1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a bit of help (New to Aquascaping)

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by alexander, May 11, 2015.

1. alexander

alexander New Member

Hey everyone! I recently discovered I need a hobby whilst sitting bored watching TV and have been amazed by the beautiful tanks people create. I'd love to be a part of it and create my own little world, however I don't know much about the technical side of Aquascaping, but that's why I'm here; I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me some information or just a few tips when starting a new tank. The tank I have is 40L so it isn't the biggest, but I feel it will be just a nice size.

Also, I live right next to a dene with a little stream running through it. It's populated by little grey fish and covered in moss and other goodness. Would I be able to use moss/plants/fish from the stream in my tank?

2. isla

isla Aspiring Aquascaper

hi alexander ,
    welcome here .
    can you fill your location ?
    what is the dimension of your tank ?

isla.

3. alexander

alexander New Member

Hi,

I'm not too sure on the tank dimensions as I'm not at home, but I think the tank is 28L.

I found a similar looking one on Google below to give you an idea

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  4. Solcielo lawrencia

Solcielo lawrencia Aspiring Aquascaper

1. If you want a planted tank, you'll need to learn how to grow aquatic plants and how they grow out. Then you can use this knowledge to arrange a nice-looking layouts. This is a long-term learning endeavor and requires a lot of patience since you have to wait for the plants to grow. It requires mandatory knowledge of the interaction between a) light, b) nutrients, and c) carbon-source (CO2 or glutaraldehyde.) Fail at any of these three interacting parts and the plants will stunt or die.

2. Hardscape layout is another matter but generally easier since what you arrange is what you get. Good end results requires an artistic and sensitive eye for details. Art classes, especially in composition, can benefit greatly in this process. The medium is different, but the method is the same. You can achieve a beautiful and artistic layout with hardscape alone, i.e. sand, rocks, and branches.

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

alexander,

Welcome to ASW, the best advice I can give to you at the moment is do as much research here at ASW then post the photos of what you would like to do.

If you are thinking of using plants and fish from etc from a local creek it would have to be a cold water tank.

Keith:):)

John N. and greenfinger 2 like this.
  6. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Alexander, Welcome to ASW (y)

Good to hear you will be using things from nature ;) One thing do some research on the little grey fish?? As little fish turn into big fish and could out grow your tank :(

John N. likes this.
  7. alexander

alexander New Member

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice :D

I've decided I'm not going to be getting the things I need from nature in my first tank, I just have a feeling it would be easier to learn buying things and focusing on getting the hang of it all first.

After looking around I found some inspiration on what I would like my tank to look like (Picture below). This way I'll be able to get the little pebbles from the stream and still have a part of nature in the tank, I guess :) It might not be the best layout or design for an aquascape, but it seems to be one of the simplest.

[​IMG]

So, what sort of plants/substrate do you guys recommend for a low tech tank?

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

EDIT: The tank I have is an Aquastart 320, it's 32W x 38H x 32D cm (Just to give you an idea of size)

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    John N. likes this.
  8. isla

isla Aspiring Aquascaper

hi ,
    i think , no one can decide for you .
    you have to make a choice and put it here , one can tell you if is good way or bad way ....

look at some easy plants : http://tropica.com/en/plants?tabIndex=1&alias=Easy
    as they dont need heavy all , (co2, light, nutrient ...)

9. greenfinger 2

Hi Alexander, The photo is my first Cube Scape :LOL::LOL: Simple yes:D Its call KIS ""Keep it simple"" One of the best bit of advice Keith gave me (y)
    When looking for the river stones :) Best place to look is around a small gravel bar that's above the water line ;)
    One photo of how the Scape looked after a couple of months :)

Looking forward to your updates ;)

Attached Files:

• 02.JPG
      02.JPG
      File size:
      2.1 MB
      Views:
  10. alexander

alexander New Member

Ah the tank looks great, good job!

Just wondering, did you use any substrate under the pebbles? If you did, what kind?

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  11. keithgh

alexander

Roy I found the original Creek bed photo.

[​IMG]

After a little Photoshop I came up with this to show Roy Nature is full of ideas all you have to do is look.

[​IMG]

After plenty of adjustments Roy finally came up with an excellent Aquascape and as it developed it finished one of the best small Aquascapes I had seen for a long time.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  12. greenfinger 2

Hi Alexander, Under the pebbles is just black quarts gravel with added fert tabs:) After a couple of months just add extra fert tabs to keep the plants growing well ;)

13. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Thank you :) That's the photo that gave me the Scape idea ;) After that we never stopped working together on our projects:cool: I must admit its been a whole lot of fun working with you and Evelyn over the last two years how time fly's :D

moss_maniac and keithgh like this.
  14. keithgh

Thank you Roy, these days its rare a member stays around and helps others with what they learnt plus is still prepared to admit they are still learning.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  15. moss_maniac

moss_maniac Aspiring Aquascaper

Two years already, Roy?:whistle:
    But it ws a pleasure to me - thank you!

greenfinger 2, John N. and keithgh like this.
  16. alexander

alexander New Member

Hi guys, so I ended up jumping in at the deep end and bought everything.

I set up the wood, planted the plants then filled it up and sorted out the water, however, the water turned cloudy. From what I've read this is a common thing in new tanks and is normally just a bacteria boom, but then it turned this colour (picture below) and now you can't even see the back of the tank.

[​IMG]

I think it might be the wood I have in the tank as I seen something similar on google but am not 100% sure, so just wondering if anyone knows what it could be?

Thanks,
    Alex

EDIT: The filter is large but it's just a temporary till i get a smaller one.

17. keithgh

Alex

No image, try using Photo bucket.

Its great starting out with a new Aquascape but you will find it rather hard to do any major changes if things are not all OK and changes have to be made to create a better Aquascape.