large rimless tank experiences?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by giemd, Sep 25, 2010.

1. giemd

giemd New Member

Hi I'm having a 90gallon rimless tank made and I was told it wasnt a good idea. Does anybody here have large >75 gallon rimless tanks? Whats your experience with it?
  2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

As long as the glass is thick enough (12mm) and the silicone seal is well done - there is no need to worry.
    Have you done it yourself or bought?
  3. sajata

sajata New Member

here is a thickness calculator

as you will see the thickness of the acrylic in this case is dependent on the longest side. you could have a 20g needing thicker glass/acrylic if the form factor were very long and thin. If the 90g is made with the correct thickness material will be no problem. My point here is that it has nothing to do with 90g rather the size and shape of the larget peice of material.

Attached Files:

4. giemd

giemd New Member

I'm having it made here locally but all the fabricators are saying it should have bracing rims.
  5. giemd

giemd New Member

thank you. does this formula also hold true for glass tanks bonded with silicone?
  6. Jurijs mit JS

Just to show it is possible, link
    120x45x60cm optiwhite 10mm with minimum of silicone
  7. biguran

biguran New Member

I have several ~100 gallon tanks, no rims! 120x50x70 w/10mm glass also 150x65x50 w/15mm glass. First one I used SAUDAL aquarium silicone for the second one I used general/all purpose acetate based silicone. To be oon the safe side always use thicker glass for taller/higher tanks,to better deal with the preasure
  8. lmaikl

lmaikl New Member

For one who has no experience in manufacturing aquarium would not advise it.
    About me my opinion is to put rims in aquariums over 50 gallons
  9. sajata

sajata New Member

about the calculators, they are for acrylic not Glass, Glass woudl be much thinner than acrylic.
    what are the dimensions your 90G?
    Acrylic is a different material bends but it takes allot to have a catastrophic failure. Glass on the other hand is much more brittle does not bend much but will fail much faster for many reasons bending being one of them.

I found the calculator below on the web this is for a rimless tank, i used a very conservative calculation.
    [​IMG]

calculator is here
    Calculate Aquarium Glass Thickness | Aquarium Tools
    this is for a 114g aquarium, i was guessing at the dimension.
  10. giemd

giemd New Member

this is a great calculator thanks. I'm forwarding it to the fabricator and see what he thinks.
  11. Jurijs mit JS

Most fabricator are still old fashion and as they have to give warranty on their tanks, they tend to made them twice as thick as necessary and with extra rims^^