1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Lindsay's 20L

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Linds, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Linds

Linds Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi,

Sorry. I didn't see these replies. I've been very busy.

So as it turns out the algae comes off very easily (with my hands alone)

So I trimmed up the HG as best I could.

Did my normal water change and continued as per normal.

Linds

Sponsored link:

2. Linds

Yes, there is CO2 running. But it is pretty high light (as far as I know). There is a bit of some sort of brushy algae. This brown stuff just tuned up while I was away. I don't know if it was increase in surface movement because there was a thick surface skum when I came back and it wasn't even breaking.

I have put Osmocote in the substrate (which is inert). I don't think I need any more yet. But maybe there is not enough. The plants have not been in there that long so I don't think they have had time to establish. Also it's a cold water tank, 18C.

I am looking for a tooth brush to clean the rocks.

Linds

3. Linds

I have a couple of snails. They found their own way into my tank (probably on plants and rocks) one is quite big now. But I hate snails. They breed too quickly. One of each is plenty for me in that respect.

I have two shrimp in there but I think it's too cold for them ideally (though they were sold as cold water). They are not active at all.

I may have some Asellus aquaticus (or something similar) in the river at home. Why do you recommend them? At least I know they can survive the cold. I like interesting stuff like that. Besides they are small if they are what I'm thnking of.

Linds

4. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Hehe, I understand. I don't like Planorbella much. But I like Physa. Plus, my Betta eats them when I'm gone for holiday :D

Which shrimp? And what do you mean whenyou say "cold"?
    I have Neocaridina and Caridina living OK at living-room temperature (20°C this Winter). I also have White Pearl doing well in some outside tank I have ; water is probably about 17°C. Depending on how they were raised, they may take some time to adapt though.

Asellus will eat that brown layer on top of your sand. And as they do, algae won't be able to feed from that dirt decomposition. If you like them, it's worth a try to drop 10 or 20 of them inside.

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

The algae you are describing sounds like brown brush algae (BBA), which is a good indicator of too much light or not enough CO2. Your planting is sparse, so that can be another factor. In this case I do not think nutrient shortage was your issue because you have few plants and they are not nutrient hogs like fast growing stems.

You wouldn't believe how fast I have my CO2 on my 90p to keep up with the very high light. It is a blur of bubbles feeding the reactor.

6. Linds

OOOOOPS. I almost lost all my fauna today. I was fiddling with the CO2 last night and must have ajusted it up a lot. I came in the is afternoon to my fish swimming on top of lemonade. Snails as high as they could get on rocks, 3 shrip out in the open where they never go (in the light). I lifted my return out of the tank so it could gas off the CO2. I have lost one shrimp. But I discovered there were 3. I probably lost a snail or so, but i discovered I have a lot more than I thought. I didn't actually loose any fish (yet), they are swimming ok again now. When I got there they were upside down on their last legs :( They are all huddled in a corner now. but they did eat some blood worms. We'll see what happens.

I think one I have is Planorbella I don't know how quick they can grow but I didn't even see it before I cam back from away. Physa are what I call fluke snails and they live in our cattle troughs and carry the fluke parasites. I used to have them and they breed very fast. But I could get one.

I don't really know what they are. They are the top left in this pic...

http://www.fantasyreef.com/shrimppics/shrimp2.jpg

But they were in a shop temperature tank when I bought them. probably over 20C. My tank is 18C (the lowest setting on my heater). They have been there for a month now. They stay alive but I rarely see them. They hide under the large rock.

I will catch some (they are under every stone in the river) and have a look to see if they are the same.

I think that has to be the case. I didn't have any before I left for the week. then when I came back BAM!

I have very very little BBA. It's not like that at all. It is a brown layer on every lit surface. According to what I can find they are Diatoms (brown algae). But it says it goes away in strong light. So I don't know.

:/ that was like mine today. It was like soft drink. But the good thing was my pH was stable. My KH problems have definitely gone.

Linds

7. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Woops... It's strange that snails died as Physa breathe O2 from air and not the water. Some fish are also enable to get a bit of O2 from air when in emergency ; depending on which they are.

As for your shrimps, those look like Neocaridina heteropoda var. red (aka Red Cherry). Those are quite strong (not to say really strong). Although 18°C is not very hot, they should be able survive. They will get more active since temperature gets a bit higher. I know someone who has them outside and they survived this (french) winter with 20cm of ice on top of their buried tank ;-)

8. Kcraven

Kcraven Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey Linds,
    I have red cherry shrimp up here in Townville and honestly they are breeding and all is well. My water probably sits about 24 degrees but I suspect it will drop down in winter to around the 20 mark. They are really tough compared to other species of shrimp (BY THE WAY I FOUND THERE IS BLUE CHERRY SHRIMP!!!! HAVE YOU HEARD OF THESE????) and you probably won't find them at your local river. Mine are breeding and alot of the young are surviving though I have a few endler guppies that pick them off along with their own offspring!

Sorry about the tank mate hope it all comes back! I am currently having some issues with getting my HC established in my 15 liter tank though I really should be trying harder and giving excel and flourish on a frequent basis! So thats my bad!

good luck mate

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hi Linds, sorry to hear about the close call. Most hobbyists using CO2 experience that at one point or another. I have had my fish to the surface before. It is best to only adjust CO2 when you can be home all day to monitor.

The bubbles I was getting in my tank drove me nuts. I hated the soda water look, so I installed a Cerges style reactor about a month ago. I have to say, I bashed on this reactor in the past but it was my own fault it was ineffective then. It has been great thus far and no more "carbonated" water. I've also upped my lighting SIGNIFICANTLY because of its efficiency. I've increased it by 60% and seen really great growth and colors. I have to caution that when I began I was not ready for this "speed". But after working at the hobby for several years I have learned to manage it.

