1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Lindsay's 20L

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Linds, Mar 6, 2013.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Lindsay

Be very careful you do not import a "nasty" into your tank double check every thing first, which I am sure you did.

Keith:):)

Sponsored link:

2. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Lucky one for find living things in water near your home. Parks in Paris are so clean you can't even found mosquitos... :)

About shrimps, they only moment mine are very active (hear swimming all over the tank, up and down, back & forward...) is when some female has just melt and (sexual) hormones are spread all over the tank. Else, they kind of live a peaceful live and you nearly don't see them unless you really seek them. I try to shot a small movie in my 22-24°C tank so you can compare their behavior to yours.

3. keithgh

[​IMG]

ptiJo
    This is what Aussies would call his back yard.

I have been Fishing in similar parts of Aust and words cannot describe it.

Most if not all the creeks and rivers run crystal clean and teaming with wild life

ShadowMac and greenfinger 2 like this.
  4. Linds

Linds Aspiring Aquascaper

Keith, thanks. I did look up what they were before I put them in. They might be carrying smaller nasties but nothing that isn't in the water already (as it comes from the river).

I tried your algae wafer trick. hmmm, my shrimp don't seem to care. Still no sign of them and the tablet is there untouched lol.

Jo, If you shot a video with a shrimp in it doing anything at all it would be more than mine ;)

So anyway, I can't see any of the mayfly lave anymore, they may have been eaten or they might be hiding out with the shrimp.

Linds

5. Linds

I took these when I was collecting the bugs.

20130519_163155.jpg 20130519_162244.jpg

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  6. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Linds, Shrimp sometimes i don't see my one's for weeks :( Then bam there all over the place strange little things :) mayfly lave bet there in the gravel hiding :mad: Still nice to hear things picking up now:)Cheers roy

7. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

8. Linds

Probably are. I find them under rocks.

Linds

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

What you have is not a reactor, it is an inline atomizer, exactly what I was running before switching to the Cerges reactor.

BUT, considering the size of your tank a reactor is totally unnecessary. Forgot the size of tank we are talking about. Just in case you are curious though... A cerges style reactor is basically a water filtration canister where the CO2 is injected on the intake side, a PVC pipe extends the outtake to the bottom of the canister so only water with dissolved CO2 moves out of the chamber. Mine has a few modifications that make the water inside more turbulent which makes the reactor more efficient. I purchased mine from a place that makes and sells them, because I'm lazy and don't always like to DIY. The modifications could easily be added. It is a simple reactor to make really, you just need to be able to shove a lot of flow through it, so an over sized canister filter is a good idea. I can take a video of mine in action if you are interested further. The two modifications are a pump in the bottom with a tube attached to the output so it shoves water from the bottom into the top of the canister increasing turbulence at the injection location and a small bit of coarse filter sponge just above the pump around the outlet PVC pipe to prevent large bubbles from getting into the bottom portion and keeping bubbles submerged.

Here is a link to a thread discussing DIY of a cerges. The pic in the first post is exactly what I run, except I stripped down all the turns and bends in the piping to maintain as high of flow as I can. So it has a straight barb on the intake and a 90 deg elbow on the output side so I can connect easily to my outflow directly above in my tank. I try to minimize the length of tubing between water leaving the tank and returning. I don't use the ball valves which make managing maintenance a little PITA, but again more work for less flow restriction. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/81554-cerges-reactor.html

10. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

hehe! nice !

I love the first scape!

BTW, here's a quick (and dirty) look at the shrimps. That time, they were quite active... Not as much as what can be seen when a female melt thought. Maybe the Hollywood call :p

11. keithgh

Lindsay.

What else is in that water Yabbies YUM YUM

My shrimps just love the Algae tabs.

A few days ago I squashed 3 snails on the front glass and within minutes they were there having a feast.

I small piece of Iceberg lettuce will bring them around as well.

12. Linds

Thanks.

That photo Keith posted is 5 min down the road from my place. I'm leaving this behind though to live in Melbourne. I'm certainly going to miss it. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to move my tanks.

I used to be able to to see one of the shrimp hiding under a rock, but I can't actually see them at all now. I don't know where they hide. Maybe they come out at night.

Linds

13. keithgh

Lindsay

You are leaving that to live in POOlutionville please tell me you are kidding.

14. Linds

Ha ha, I don't eat shellfish :)

I'm sure there are lots of things in there. More carp than any other fish though :(. They have killed off most of the other fish.

Linds

15. Linds

I just got accepted into Melbourne School of Fashion. Otherwise I'd not be moving. I love where I live but I can't do what I love for work here.

Linds

16. Linds

Ok, but it doesn't produce bubbles in the filter outlet. I thought it must work on some membrane.

I had another near gassing today. I discovered it before the fish were all half dead. there were 2 on the top gasping a bit. I turned of the co2 and went to lunch.

