1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Lindsay's 20L

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Linds, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Linds

Linds Aspiring Aquascaper

Hello aquascapers,

A month or so ago I tried a plaudarium in this tank. It didn't do what I wanted it to do so I am rescaping it as a fully submerged tank.

I have have been fiddling with it for a few weeks and I have a couple of layouts I think are worthy of discussion. I have to oppologise for the photos. I spent my money on CO2 and another filter instead of a camera.

I don't have any real knowledge of aquatic plants other than what I have read, so any planting suggestions are also welcome. I do have CO2 I can set up. As yet I have very little lighting though.

So here we go....

Dimentions are

L 45cm W 25cm H 25cm

Filtration is a Fluval 105 I don't have lilly pipes for it yet.

Substrate is and will be gravel sand mix (smallest about 2mm) for now I think. I got this locally (a nearby river). I may get around of mineralised topsoil but for my inexperience with plants maybe I should wait till another setup for that.

The rocks I got from my farm.

I have water in it already because the filter is cycled and I want to keep it that way (I dose ammonia)

As it is now
    2013-03-07 08.59.40.jpg

Another layout...

2013-03-06 15.00.24.jpg

And what I had for a week. I like this one but the rock doesn't actually match. I can't find any more of the one that appears to have yellow on it (It's actually nearly white, just the camera doesn't know that)...

2013-03-05 22.02.31.jpg

That photo was taken with a higher wattage light. I might try the current setup like that to show you how it looks depending on the comments.

Let rip, I can handle it :)

Thanks

Lindsay

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Lindsay
    [​IMG]

This is the one I like very much and the reasons are.

It looks simple yet so natural as nature intended.

The four red dots are the four focal points 3 out of 4 are spot on, the front LH point may be consider a small rock that slopes the same as all the other rocks.

The back LH I would try to make it so that a small flattish rock the tip is at that point, but don't block off the pathway let the path appear to go around and behind that rock.

My only concern is backing it requires something at the back and at the sides main reason is to hide the filter, I would be thinking of a blue sky colour to give it a more natural look.

Over all you are well on the way for a very Aquascape.

I still say you have a natural eye for balancing a nature Aquascape.

Living where you do you are in Aust looking at nature every day and can see its natural beauty.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  3. Linds

Thanks a lot Keith. My only real concern with this one is that there are 3 types of rock. The pointy one on top is a orange brown granite that has been darkened with weather etc. so it matches the one below OK in colour, but moreso in the photo than in person. The gravel is largely granite too so that helps. The little one on the bottom left is very dark, almost black I think it works because the large rock is dark with the quartz vein running through it. The pointy rock on the right also has quartz in it but is lighter.

Obviously in the photo this is not so noticeable, but in person It may eventually annoy me. What do you think?

I'm just about to post an update on my larger tank too. I'll do it on FF as well.

Linds

4. keithgh

Lindsay
    If you are home go outside and look at the rocks in the distance and you will see no two are exactly the same.

Remember as the tank ages there will be natural mosses on those rocks making it even more natural.

Dont look at it as an Aquascape look at it as looking at nature, that is one of the great secrets of Aquascaping eg the new Aquascape we both replied to day.

5. Linds

Lol. I know that. But I keep getting it drummed into me that you need to use one type of rock. I have always that goes against nature, where I live there are so many different rocks in the same place, they look amazing. But natural doesn't always equal beautiful.

Here are a few pics of my camping trip at Leatherbarrel creek (Kosciuzko NP), sorry for the crappy colour in them but it shows the many rocks in the one creek. My God, the water was so clear and there were fish in it. No idea what type.

DSCF1817.jpg

DSCF1818.jpg

DSCF1823.jpg

Ok. I'll get onto changing it back.

I'm excited about this one.

Linds

kinyko likes this.
  6. keithgh

Lindsay

What more proof do you want that is nature at its best, its not a concocted scene.

7. Linds

Yes. I was so taken aback when I found this creek I want to go back there soon as possible. I just wish you could actually see it. It was like a rainforest scene.

Here are some proper photos of the same creek.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/highcountryimaging/3464834789/

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4785277695_57342718c5_m.jpg

I've seen your response on ff. I'll post some pics up here when I do as you have suggested.

Linds

8. keithgh

Lindsay

I have been through that area heading to the Snowy on a fishing trip.

Why go OS when you have that in your back yard.

9. Linds

Ok, tonight's update...

new.jpg

Too tired to say more for now. Night

Linds

ShadowMac likes this.
  10. Linds

So I have been doing some research into lights. Mainly because I am not happy with teh selection of plants I can grow in low light. Well, at least I'm not happy with them for this scape.

I looked into DIY LEDs. I was on my way to buying them when I did a little more research into which one's would be the best. Turns out the latest tech. in LEDs for aquarium plant (and Corals) are patented and only licensed to TMC. I also read that unless one is super accurate with voltage supplied to the LEDs the wavelengths of light produced can be altered (to the detriment of plants). So I thought, I'd just check the TMC products out thinking they would be way out of my price range. Turns out I was wrong. AUD$125 for a 5 LED 45cm Grow Bar 600 Ultima. I was impressed. I'd hardly get a DIY made for that. Certainly not one as compact as the 600 Ultima; it's tiny. No bulky heat sink. At 12W, it's gonna be cheap to run too, very cheap. So it's looking like a good choice.

Anyone had experience with them (or the 500 as the 600 is only new this year)?

