1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Killifish care advice please

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Original, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm considering buying some killifish eggs, I'm thinking about going for the annual, short lives Northo species.

I currently have ember tetras with amano shrimp. I know these fish will probably eat the shrimp when matured but I want them that much I'll sacrifice the shrimp.

Just a question. I've been reading guides on how to care for killifish and near enough all of them mention adding salt to the aquarium to prevent disease among the fish. So my main question is - will salt harm aquatic plants? Will the addition of salt harm shrimp?

I'd just like some advice regarding the use of salt and any other tips anyone may have.

Thank you

2. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

Having done futher research I find all but the hardiest of plants thrive in brackish water, which now brings the question. Do the killi's generally need brackish water to prevent velvet disease ect? Is it absolutely essential for their wellbeing? Anyone?

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I kept killi fish for a brief amount of time and did not add any salt. They bred readily. I'm trying to remember the species. killi fish are generally easy fish.

Ohly likes this.