1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Keeping shrimp?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Laurystevens, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

What does it take to keep shrimp succesfully? I've tried them about a year ago and they all died in 12 hours and I never knew why as I wasn't using copper or anything like that.

I've recently done a major clean on my tank (bio-load is still stable, just waiting on the nutrience to balance out now) so I now was to re scape it using Java moss and similar things.

I think Cherry shrimp are supposed to be the easiest to keep? I've only ever tried Amano shrimp.

What can I do to make sure the tank is suitable for them? I have 8 Congo tetras (3 male 5 female) I have approx 45 Rummy nose Tetras (true and common mix) 6 Asain rummy nose tetras inc 1 lucky female(Rasboras) 1 lonely Otto, 2 clown loach, and lots of Cories inc pygmy.

This Sunday I plan on buying lots more Ottos as all my lot died during the first few months, I also am dying to find some true siamese algae eaters which I am on the look for, also maybe try a large apple snail as I think I may get away with it with my clown loach, but perhaps one to try, still debating on it though.

2. theshrimpfarm

theshrimpfarm New Member

Hi Laurystevens,

Yes, Cherry shrimp are quite easy to keep. So are Yellow and Snowball shrimp. I would recommend having no fish at all if you want to keep shrimp. It will prevent them from breeding, or if they do, the little shrimp will surely be eaten!

So to sum up your question, I would say to start with some cherry shrimp, don't have fish in the same tank, ensure you feed once per day, have some Java Moss and keep watching your water parameters!

3. Laurystevens

Laurystevens New Member

Breeding them isn't my aim, I just want them for viewing purposes if I'm honest. I plan on making LOTS of little tunnels for them incase some babies do survive and grow which is also good for the adult ones anyway.

What else could I do, They'll be going in with the fish, otherwise I'll just be sticking to fish really.

4. Dincho

Dincho New Member