So now I'm looking at high light setup (I think).

Linds

11. keithgh

Lindsay

My lighting knowledge is very limited especially when it comes to LED I only have the standard T8s

12. Linds

Thanks anyway Keith.

I found one in AUS. It's more like AU$180. That's a $55 difference in price! It really buggs me that prices are so inflated here. UK and US prices are the same but not here. I could have had the one shipped from the US for $5 less than I could buy it here. But would have had to buy a plug to use it. :mad:

Anyway, I'm happy with the product. Now I just need to make a nice looking hanging mechanism.

Linds

13. keithgh

Lindsay

Not that far back a member on another forum bought a lot of LED stuff from the USA (I think) but it all arrived from China.

You have to be very careful with all electrical private imports that it meats our Aust Standards and is all compatible plus service and spare parts if any at all.

14. Linds

Yes. I am aware, and thanks for your concern. The manufacturer is in the UK. The Cree components are manufactured in the US (i believe). They are legit because they are the only Aquarium lighting company with a licence to use the patented Cree XB-D. They only have a few dealers all of which I have checked out. I also contacted the manufacturer direct to find out who stock them in Australia. They told me the only stockist and it happens to be the place I found it.

Then thing is there is nothing wrong with a lot of the things made in China, in fact most things are. You just have to be sure of what you are buying. Really the only value in shopping locally is customer support (if you can get it) and supporting local trade. There is plenty of dodgy stuff made in the US and even right here in Aus, standards or not.

Linds

15. Linds

Update time!

I’m excited. I got my light in the mail. Now I need to rig it properly. I have decided to make a stand for it and include some type of ‘hood’ to house the light and some form of reflection. My tanks is small and the light angle is very wide( 120degrees) so I really need it.

2013-03-25 11.45.43.jpg 2013-03-28 14.15.56.jpg

I’m very impressed with the output and the colour so far. With I had some PAR readings but I don’t know where I will find a metre.

I have been doing more research and (after ordering an inline heater) decided to go cold water. I still may use the heater to save it from the ‘extreme’ cold (-5C is the coldest temp we usually have). My room is not a lot warmer than outside and has no form of heating so I may set the heater at 15C.

I’m having KH troubles but I hope to plant very soon.

2013-03-28 14.15.37.jpg

planting - Hair grass, Myriophyllum sp., some fine leaf val, moss on the large rock... ???

plant.jpg

Lindsay

16. keithgh

Lindsay

The more I look at that tank the more I see, those rocks are full of Character and would be worth a small fortune in one small SE Melb LFS I think you know who I am referring to.

That light looks fantastic I wonder if it would be OK for a Terrarium.

Can you show how you have supported it please.

Now for your planting.

Warning if the plants are too high particularly front LH side you will lose that rock completely.

A simple moss in that general area "Might" be OK I did say might.

That one I will leave for the plant experts.

Adrian could be the one to talk to take a photo next time you are in Melb

17. Linds

Ha Ha thanks mate. Actually I have only ever been to 2 aquarium shop in Melbourne, so I'm not very familiar at all. Maybe I can take some down with me next weekend when I go :p

I assume it would be fine for a terrarium, I wish I had it when I had my plaudarium in this tank.

Here is a pic of my 'light stand'. I used aluminium pipe and poly elbows poked into holes in a 4x2. It's kind of hard to get a pic of it. It was just a quick cheap way of supporting my old lamp shade I had over the tank. I just shortened it for this an added some weight to support this one, which is not heavy but weighs more than a lamp shade and bulb. I hate it, but it will do for now. I will be drawing up plans for a stand soon. If only I knew someone into furniture design (n) lol

2013-03-28 21.07.24.jpg

Ok, is that Adrian at EA? I am imagining the hair grass will still allow me to see the rock. But I don't really know. The point is I saw it is a good plant for cold water which surprised me a bit and my brother in law has a lot of it I can pinch. I'd be happy with a mos if there is something I can put in cold water. The Myriophyllum grows here on the farm. I also have another plant I may try now I have the light to support it.

What do you think of the general layout though if I can plant something like that? I was trying to go in a triangle from the top right to bottom left. Then I put the val in.

18. keithgh

Hello Lindsay

Yes that is Adrian.

The overall planting is very simple and basic which will work in with those rocks.

When you go outside take note of the larger rocks they might have a taller grass up close to the rocks and low ones in the general area then on the protected area a taller bush.

I would take a few photos with you and he will advise you re that actual plants to use suitable for the Aquascape and light plus a good plant food.

He has plants there all shapes and sizes especially for smaller tanks.

Sunday is the best day reason easy parking opposite.

19. Linds

Cool. Thanks a lot. But can't go Sunday.

20. Linds

Update time. After a long week in the big smoke going to a lot of LFSs in Melbourne I have come back with some plants and fish.

I spent last night when I got home planting and adjusting fish and water to each other.

I got Eleocharis belem, I hope it does not grow too high, we'll see. I put in some thin val. It needs a trim but my flow is not what I want yet so I am waiting to get it right before I fiddle with that. I also got some Rotala mexicana 'Goias', I don't know it this tank is too cold for it but I love it and am going to give it a go.

I also got 10 white clouds Tanichthys albonubes. I have never had them before. When I told the guy I brought them from this he nearly fell over. Anyway, I love them. They seem to like the current though they were not used to it in the shop. I also got some glass shrimp. I've never kept them.

20130414_133339.jpg

Linds

nick.scott, greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.