1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Julii Cory (corydoras julii) breeding?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Natural designs, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Natural designs

Natural designs New Member

Hey there, its been awhile since I posted. Since then I set up a 20 gallon (75 liters) amazon biotope. I have 7 juliis and a pair of blue rams currently. Two of my juliis are always together. One is bigger than the other and they do this sort of dance with each-other every so often. They mirror each-other's moves up to the top of the tank and then the same thing back down, then all the sudden chase each other around the tank. They also have been burrowing into my dense java moss and hanging out around where my filter has the strongest current. Is this normal breeding behavior? I tried checking fishbase.org but they didn't have anything on breeding. And there is a lot of mixed information about breeding, so I thought I would check here.

Tank parameters:
    80 F
    PH 6.6
    peat extracts
    moderate akalinity

2. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Not entirely normal behaviour unless you have 6 girls and only 1 boy. If they were a mix I would expect all the males to periodically try and get beside the female during the mating part.

The rest of the behaviour sounds exactly like mating behaviour where the female will suddenly be darting all over the tank, then rest next to a male, then dart all over the tank again before laying eggs on leaves, glass, equipment.

Then she will rest for a few minutes and repeat process. This will last for several hours, sometimes can go into a second day. She may look a bit rough after it's finished as if she has been fighting :)

3. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Is often triggered by a recent water change and normally around about the time your lights come on.