1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Janey's Wabi-Kusa

Discussion in 'Ripariums & Paludariums' started by janey, Feb 4, 2014.

1. moss_maniac

moss_maniac Aspiring Aquascaper

:( Oh, what sad news janey, I feel very sorry for you and can imagine, how you must feel now. :(
    I wish you and your family all the best!
    I hope the little pleasures of your new hobby may help to cheer your mood up at least a little bit.

Btw. I just use childrens-playsand, that you can buy in plastig bags in toy-shops -it works well with me. My tank inhabitants produces the fertilizer, this works since years, at least plants and animals grow well. Algaes too :) thank god the ones, I like. I consider them as being quite naturally, too.

janey likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Janey, Sorry to hear the sad news. :(:( My deepest sympathy go's out to you and your Family .
    As to shrimp Cherry shrimp are hardy little critters :cool:
    As you already have some substrate use that and cover with gravel :) Best of both worlds gravel for the shrimp and substrate for the plants:cool:
    As far as i know adding ferts to the water does not harm shrimp :unsure: My shrimp are all ok with it .Others will know more :)

janey likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Janey

Ferts and Shrimps is a Yes & No answer.

I only use Seachem Liquid Ferts and Seachem Fert Tablets once every three months.

It is perfectly safe providing you do not over dose then you might have a few concerns even with some plants.

Keith:):)

janey and greenfinger 2 like this.
  4. janey

janey Aspiring Aquascaper

Thank you all for your kind words. Evelyn I thought what you said about the new hobby cheering me up was a really nice way to look at things. It is true when I work on the wabi's it is like therapy - all for free & natural too!:p

Keith, thank you for fert info, I am going to do as you do & will be careful with the ferts dosage.

Now that I have booked my flights and ensured everyone at home has a good support network til I get there I am back in business!(y) At least until I go - on the 18th March.

The shrimps may even see their new home before I go! :) I will have to work fast though. I'm seeding the sponge filter in the tank the shrimps currently live. I have read one can fast cycle a tank by using a seeded filter & mulm?

Is this true? Can it really be done safely?

I'd like to get the shrimp in a week before I go...so I have to work fast on getting this set-up. Means I can't think as much as I would like about it, but maybe that's a good thing...:cool:pushing the old creative side of the brain to take over from thinking! :p

So here is the rough idea with this project:

Dennerle 20l tank
    Sponge filter/pump
    Nice little flat heater - see 2nd pic to see how slim it is. Just hope it works as it has no controls!
    Substrate - a mix of flora base & tropica. Covered with black gravel.
    Wood decoration mostly, maybe a pebble or two!
    Lighting - I am playing about with some bright daylight leds suitable for growing orchids over the current nano. I was skeptical, but the plant growth there has taken off and the plants look greener. But no pearling. I don't know if pearling is essential for growth? Anyway, it seems to be doing something.

Inhabitants will be my 8 little lovelies!:love: I'd like to add a few more of the bee shrimp, does anyway know what a good number for a tank this size is, bearing in the water height will be lower by around 3/4 litres.

I started today in full tilt because the heater arrived.(y) :D I was going to put it in the substrate, but as it's so well hidden & slim, will probably just put it on the back of the tank now.

I was going to use rocks that I had already spent an age moving around but it was not working. So I decided on wood instead. I fiddled the wood an age to get it to fit!!! Ideally the pieces would be smaller - mutter, mutter....groan...faff and faff etc.:rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:

Then suddenly it just said, 'put me like this'. So I did and then I could see it could work after all! I'm clearly a nutter because now the wood is speaking too!:ROFLMAO::whistle:

The current arrangement is split into two parts although I tried to make it cohesive. This way I can lift the wabi section out without too much disruption if I ever need to do so. The wood came from different sources so it's colour tone is slightly different, the left hand and front piece are a little darker & less yellow than the right side piece. But the overall shape seems to be what catches my eye first...before I notice the tonal difference. So I am okay with this minor detail...for now - though that could change at a drop of the hat!:rolleyes::rolleyes::)
    Still need to top up the substrate/gravel more.

