1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Light for hemianthus callitrichoide

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by Son Quang, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Son Quang

Son Quang New Member

Hello,
    I'm new at Aqua Scaping. I am interested in fish and aquarium since I was a child, but until now I have chance to set up my own planted tank. I started this last Thursday with hemianthus callitrichoides and eleocharis mini. I think they are growing but the hemianthus callitrichoides( HC) is look like growing vertical instead of horizontal. I'm wonder whether the light am using is enough because I read some information said the the HC will grow vertical if they don't have enough light. By the way, I'm using LED and my tank is 20"L x10"D x12"H. Thanks you.
    IMG_1059.PNG IMG_1058.JPG

2. Son Quang

Son Quang New Member

I turn the light for 10 hours a day (4 hours- rest 2 hours- 6 hours), I also use Co2 for three bubbles/ sec

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

4. Son Quang

Son Quang New Member

Hello Keith,
    Great to be here. I read many of your posts before. Can you give me advice about my light for my tank, is it enough? Thank you

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

No need to use CO2 while using the dry start method. Attached you will see diagram of a clever way to do a DSM and keep the humidity high.
    [​IMG]
    The range in quality of LEDs is so wide it is just really hard to tell if a light is sufficient or not unless you know of lots of good instances or it is a reputable brand.

I cannot say if the light is enough right now or not. Since this is a DSM, it is even harder to say. It also looks to be very early. How long has it been planted?

Attached Files:

keithgh likes this.
  6. Son Quang

Son Quang New Member

Hello ShadowMac,
    Thank you for your advices. I'm using the led with 16 bulbs 10.000K and few red, blue and green bulbs. It has been planted for 6 days, I know it's still early to tell, but I just mentioned that some HC grows higher instead of spread as I expect. Since I heard that HC is a fastidious plant about light, I'm worried a little bit because this is the first time I start a planted tank

7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

You're welcome. 6 days is just too short of a period of time to tell what is going on. You should also note that the water will reduce the PAR of the light. The temperature of the LEDS (Kelvin or K) does not really matter. Give it more time and see. After you flood the tank you may get a different response as well. It is relatively easy to grow it emersed like this...it is another matter to grow it well submerged. You may not have enough light. Like I said the quality and light levels of all these different LED lights are not standard and hard to compare. Not all LEDs are created equal in a sense. Some LEDs provide very low PAR at a particular wattage while others provide quite a bit at the same wattage.

Good luck and report back in a couple weeks.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    keithgh and Son Quang like this.
  8. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Son Shawn has given you some excellent advice that will help you get started.

Keith:cat::cat:

Son Quang likes this.
  9. Son Quang

Son Quang New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm back. I was too busy with school last week. This is an update of my tank after two weeks. HC is growing well. As ShadowMac adviced, I cut out Co2 and the plants still healthy
    IMG_2933.JPG IMG_2932.JPG

kabriolet likes this.