1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

June 2011 Aquascape of the Month: "Forest Dream"

Discussion in 'Aquascape of the Month (AOTM)' started by John N., Jun 26, 2011.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

June 2011 Aquascape of the Month

INTRODUCTION

[float_left][​IMG] [/float_left]My name is Olivier Ly (Olileon), 30 years old. I live in France and love aquascaping and planted aquariums. At beginning when I was younger, I saw my father with a community tank and some plants. While I was amazed then, much later I saw Takashi Amano's aquascaped tanks; it was a revelation. I try to make nano tank with shrimps and then 3 years ago (in 2008 ), I made a bigger tank (576 liter) in my new house in the living room. Each tank brought me deeper into the planted aquarium hobby.

These last few years, I really progressed in my aquascaping abilities thanks to the French forum, Aquagora ([Portail de l’association AquAgora]). Aquagora contains a rapidly growing aquascaping community with many skilled members who love aquarium plants and also enjoy creating beautiful hardscape layouts.Thanks to all my friends there, and to all those who have helped me develop my aquascaping skill and planted aquarium knowledge.
    [float_right]
    [​IMG][/float_right]
    INSPIRED BY A FOREST

This aquascape is called "Forest Dream".

My initial planning for this layout was inspired, like others aquascapers, by the beauty and complexity of the forest and their trees. I search for photos of natural landscapes and with the help of some friends on the forums who gave me some photos I decided to make a hardscape with only wood.

My goal was to create an aquatic forest but controlled so that it was not a jungle looking aquascape. I wanted to control the shape and growth of the plants but finally the natural tendencies of plants was too strong. Therefore, I let the foreground plants grow as they desire. In the end, I think this element was very important to the success of this layout and helped create balance with the hardscape. The mix of all the little plants growing together also made the tank appear more natural.

HARDSCAPE ARRANGEMENT[float_right][​IMG][/float_right]

For this layout, I focused the design of the layout around the wood hardscape to create an illusion of trees. I placed the wood pieces on large mounds of substrate to make the wood stand taller than the rest of the aquatic landscape. Separate pieces of wood were placed at the base of the stumps to form the root of the trees.

The most important element of this hardscape is the mix of Eleocharis and Lilaeopsis with some other plants like Rannunculus or Marsilea. This combination created a more balanced feel by bring the hardscape, substrate and the other plants together in unity. I also planted in small touches of Hygrophila pinnatifida to mimic younger trees growing near the main trees.

MINIMAL PLANT TRIMMING
    [float_right]
    [​IMG][/float_right]
    For this aquascape, I didn’t have to trim the aquarium plants very much. The natural growth of the plants developed the shape of the layout on its own.

In the background and midground areas, I let many plants grow out like Bolbitis and Microsorum. Since these plants grow out relatively slowly compared to the other plants, I didn’t have to trim them much at all. The plant which grow faster is the moss at the bases of the trees. While there was still little trimming maintenance to be done, I made sure that the little overgrowth which the moss did develop, did not over take the roots and foreground areas. Similarly, the carpeting plant in the foreground filled in without any additional trimming or relocation efforts.

FINAL THOUGHTS
    [float_right]
    [​IMG][/float_right]
    If there’s one thing I would share to other aquascapers, make a layout that fits your pleasure. Try to show your attempts to the forum aquascaping communities.

It's the best way of progressing in learning how to grow aquatic plants and developing your layouts.
    Keep sharing your knowledge with each other and try some of the advice you get on your tanks. You will find new ways of designing and growing techniques, while developing quality friendships along the way.​
    Lastly, once more, thanks to the French aquascapers and others hobbyists who have helped me to progress every day. Without their knowledge, advice and support Forest Dream wouldn’t be what it is today.​
    [float_right][​IMG][/float_right]​
    [float_right][​IMG][/float_right]

Attached Files:

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  2. olileon

olileon New Member

Thanks to all the ASW team...

3. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

thanks Olivier!

stunning tank, i really enjoyed reading more about it

4. dr.dzek

dr.dzek New Member

excellent work

5. Apache

Apache New Member

Yep Oli! Congrats and thanks for the spirit! <):)

6. roach

roach New Member

Congratulations to you, a fantastic tank!

7. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

jebus this is beautiful! i love it. i am soo excited to redo my tank in august, and finally attempt a proper aquascape and not just have a bunch of plants everywhere XD

8. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Beautiful tank

9. Antonio Manfredi

Antonio Manfredi New Member

Very nice¡¡¡¡

10. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I really enjoyed this scape. It is one of my favorites since starting this hobby. It is a unique scape that was masterfully executed.

Bravo!:rock:

11. cagatayutku

cagatayutku New Member

wonderful acuascape

12. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

WOW this i like a lot (y) top of my list to look at stunning (y)(y) cheers roy