I kind of like it now as shown on the pic. The top of the wood forms a natural base and the branches are cup like. They extend a little above the rim of the tank, bit difficult to see as the painting behind the tank obscures this a little in the pic.

I'm thinking of planting a small wabi kusa up there - hence why the tank won't be fully filled. Still thinking on a plant or two to put there. Any idea's?

In the central part of the tank two pieces of shapeless wood jut out, obscuring the negative shape - they'll will be covered by moss and hopefully will not be such an eyesore! :rolleyes:

So here it is my friends!:) The start of my hopefully soon to be first properly completed nano!!!! YAY!:D

Any suggestions or comments are very welcome as always.(y)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    keithgh likes this.
  5. keithgh

Janey

[​IMG]

The more I looked at you tank the more confused I become, reason the big L piece looked as if you placed it in that big gap.

My suggestions are, take the L piece out, turn the beautiful other piece of DW up side down so the legs are sitting on/in the substrate.

Now you do not have that big gap.

Can you try this please?

When posting can you cover that backing as it is also very distracting.

6. janey

Hi Keith

Many thanks for your help.:) I did turn the piece of wood as you suggested - it definitely looks more natural that way around. I was tempted to use it that way. However if I use it like that, unfortunately I lose the ability to use the upper area as a base for a wabi kusa type of effect.

Originally I wanted to create a paladarium in this nano - but given that the space is tight & the shrimp need enough water, I thought why not try a wabi kusa combined with aquarium instead?! It's not a paladarium per se - but it will give me both aquatic & a little terrestial joy into the deal - if I can pull it off! Wonder if there is a name for such a thing - wabi-aqua maybe?!!:p

My photo's are poor - never been good at it I'm afraid:oops: - so it is difficult to see because there is too little perspective in the photo. But where the branches stand upright on the piece of wood, there is a natural planting ledge between them.

I envision a low planting there - perhaps just fern and moss, but still thinking on this.

I think you are spot on about the L shape wood.(y):) I took it out and feel that removing it has improved the situation and opened up the tank more.

I started planting last night because time is of the essence.Also the plants I bought some weeks ago, for this project (before life had other plans for me...:rolleyes::rolleyes: ) have not been faring very well in a bucket, I'm in grave danger of losing them!:( Some are looking really moth eaten & sad right now but I hope they will perk up given time.

I wish I had more time to play and plan better right now, but I must keep cracking on.

My thoughts are that if it looks wrong, I can at least give the shrimp more space & let the plants establish while I am gone. Also as my family are not really in the know when it comes to shrimp or plants, it'll be easier to get everything into one tank for them to care for. With a very long list of how to's! Little do they know I have written them a crash course in shrimp-keeping and a word (or five!) that if my shrimp are not in good nick when I return ...there'll be trouble! :sneaky::p:D

When I return I can either tweak or undo the tank in a more leisurely manner.
    Be a right pain, but my choices are limited given the lack of time. :cool:

I'll post up another pic when I can and I will try to cover the painting behind my workspace!:)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  7. keithgh

Janey

That is a very good idea wait until you return and have a fresh look at the tank and see what can be done.

Its easy to do all the planning but the actual hardscape just will not go the way you want it to and often the end result is far better.

8. janey

Hi guys - I am back. Sad times losing a dear dear person, but grateful I could love & care for him to the end. Arrived home - another death in our family this time my young 22yr old nephew (on my hubbys side.) Devastating. I have no words even now. Then even more setbacks - fav uncle has 2 hear attacks and then major heart surgery, he is recovering thank goodness. Right now my sons girlfriend is in hospital with a life threatening heart condition - scary stuff. Will it ever end, I feel thrashed.:confused:
    I lost several shrimp while I was away despite my son doing his best to care for them. Plants melting too.:(

