. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

better allready but not good enough. you think the same, do you? ;) first of all there are to much stones in the middle now. take around every 4 th out, and consider to let some space in front... around 4-5 cm. do you need this tall rock? will otherwise the wood float? dont mind the plants first, as i said... first we do the hardscape :) ;)

18. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Alright. I'll take every 4th rock out when I get home from work.

Unfortunately for the time being, I need to keep those large rocks in there to hold it down. I can't get the log in there and had to take the rocks off the bottom of it and broke it into 2 pieces for a better look. Is there a better idea to hold it down so I don't have to use them?

19. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

cause of that they are very flat rocks...it looks like... you could drill a small hole trough the rock and screw it on the wood, after that you put the rock under the substrate. but you have to work carefully and the screw should have a flathead... otherwise the glas could be scratched. thats the only idea i have... but it would look much better without them or if you can hide them under the substrate.

20. JEden8

JEden8 New Member

Unfortunately that's how it came and it wouldn't fit into the tank so I had to take it off. Wish I could get rid of it as well but both pieces are needed in order to hold it down until it gets water logged. My guess is 6 months - 1 year haha.

Didn't get anything done last night. Poker and football. I'll get some more done tonight/this weekend and post up some more pics.