In short, if you keep at things you will get it all figured out.

I agree that diatoms are usually worse in lower light tanks. Maybe your light is lower than you thought? Could you remind me what you are running over this tank?

10. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Linds, A close call indeed:( good that you got it sorted in time fish should be ok:) Sorry to hear about shrimp :( Good others ok. And i agree with ptijo cheery shrimp :) Nice little things thinking of getting some for my little tank :cool: Good that PH KH ok now. Hope all go's well :D Regards Roy

11. Linds

Interesting. I don't have Physa in my tank, but I have hundreds in the cattle troughs. I didn't loose any snails (that I can see) but I never see them at the surface.

Yes, they are surviving, just not very active.

Linds

P.S. I didn't loose any fish and I can't even see the shrimp that I thought was dead. Maybe it was eaten, but I don't think so. My fish don't eat off the bottom and there are only two other shrimp in there. But I can't see any of them.

12. Linds

The difference between 24 and 18 is the difference between tropical and temperate though. It's a big difference. I'd be interested in getting blue shrimp, that would be cool.

Yes, as you can see ferts are good, they are your friend. :)

Linds

13. Kcraven

Kcraven Aspiring Aquascaper

Yeah mate those blue cherry shrimp sell for like 35 dollars PER SHRIMP. hahaha and only from breeders so there is also a delivery cost! Maybe one day. I don't know if its just a recessive gene going on or not. Will have to investigate!

14. Linds

Yes, I can see that now.

I have two different reactors. A purchased 'in line' reactor on this tank and a DIY basic PVC reactor on my other tank. I don't really get bubbles from either. Well, not noticeable. The bubbles in this tank are so small you really have to look to see them. I could see them the other day because the CO2 concentration was so high.

I can find lots of stuff about Cerges' reactors but nothing to tell me what they are or how they work. Is it basically that water flows in the top where co2 is delivered through a tube and stays at the top until dissolved and passed with the water out the bottom?

If so I have a crude DIY one of those on my larger tank. I don't have the room for this setup on this small tank.

I have one like this. The 'problem' I find with it is once there is pressure in the line I can't get any more CO2 to diffuse. I think this is how I gassed the fish. But it also makes little sense either. I can turn the valve right up if the CO2 has been on for say an hour yet it only comes out at about 1bps. Yet if I turn the co2 solenoid off for a while and let the pressure drop it will come out really fast. This has to have been what happened, I turned it right up without knowing. But then I don't know how it could have put too much gas in the tank either.

Yes. I hope so.

Maybe, I don't really know. It is an Aqua Ray GrowBeam 600 Ultima. All I have on it is through air at 40cm it has 56 umol/sec/m^2 which fits in the high light category from what I can find. The light is 35cm away from the furthest plants and it is the full length of my tank. It is supposed to be a good light. In water I suppose it makes a little diference to the PAR, but it has next to zero red wavelengths so I don't imagine there is much loss. Maybe some in reflection.

I think temperature an substrate have a lot to do with the growth rates I'm seeing. Stuff just grows slower in the cold. Everything happens slower in the cold. I have a endemic plant that is growing very well indeed. It is in it's own pot with some soil. I moved it today and it has large roots growing into the gravel though. I have tried this plant in my low light setup and I have tried it emersed (as it mainly grows naturally) and in low light as well and it dies very quickly. So every indication tells me the light levels are good except for the diatoms. Maybe it is a cold water algae type. I know it grows on the rocks in the river which are in full sunlight, you can't get much higher PAR than in Australia in full sun just under the water.

This is the plant in outside where it grows...

20130417_144214.jpg

This is the piece I planted in my tank a day or so after...

20130417_145118.jpg

This is it now a month and a half on at least 6 times the size it started...

20130518_221745.jpg 20130518_221754.jpg

The plant sometimes gets red, usually in very hot weather in summer.

Linds

15. Linds

Blue is a common colour in yabbies. There are a lot of native shrimp, I don't know if cherry shrimp are one of those.

I don't love shrimp enough to be paying that amount for them. But I love blue. I had small yabbies once and they started eating my fish so I had to get rid of them.

Linds

16. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

I mesured my aquarium lying outside. Temperature was 15°C this "morning" (11am ;-). And the 3 White Pearl that live there are OK. Still doing their... shrimp things :)
    But I "dropped" them there when we had a 20-24°C week early this spring ; temperature was not supposed to go down so much in May...

17. Linds

Maybe I'm expecting shrimp to be more active than they are. But when I see a tank with shrimp in it they don't hide all the time. I can see them. It's not like I have big scary fish in there. The shrimp are about half the size.

Linds

18. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Lindsay

One easy way to see most of your shrimp at the same time is to place 1 large Algae tablet into a open space and look about hr later by that time the tablet will be soft and breaking up very slowly the tablets can last for several hrs before its all gone.

[​IMG]

This is what I mean they just love those Sinking Algae Tabs

This is how I discovered I had Ninja and Darwin Algae eating shrimps.

I have one DAE full of row and its going to be the only way to see if any of the fry are surviving in my tank

Keith:):)

hydrophyte likes this.
  19. Linds

I'll try that. I did my water change and clean today. I saw 2.

Linds

20. Linds

Well I wend bug fishing today. I got some of the things I was talking about. As far as I can tell they are mayfly nymphs. I got 9 . 3 were eaten when I put them in (even though I had just fed the fish) so there are 6 left. They eat algae.

It's your job to find them in the pictures.

20130519_173454.jpg 20130519_174232.jpg

Hopefully they will survive, they should. The water is very similar to their natural conditions. In summer anyway. But it is only 9C in the river atm and 18C in my tank.

Linds