But I am not giving up! The good news - I bought a beautiful Betta on my return. I had been looking for one before everything turned crazy. I was very self controlled too - I looked at around 50 fish before unexpectedly I found my boy. Even then I think I acted prematurely buying him, as I had hoped to get a big setup ready - but I was scared he'd be snapped up!o_O Luckily I had a small empty tank which had cycled nicely while was away.
    I named him Quantum. So he is being housed in better conditions than the shop but far from ideal. However he is thriving and is a real character. We are all smitten with him. My daughter said it's a pity one cannot hug a fish, if one could she'd hug him everyday!:ROFLMAO:

Then I went to buy him some food at the local pet shop - as is my norm I wandered over to the tanks (nooooo Janey, control yourself!:cautious::cautious:)
    Too late I am at the tanks already.:eek:

In a tank no bigger than a few cups of water, with a dead fish against the grate next door to him, with no plants and a current too strong, there is a poor skinny washed out little Betta. I looked at him well before I went to South Africa, when I still thought my life was going well & there'd be time to set up a decent Betta environment.
    Breaks my heart he is still there, but hey, that's life. One can't save every fish. I go home.

Later in that day I realise I forgot to buy something there. Go back to the shop & go back to the tank section. :oops: Note the bloated dead fish is still there.:mad:

I take a good long look at him. Not that I know much. Dull colours, sunken eyes, depressed looking. I know nothing but his skin texture does not look great either - too soft - almost slimey. Just for a moment he looks curious when I put my face up close, but he quickly shuts down. Poor little mite. Tbh, not my idea of the sort of Betta I would choose. I hang onto my resolve - no more fish till the big tank is up & running. Besides, what about disease spread from the bloated dead fish next door to him...not a good idea. Yup, I have a thousand good sound very logical reasons not to buy this fish.

But half way on my way home that little guy's sad face is just haunting me to my bones.

I go all the way back to buy him. Sod logic.

His name is Leap.

After the glorious captivating charm and flamboyant beauty that is Quantum, the family are somewhat unimpressed by this shy dirty brick coloured little guy. I know they think I have lost the plot. They might be right!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

A week later. What the heck has happened!???

My little dull washed out fish has developed the most vibrant areas of colour. In the shop I could see a little lilac on his body, but it is now becoming a violet flash. He had a milky white edge to his tail and that has become a beautiful strong opalescent light blue. I thought he was just a dark brick red but actually he has orange and red on his body. The definition seems to get more pronounced by the day. :D

When I come near the tank he is up for a long chat, swimming and finning just below me. Dare I say it - even posing!!! - no more darting away to hide in fear. :D:D I actually can't believe it -can Betta's change like this? And call me bonkers but I swear when I tell him he is beautiful & meaningful, I swear he is taking it in. My hubby says it's just a ploy for more grub! But he knows I mean it when I tell him he is a champion in the making & we must just be patient and he'll surprise everyone yet. His eyes have life in them and he looks straight at me. I'm smitten.:love:

Only thing is I know my boys are better off than before but it's just not good enough.

So now there is a newly bought tank procured via e-bay last weekend staring me in the face. A big beast of a thing for a nano-girl to get her head around. 122 cms long and to be made into a betta paradise! I know by many of the standards here this would probably be a small set up, but for me it is flipping HUGE!!!
    And I have never ever set up a big tank, I am soooooo clueless. And it has to have separators in it too.... 2 or 3? ...and do I try to lower the ph of our hard water or not and what is the best filter and and ...Yikes & yikes!:eek:

That all said, it's good to be back and I am still catching up with everyone's progress. Some exciting & inspirational things been happening on here while I was away!:)(y)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    Glomeridae and greenfinger 2 like this.
  9. Glomeridae

Glomeridae Active Aquascaper

Good morning Janey!

I would like to express my most sincere condolences to you...
    I wasn't here when you where on the forum but it's nice to meet you on the forum!

Fabulous story with your litlle betta! It is lucky you have noticed it! =)
    If you can take picture of your bettas, I will be glad to see them!

See you soon on the forum! :)

janey likes this.
  10. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Janey, My deepest Condolences to you and your family. Welcome back to the forum (y)
    You have been busy. Looking forward to seeing your new project now;)
    Cannot wait to see the betta's photos :whistle::D

Glomeridae likes this.