1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Lava Rock

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Orlandog7, Mar 16, 2016.

?

What size tank is this?

1. 2.5

9.1%
  2. 5

36.4%
  3. 10

45.5%
  4. 20

9.1%
  1. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

slowly your already getting near your dream tank scape. good work. (y)
    can you push down a little lower all your retaining walls. it is obviously noticeable.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Orlandog7

I always left mine exposed after a while they were never seen.

A little natural slippage will be easy to see if left a little higher plus the plants will grow over them any way.

The more mature your Aquascape the better it looks.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

Just some notes/observations...

Replaced 1st 2 ltr co2. From here on out, one of the two 2 ltr bottles will be replaced every Friday.

The downoi and blyxxa japonica have stopped melting and large air bubbles emerge from the roots after 3 hour photo period. There were some tufts of brown stuff on the blyxxa, I've cut off the leaves most affected as a precaution.

A brown slime has started to grow on the TwinStar's power line. Will clean soon. The bleach dip has seemed to work well.

The glass has been cleaned a few times since starting the tank and the dust from the substrate gone. No notably signs of slime build up or GDA on the glass.

The baby tears continue to melt and a few have uprooted.

There has been some foam formation at the water surface, I guess it's dissolved organics. At this point the aquarium needs 2 or 3 50% water changes a week to eliminate the foam.

A small amount of green algae has started to grow on the top of the main rock. I guess given the proximity to the light, there is no TwinStar that can prevent this.

Some baby tears start pearling after the 1st hour photoperiod. And most baby tears pearl after 3 hours. No signs of roots yet.

Now with the steady supply of co2 from two bottles, I will up the photoperiod to 6 hours next week.

No livestock at this point.

4. keithgh

Orlandog7

Thank you for the update.

5. Orlandog7

A quick update.

A small amount of GSA has developed in the back of the tank near the substrate where I'm not able to clean the glass at the moment without uprooting plants. I've treated GSA in the past with phosphorous so I'm not worried about it for the moment.

Green algae continues to develop on top of the main rock. Not worried about that.

Some leaves on the blyxxa are dark brown and straw-like, in other words, they are not flat, instead they are round like hay/straw. I think they are new leaves. Probably some sort of nutrient deficiency? Don't want to dose any macros until the HC carpet is more established.

HC has started to grow prostrate (hugging the ground).

IMAG4000.jpg

ShadowMac likes this.
  6. keithgh

Orlandog7

I never cleaned the back glass the Shrimps, Otos, and the Nerites, when I pulled the tank down I was very surprised how little Algae was on the glass.

Looking at the slate I cannot see any signs of slippage.

7. Orlandog7

Just an observation on my journal. While leveling the front substrate with a ruler, I managed to slightly uproot some of the HC and exposed roots that seem to have started developing well.

At this point after several water changes per week to eliminate the foam from the water surface and still at 6 hours per day of lights on. Today I added Seachem Equilibrium: 1/2 teaspoon. Tomorrow, I''l add 1ml of Seachem Flourish. And the day after, the 3 macros.

IMAG4011.jpg

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  8. keithgh

Orlandog7

I would try to gently push the roots back unless you know they will pull themselves into the substrate.

9. fishkeeper

fishkeeper New Member

I really love the lava rocks! and your composition!

Orlandog7 likes this.
  10. keithgh

It will look 100% better when the plants are established and the tank has aged a little.

11. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Keep up the good work. This will look really nice once its grown in well.

keithgh and Orlandog7 like this.
  12. keithgh

I agree with Shawn it certainly will look nice when established.

13. Orlandog7

Hello. Just a quick update. So far everything is going well. The HC is carpeting well but it's starting to get tall, time for a trim soon I think. Currently I'm at 6 hours photoperiod. I'm considering increasing to 8 hour photoperiod (4 in the morning, break, and another 4 at night); I think this will help the HC grow more compact and stop reaching for the sky and will increase my viewing time. @Ed Villagracia I've pushed the retaining walls down as you suggested.

IMAG4031.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  14. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

looks great!

Orlandog7 likes this.
  15. keithgh

Orlandog

You are very close to creating the perfect KIS tank its simple yet extremely easy to look at.

Inhabitants can make or break your Aquascape now think what you have black rocks and green plants next question to ask your self what look best in my tank.

I can thing of a few but you start researching one species one variety in a good sized school will work wonders.

Orlandog7 likes this.
  16. Orlandog7

I'm thinking chili rasboras and red cherry shrimp.

17. keithgh

Orlandog
    [​IMG]

You will have a lot of strong red colour I was thinking of Cardinal Tetras and the red cherry shrimps that way you will have some blue as an extra colour.

A big school of M Endlers could also give you endless colour mix with the Cherry Shrimps.

18. Orlandog7

Hello everyone.

Just a quick update. Added more substrate to the back right to get a steeper slope. The dust released from the added substrate covered the HC carpet and it seems to have stunted it's growth a bit but now it's back on track.

The water sprite is fully grown and I periodically prune and toss some out. I just purchased Amazon Frogbit to see if I can replace it for the water sprite. The water sprite grows to thick; hopefully the Frogbit will work. I want floating plants to dim the light but don't want the excessive growth.

Lights on for 7 hours straight, no algae. Downoi growing leggy--not sure what to do about that yet.

Dosing 1/2 teaspoon Seachem Equilibrium after each water change.
    And dosing 2x/week: 1 ml of Seachem flourish comprehensive, nitrogen, potassium, and about 10-20 drops of phosphorous (fleet's enema).

Added 6 neon tetras and 5 fire red shrimp. Also added and quickly removed 5 harlequin rasboras, they were too active for the scape.

IMAG4055.jpg

19. BigAL777

BigAL777 Aspiring Aquascaper

Looks good, I think you should go with a white background instead of black, it will make your scape stand out better. (I use a can of glass frosting on the back piece of every tank I have.

ShadowMac likes this.
  20. Orlandog7

Thanks I'll give that a try.