1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Lindsay's first real planted tank.

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Linds, Jan 31, 2013.

1. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Linds, nice one:D looks like you have 2 happy fish (y) is that a smile on the little guys face;) cheers roy

Sponsored link:

2. Linds

Linds Aspiring Aquascaper

Yeah man. It certainly looks like it. It's so much fun to watch them. one stays on the nest and the other goes off for a while then they swap.

As long as the parents don't eat them I reckon I have a chance of raising some. There are no catfish in the tank. The rainbows never go to the bottom and if they go near the nest the rams chase them. I haven't seen the shrimp in days so I reckon they might be dead/eaten but even if they tried to eat the eggs I think the rams would chase them too if they didn't eat them. I think the shrimp were too big for the rams to eat though. In one go anyway.

I love these rams. they are so inquisitive. I planted the tank the next day after they were introduced. I dug a hole for the plants and the rams were there under my fingers in the way. They were in the hole before I could even get the plant near it.

The rainbows, on other hand, are scared of their own shadow. But they are slowly loosening up. they are getting a bit more colour too.

Linds

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  3. Kcraven

Kcraven Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey Linds, have you found out much about the eggs and breeding your rams? Hope all is going well mate ;)

4. Linds

Update time.

Well, I'm moving interstate. At this stage I don't have a 'permanent' house as I will be staying in my sister's house until I get a place.

So I have my two tanks. One I am just going to pull down ans wait until I move. This tank I want to leave set up though. My crypst are rowing like crazy. My sword ( although it still has algae from it's old tank) it seems to be producing a lot of bubbles. I assume this is O2. One leaf in particular has a constant stream of bubbles coming out one stomata I presume.

20130519_164943.jpg

My rams have just had their third batch of eggs. This time they are not hanging around guarding the nest as much. Maybe this is a good sign because the last two times they have eaten them. But besides this I spent a bit on these fish and I'd like to keep them.

I am having a bit of an algae problem. It's not really bad. Pics below.
    Most of it is right up the top near the light. I am dosing EI. Light is on for 8h now. CO2 is going in at upwards of 4bps. Drop checker is green.

20130523_203809.jpg 20130523_203757.jpg

What I want to do is make this tank so my mum can look after is until I am settled in in Melbourne. I can keep the Co2 going but I want to know what to do with ferts and water changes. Can you dose weekly after a water change?

Any input welcome

Linds

5. Linds

OMG! I found a shrimp!

A month ago when I got my fish I put 4 CRS in my tank. I know one is dead because I found it on the floor dry. I though the others must have suffered a similar fate or been eaten etc. As I haven't seen them since. I was scraping algae and removing leaves today before I leave the tank in mum's care when I cam face to face with a shrimp. It is twice the size of when I put it in there.

20130531_214311.jpg

It has doubled in size while the ones in my other tank have not grown at all. I put the remaining one into this tank the other day, hopefully it may live too. Who knows. But I'm very excited to see it.

Kcraven likes this.
  6. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Linds, Glad to here that :) Took me some time to spot the shrimp no wonder you have probs seeing them :D(y)Cheers roy

7. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Lindsay

Mine are hiding on and off all day.

At feeding time when I put in the front corner a big Algae Tab out they come, same when I add a few greens.

Keith:):)

8. Linds

:ROFLMAO: You're a funny one. The photo looks terrible, but I had just finished stirring up the whole tank.

Linds

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  9. Linds

I think mine have plenty to feed on without me adding extra. My rainbows don't ever eat off the bottom or anywhere near it. My rams don't so much like anything that doesn't move but sometimes will eat things off the bottom as they land or if they are hungry.

I think I have spoilt them. I gave the fish some flake food yesterday and they didn't eat it. They love the frozen blood worms and brine shrimp though.

Linds

kinyko likes this.
  10. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

oh, cure golden rams!!

Linds likes this.