1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Lava Rock

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Orlandog7, Mar 16, 2016.

?

What size tank is this?

1. 2.5

9.1%
  2. 5

36.4%
  3. 10

45.5%
  4. 20

9.1%
  1. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

I like blyxxa, mine turned brownish/reddish and only grew to 5inches (10cm) tall, which is important in my small 5gallon (20ltr) tank.

Sponsored link:

2. Orlandog7

just curious for my own edification @ShadowMac how do you know it's a CO2 hog as compared to other plants? Do "CO2 hogs" exhibit certain characteristics?

thanks.

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

it can out compete other plants for CO2, this is what I understand per Tom Barr. So if you have plants that are not good competitors and you become CO2 limited, the blyxxa may do fine while others begin to stunt.

If blyxxa isn't happy it tends to grow smaller and not set down roots. Almost like it wants to float away to someplace better.

4. Orlandog7

Hello again. As per your suggestion, @ShadowMac , I've added two more rocks. I've wet the rocks to help give them contrast so you guys can please give me some guidance/feedback. Thanks!

IMAG3937.jpg

RockvsWood, J Art, keithgh and 2 others like this.
  5. ShadowMac

I like it! get to planting this bad boy (y)

6. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Yep, It's looking very natural now.

7. ShadowMac

your blyxxa was probably in need of nitrate. This growth can be induced by nitrate limitation. Not horrible if everything else grows fine.

I think you plant the downoi in between the stones and the blyxxa behind the large stone. A downoi bunch on the right corner of the large stone to provide transition to the taller blyxxa behind. A little blyxxa at the back moving to the left about to the midpoint of the view. Then the rest monte carlo.

8. Orlandog7

Thank you all for the likes and detailed replies (@ShadowMac and @keithgh). I'm psyched about this project and feel I'm getting the hang of Iwagumi. That's @lucasgg for leading me in that direction in the first place. Although I'm sure it's not perfect, I feel I've learned alot. Seeing how patience paid off, I'm considering doing this right all the way through: maybe I should do a dry start dwarf baby tears? I've had some success with the submerged method but never had a full carpet. It did look promising at one point but then I redid the scape. What are your thoughts on DSM baby tears? Or shall I just go MC submerged?

Thanks again!

9. ShadowMac

HC will be more of a challenge especially with DIY CO2. Doable in a small tank...but harder than the Monte carlo

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

10. ShadowMac

You can DSM the Monte carlo and downoi too. One month to let the roots set in, then plant blyxxa and flood

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

11. Orlandog7

Thank you @ShadowMac I'll go with MC but then does a DSM have greater benefits over a submerged method? When I grew MC submerged it seemed to grow well. Maybe just go submerged all the way, MC, downoi, blyxxa?

ShadowMac likes this.
  12. ShadowMac

For those plants I don't think there is much of an advantage as long as you can plant densely from the start

13. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Orlandog

The hardscape is looking very good now you should be very pleased with what you have achieved.

The red lines are slippage "could" occur my suggestion make an under substrate retaining walls using pieces of slate or, something similar by pushing them down at least half the substrate depth. Leave about 5mm visible the plants will cover it any way in other words they will never be seen. Once the plants start to grow this "could" help in stopping the slippage as well

[​IMG]

Keith:cat::cat:

ShadowMac likes this.
  14. Orlandog7

Thank you @keithgh , I will add retaining walls.

15. ShadowMac

Looks good. Id maybe move the front left downoi up to the middle

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  16. Orlandog7

I've flooded and planted downoi because that is what I have on hand right now. Any feedback please?

IMAG3941.jpg

ShadowMac likes this.
  17. Orlandog7

@ShadowMac I think I uploaded a new pic while you were commenting but IF i understood correctly then we are on the same page. I've moved the lower left plant to the upper middle. Thanks!

18. ShadowMac

Flooding without all the plants ready with low density isn't the best idea. Patience is the name of the game

19. Orlandog7

I'll get plants tomorrow and plant them. And get some floaters too to help with the transition. Is the current downoi placement aesthetically pleasing? THANKS!

20. ShadowMac

Looks good!