I worked out how I thought the Cerges reactor worked and that is pretty close. I wouldn't mind seeing what the pump does though. I can't really tell where it is atm from what you said.

My DIY reactor on my 80L tank works on the same basic principle as the Cerges reactor. just instead of the water returning back up to the top it goes out the bottom. The undissolved gas stays around the top. I like this one because I can adjust the CO2 without having to worry that it may increase later. If 2bps is going through the bubble counter I know that won't change. With the other one (in this 20L tank) one minute it may be a bubble every 2 seconds, the next it might be 4+bps. I will have to start using something else I think. I just like the size of this atomiser. The others are so large for a tiny tank.

Here is a link to a thread discussing DIY of a cerges. The pic in the first post is exactly what I run, except I stripped down all the turns and bends in the piping to maintain as high of flow as I can. So it has a straight barb on the intake and a 90 deg elbow on the output side so I can connect easily to my outflow directly above in my tank. I try to minimize the length of tubing between water leaving the tank and returning. I don't use the ball valves which make managing maintenance a little PITA, but again more work for less flow restriction. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/81554-cerges-reactor.html[/quote]

I like this thread. The ones I saw were not transparent so I sort of had to guess what was going on. I still can see what the pump is doing though. Is it just boosting the flow? I have two of these filters that used to be at the dairy. I might pinch one to use.

The at the moment I have to have my outflow in a big loop as it is to get from my canister outlet to the floor to go back up through my inline heater and then the atomiser before I get to the tank. But I'm quite happy with the flow, it is more than enough for the tank. Any more I'd have a whirlpool :D

I'm also having a 'issue' with drop checkers. Mine never goes blue. It is blue when I initially put the solution in, but once I have the CO2 going for the day it stays green until the next day. It did turn yellow the day I gassed the fish, so I know it works somewhat. It also turned yellow green today before I turned it off. It is the same in both my tanks.

Linds

17. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

I know nothing about CO2 injection. But what I know is that you mustn't add CO2 to a tank at night. Photosynthesis requires light to work. At night, plants only breathe "normally" and turn O2 into CO2. As I understand your sentence, it looks like you're "polluting" the water at night (hear making it not breathable for animals) and turning it (a bit) more acidic.

18. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

For your atomizer to work properly you need at least 30 psi of working pressure. If you don't have that you will notice the bubble rate seriously slow as the pressure builds within the line. From the atomizer you should see a "fog" from the outlet. Drop checkers are okay to monitor. They work best when only measuring water with dissolved CO2, when used with an atomizer they give a false positive/falsely high reading as the bubbles enter the chamber and cause a faster reaction that do not necessarily represent the CO2 in the water. If your drop checker is not turning back, it means that your injection of CO2 is exceeding the capacity of the tank to gas it off. Over time you will get a build up within the water. For example, day 1 start of CO2 is at 7 ppm, end of day one it is at 33 ppm, over night you gas off 20 ppm, so start of day 2 is 13 ppm, add the same amount and end of day 2 is 39 ppm. Over time the levels climb until they are too high. I've noticed this phenomena in my own tank as fish are so much happier the first few days after a water change and by the end of the week hide more and are less active. I'm trying to find the balance.

I use in tank atomizers on my 7.5 gallon and 12 gallon and have no troubles. The 7.5 gallon (ADA 30c) has very high light. You should be okay with an inline atomizer. A quality regulator with a good needle valve is important because it can help you avoid fluctuations and keep a steady flow of CO2. Your struggles adjusting it could be due to low working pressure or a needle valve that has trouble staying set. I've noticed that when I adjust due to the pressure I have to wait a bit to see the response from moving my needle valve.

The pump inside the cerges takes water from the bottom and shoots it into the top within the canister. It basically mixes the water inside the canister. The water does move out of the reactor from the bottom. It enters at the bottom of the PVC pipe. Let me know if you want a video of mine and I will try to take one. I plan to set my camera up tonight to get another round of photos for the IAPLC this year.

19. keithgh

Lindsay

That is Fantastic new

I lived and worked not that far from there in Fitzroy for 25 years

Oh how it has changed

20. Linds

You must have misunderstood me. I don't inject CO2 in the dark period. BLindsut thanks anyway.

You can actually inject CO2 all day and night if you want, just as long as you don't add too much. Exactly the same as in the day time. Most don't know plants respirate (as most life forms do) to have energy to function. Plants Also have that ability to Photosynthesise, which, as you say, happens when there is enough light. This is a complicated process which happen in different parts of the plant only part of which is to do with light. But suffice to say that plants produce CO2 24hrs a day. Just they produce Oxygen during the day as well. So injecting CO2 at night is less of an issue of danger and more one of waste as plants can't use it at night.

Linds