1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Leaf die-off

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by Scapeofaqua, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Scapeofaqua

Scapeofaqua Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey i recently went high tech with my 125l tank. It's been running for 3 weeks now and everything was going fine.

But the past few days the leaves on my stauryogene and hc are starting to turn pale and die off.

I can't figure out why. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I've seen S. repens do that before and found it to be a lack of CO2. The plant isn't a light hog, but needs ample CO2. Same for HC. Try increasing your CO2 carefully

3. ShadowMac

It is also possible that it is normal leaf melt as the plant transitions from immersed growth to submerged. Many plants mass produced for sale are not grown underwater.

4. Scapeofaqua

Thanks for your reply; i have a co2 dropchecker installed which reads 20-30 ppm at all times. Should i go even higher on CO2?

Is their any way i can know it is normal leaves melting from immersed to submersed? not all leaves on my stauryogene is melting though.

5. ShadowMac

Does your drop checker have 4 dKh solution in it? If not the reading would be off. Drop checkers are nice to get you in the ballpark with CO2, however use the plants to decide if you need more or not. The plants are telling you they need more. I have run tanks with a yellow drop checker before. 40 ppm with high light is not unheard of.

If you are seeing healthy new growth then chances are it is melt from transition period, good root development is what I look for. But if you are not seeing any growth and the plants seem to be melting away then it is more likely a CO2 issue.

6. Scapeofaqua

My drop checker does have a 4dKh solution in it. I also see new growth; e.g. some stems of Stauryogene completely melted (losing all their leaves) but many new leaves are forming now. However these new leaves have the same tiny holes/discoloration.
    I also see new growth on other plants;
    rotala, hygrophila, ammania and hydrocotyle are all doing great. Growing fast and healthy.
    HC, hairgrass and stauryogene are the problem. I could try increasing co2, i just don't want to harm the fish..

Also by doing some research i realised i am not dosing any potassium to my tank. Could Potassium deficiency be another reason for these holes / die-off?

7. ShadowMac

Potassium deficiency could be the cause. Generally causes pinholes in the leaves. Plants compete for Co2, some are better than others so if your CO2 is limiting some plants might still do okay while others won't. I recommend increasing CO2 slowly and carefully and dosing potassium. Give it some time to see what happens.

8. Scapeofaqua

Will do, got some dry ferts today and i'm starting to crank up the co2. Thanks for all the help man, i'll let you know what happens :)

9. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Scapeofaqua

My knowledge of Co2 is a big Zero other than its not cheap to set up a quality unit.

The other point is it must be set up perfectly or else.

That is where the fun starts you have to find out what is wrong first.

Keith:):)

10. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

scapeofaqua, i will watch this thread because i am experiencing same thing lately in my 10gallons tank.
    i hope yours stasuro and HC flourish in due time.

just sharing what i have been thru.

i harvested stauro in my healthy 17gallons tank twice but
    all of them just melted away. yesterday, after doing something with my substrate,
    i planted several cuttings and some had roots already and i'll see what gonna happen in few days.

[[i started with a 15 stems stauro in my 40gallons tank and it turned out into hundreds after 6months. i sold many
    and what left maybe around 40 stems with roots.

when i decided to give my 40gallons a good bath.
    i transferred the remaining stauro in my 17gallons, i've noticed that after two weeks it started
    to look like melting which started from lower leaf......i leave them like that doing casual things daily and after a month,
    could not really remember how many months but not more than two months it begun to
    flourish again into hundred]]