1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

January 2011 Aquascape of the Month: Peruvian Nights

Discussion in 'Aquascape of the Month (AOTM)' started by John N., Jan 31, 2011.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

January 2011 Aquascape of the Month

INTRODUCTION
    [float_left][​IMG] [/float_left]Hello, AquaScaping World! My name is Shay Fertig from Israel. I am extremely proud to be selected for January's 2011 Aquascape of the Month!

My aquatic adventure started back in the late 80's, more than 20 years ago, and went through many phases, through Cichlids, Discus, Saltwater (marine + reef) and more…

My introduction to planted tanks goes back 15 years ago with my first low-tech, low-light, yeast CO2 system (high-tech).

Since then, a lot of water (and fertilizers) has flown…

I find this hobby, and particularly aquascaping, as part of me, [float_right] [​IMG] [/float_right]and my day-to-day life, and I totally enjoy attending to my aquariums (and paludariums), for at least two hours every day.

I am glad to introduce everyone to one of my tanks which was established in April 2010.

This tank is installed in my home office and is my largest planted tank.

SOURCE OF INSPIRATION

This aquascape is called "Peruvian Nights".

Usually, I stray in the backyard of my local stones and rocks importer (with a tube of HCL, for inert minerials check) and gaze at the different stones texture and arrangement. This is where I first saw this beautiful stone (which the seller called "Wild Slate"). I pictured in my mind the Inca ruins in the middle of the Peruvian Amazon jungle.
    [float_right] [​IMG] [/float_right]
    I decided to recreate a vision of these ruins into an aquatic layout.

STONE ARRANGEMENT

The hardscape is made out of inert "Wild Slate" stones which I broke, arranged and glued together with AquaMend Epoxy Putty.

The arrangement was initially made in my backyard and took more than a week for me to approve. [float_right] [​IMG] [/float_right]

In the aquarium, I put plates of foamed Polystyrene to absorb the weight of the stones (aprox. 50 Kilos) and on top of that I poured an even layer of crushed quartz to stabilize the structure.

After arranging the stones, I put some plastic dividers behind the stones to hold the back part (full of, 20 cm high, crushed quartz) from pouring to front, and in front and middle I poured the mix of Aquasoil and Flora base in a slope.

AQUARIUM PLANT MAINTENANCE

The aquarium is trimmed at least twice a week. Parts of the plants are trimmed from their upper part and part from their lower, all the time trying to maintain a nice flow of colors and density.

INSIGHTS ON THE FINAL COMPOSITION
    [float_right] [​IMG] [/float_right]
    The aquarium ranked #348 in IAPLC 2010 and after seeing some of the aquariums that ranked higher, I'm still doesn't understand the ranking consideration and would be glad to hear your opinion, suggestions and tips for next year.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I'm proud to represent Israel with my aquascapes around the world.

Israel has a large community of aquaristic hobbyist, and I'm an active member of the largest forum community in Israel, called "Aqua” (www.aqua.org.il), with over 16,000 users and almost 2,000,000 messages in over 200,000 threads.​
    I'm very happy to contribute as much as I can, to advance this wonderful hobby in Israel, and take an active part of the forum activities, as lecturing and displaying aquascaping techniques.​
    [float_right] [​IMG] [/float_right]​
    I hope you all enjoyed "Peruvian Nights" and would invite you to express any comments on the composition so that we all may improve and learn from one another.​
    [float_right] [​IMG][/float_right]​

Attached Files:

J Art likes this.
  2. jfravn

jfravn New Member

Dear Shay,

It's truly an amazing tank that I would never even try to compete with. I love the vibrance and the plant colours. Your plant health and trimming is 2nd to none.

Commenting on your IAPLC rank, I agree that it seems low. Your tank is wonderful and I don't agree on your position, but have some ideas of the reasons behind:
    1) its a very symmetrical scape with the path going straight in the middle of the tank
    2) your foreground is quite linear
    3) your plant colour and trimming is similar in both sides

All in all it leads to a very symmetrical scape and I think it draws the score down. Again, I must emphasize that I think your tank is amazing!!

All the best,
    Jorgen

3. LivingWaters

LivingWaters New Member

Dear Shay,
    We are all very proud of you. It is a beautiful scape!
    I tend to agree with Jorgen though, it is missing a 'wow' effect.
    Perhaps it looks to civilised for what my mind's image is of old ruins. Where are the long leaved plants trying to take over the ruins?
    Also, in the 'classic' scapes you usually see one, maybe two-three types of fish/other fauna but in yours there seems to be a good mix of everything. I'm not saying it's not beautiful to watch, but there seems to be a general agreement that less is more - perhaps that is the way to go.

Either way, thank you for sharing this beautiful tank and keep up the good work :proud:
    Maayan.

4. mlgt

mlgt New Member

Thank you for sharing this tank. It is very pleasing to the eye and shows what is achievable.

It is an inspiration and it is something I have been meaning to try with a stones layout.

5. globali

globali Aspiring Aquascaper

Congratulations, shayf.

Very polished and the
    trimming is interesting.

6. Agypsy@heart

Agypsy@heart New Member

What a beautiful tank! I'm new to aquascaping & working on my first project & looking for ideas/inspiration. I'm glad I found this site and will be visiting it often.

ShadowMac likes this.
  7. thaDUKE

thaDUKE New Member

awesome scape