1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Live stream from the IAPLC-Party and new ADA Award by public voting

Discussion in 'News Around the World' started by Jurijs mit JS, Sep 9, 2011.

1. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Yep, it is on a Saturday, so 5am for me, but middle of the night for the US.. :) Maybe get pizza's and connect to a projector?

Sponsored link:

2. Kimppa

Kimppa Aspiring Aquascaper

Yeah you guys could play "spot the swede" when watching the show!
    I´m flying to Japan tomorrow!

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

that game sounds too easy ;)

Have fun!

4. ghostsword

Well jealous! Wave to the camera often!

5. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

@ShadowMac. Sure deal. Let's do it:rock:

@Luis. If I am following, I can record it on my computer but I'll probably not be able to share it legally :(

@Kimppa. n'joy my friend. If we survive 2012, I plan to make it to the event in 2013.

6. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Kimppa,
    Please share some photos after the party. Have fun and good luck - ADA AWARD

7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

so what time is it in US central time?

8. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

11pm central.

9. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

new judging criteria next year but no tank size category yet :(

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Shadow

I personally don't like the new judging method

The top 200 was selected by IAPLC steering team which is fine. The top 100 however is selected by contestant, aquarium shop, magazine around the world. Thus those country with small participant and shop will be at disadvantage. Let face it, most people will vote their own country or nationality. The grand champion selection even worst because only party participant can vote and which country do you think have the most party participant?

I guess they were trying to have more fun at the party.

11. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

If it was complained about before this new process will be complained about more!!! However if it is to be judged by public to get to top 100 that means the top 200 photos have to be released much earlier so one cool thing.

Not so sure it is a case of countries here. However who has the loudest voice and publicises/markets themselves well. lobbys on facebook and all forums getting people to vote for them is sure to make top 100.

So anyone who wants that few weeks advertising space on my website for their scape contact for prices. lol (<-------that is a joke BTW)

Still say they should send all the photos to me and I'll give them a top 100 within 2 weeks. lol

Andy

12. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

:eek:i am late.....it says "off the air"see you next year:-?

it seem i dont have the chance to bag the grand prize anymmore:rolleyes::))

13. ghostsword

So the top will be selected by public vote? The logistics will be hard to implement, at that scale, but it will make the top choice a public vote, world public vote.

Not all countries will be on the top class, so I think that more people per country vote rigging will be hard to see.

I like the new voting system as it will see copies of previous scapes outvoted, not just NA style winning, and see the hobby move from a few people choosing what is good to the world being the ones saying what it actually wants and the trend being set by the hobbyists themselves.

I am not naive, there are hurdles to cross still, vote rigging may occur, but I believe that we are on he right path.

Hats off to ADA. They willingly relinquished the power of choosing the top Aquascape and passed to the hobbyists that responsibility.

14. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

Japan hasn't had a grand champion for awhile.
    This might just be the way to get one. :-"

Unless we all buy tickets to the party and ensure we are well represented. Not likely.
    Can't compete with the number of local participants who will invariably vote for themselves.
    We can only hope for a split vote among themselves.

I think they have lost objectivity.

15. Button

Button New Member

This is it. And it was not really fair then they have two winners from Japan and Hong Kong both had the same score of 64 points and ADA insteasd of share the place between two started a new voting by asking the NA party participants to stand up by turns in supporting one of the winners. Guess who was the majority? =)
    But the positive thing is that it makes no sense any more to hide the works till the Ceremony. That's good.

16. Shadow

I know what I can do, I will create 100 scape, submitted under different name and all of them will vote my real tank ;). With assumption my real tank will be in top 200 :)). That way I will sure get 101 votes or maybe I just pay someone to do it, just like gold mining at world of warcraft ;).

17. biobio

biobio Aspiring Aquascaper

Give peace a chance!
    Give a chance to the new voting system!
    ASW staff already had experience with such combine voting system.
    Maybe they can share their knowledge and experiences about possibility of cheating.
    Changing is good and for me the most important thing is that such voting system means: all competing tanks to be at open source (on Internet) at high resolution.
    No more need for searching at different places, no more need for hacking photos, no more hiding.
    Everything will be more transparent: good for aquascaping and for sure good for ADA business...

18. ghostsword

Give the new voting a chance. It can be biased for sure, but if none of the Japanese works get pass the 200 places they will not get to the party vote.

Let's see what happens next year, but I think that copies of previous work will be sorted out, more eyes now.

19. Shadow

Not possible, historically there will be many Japanese in top 200 and at least one in the top 7. :))

But I see something good. Hobbyist will start posting their tank long before the voting start to get more supporter. ;) Unless ADA said cannot, only unpublished work can be submitted :))

Anyway lets wait and see.

20. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

you somehow have to limit the votes by individual person by 1 at all or 1 per day or what ever..
    this can be easily achieved within a login at IAPLC webpage and to login you have to participate the contest, otherwise there is no proof you are into aquascaping.

sure somebody got selected into top 200 may start asking his buddys to vote for him, but I don´t think this is a problem. Everybody will do so and a country like japan with numerours participants will be represented multiple times in the top200 so the public voting power will be splitter, e.g. if there is only one participant from germany or uk - more people are likely to support him in his country. And last but not least, ethical discussions (like this one) will appear and people might vote independent so I think this gonna be balanced and if the news system fail, they still can ask Andy to sort it out in 2 weeks only ;) :proud: