1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Janey's Wabi-Kusa

Discussion in 'Ripariums & Paludariums' started by janey, Feb 4, 2014.

1. janey

janey Aspiring Aquascaper

I thought I should start a little folder thingie to have a place to put my work! And post a little update!:)

After what seemed a flipping age waiting and waiting....:whistle: I finally got my hands on some good bonsai clay! We drove out to Kent and Roy, I did go to the beach. I was hoping for a little driftwood but there were only pebbles and more pebbles. No worries though one can never be too short on pebbles!:p

Then more waiting - suddenly everyone seemed to need me to do jobs for them and I am no good at saying 'NO!'. Meantime I am champing at the proverbial bit and not sleeping well because the ideas keep on flowing and the clay is calling - usually late at night!:rolleyes:

We went walking in the woods yesterday. It took some plotting to find a patch of reasonable walking ground not owned by the national trust, the council or the Queen...I was not in the best mood about this, although I do understand why it has to be so. I just got the hump that even our wild spaces are claimed and controlled and out of bounds for careful foragers like me! :mad: I miss the freedom I had in South Africa so so much...but I digress.

That aside the wood was humming with growth & such beauty I clean forgot I was mad! :D The moss & lichens were diverse...I wish I could name them all! Maybe you can help me identify some when I post up the pics? I found wonderful bits of twisty lichen covered wood and there was loads of Turkey Tail fungi. I was in heavenly paradise!:love:

So last night I thought sod it that the house looks like the inside of a tumbledrier, the veg seeds need planting, my neighbour is waiting on the frame I am repairing for him, I have a list of e-mails as long as a mini book to attend to - but, hey, sod it ALL!:p

It's very sad I know, but rolling my first ball of clay was BRILLIANT! WOO-HOO! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My first Wabi is almost complete, probably with multiple mistakes!:eek: :cautious: But I am loving doing this.:) Making it I went back to the woods in my mind, I felt at peace, I lost the council, the national trust, the Queen...the world! Freedom at last!:LOL:

I will post pics of it soon...going to get the frame sorted and off back to it's owner and then I will post pics & be wabi-ing as much as I can.:D

Sponsored link:

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Janey , Love your posts:cool: Reading this made my night :) WOO HOO Your first Wabi- Kusa :love::love: Looking forward to the pics now:whistle::whistle:

3. aliclarke86

aliclarke86 Aspiring Aquascaper

Looking forward to it :)

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

4. janey

First Wabi Ever :D - another pic from the top to follow!
    Not sure about a title maybe 'Bark & Moss?' - just for reference. I still want to stand it in a bigger bowl, but the pie dish was all I had to hand in the wee hours! I felt pleased about how using layers of bark around it worked out. I never took a pic of the back but I repeated this there as well. Will try this with stone soon, might end up being a trademark signature of my work even!:)
    Been up a couple of days and still doing well, but it's early days & I just hope it doesn't pack up on me in the days to come!
    Might be too densely planted - but I guess I can prune it if it goes too beserk!:eek:
    Already working on No 2 wabi!
    Happy wabi days!!!:D

5.png

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    keithgh and moss_maniac like this.
  5. janey

Top View of Bark & Moss:

4.png

6. aliclarke86

aliclarke86 Aspiring Aquascaper

Oh wow this looks great!!

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

7. greenfinger 2

Hi Janey, If i could give you more than one like on this one it would be Ten :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Truly stunning:love: It has so many layers my eyes don't know what to look at next :cool: I can see you have been out and about collecting:D Never thought of using wood with a fungus already attached will be using this idea my self :D Happy times ahead Wabi-Kusi Heaven :love:

8. moss_maniac

moss_maniac Aspiring Aquascaper

Wow a mossburger! :cool:
    Absolutely gorgeous Janey, lovely - yes, that's Wabi Kusa Heaven :D

Is it covered normally or do you spray it? Do you keep it in a room?

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  9. janey

Thanks everyone!:) Roy I certainly have been out gathering at every opportunity.(y) Problem now is finding space to house all the growing tupperwares of moss/gravel etc! :rolleyes: The fungi is turkey tail, I love that fungi sooooo much :love: - it has some of its own bark on it - just hope that keeps it going. I've never worked with fungi before so I am clueless! Give it a try Roy, it is such a pretty fungi and I see it abundantly in the woods on fallen trees. I like it when algae has grown on it and it goes shades of green, but the brown ones are also lovely. It would be great to see how you use it - I can't wait....when are you going to the woods?....!:)

Evelyn you made me laugh - it is a bit of a mossburger! :ROFLMAO: I'm actually worried as I know nothing about anything mossy!:unsure: I observed most of the mosses & lichens at the top of the ball were growing on slightly elevated ground in the light with no trees shading them. I think they like airflow - but I could be wrong! So I have been hesitant to cover them, but that might be the wrong approach? I spray the ball twice a day. They are in a room so I open the window above the ball so they (and me! :eek:)get an icy blast once a day for as long as I can stand it!

The weeping type moss at the bottom is a great wick for the water in the basin. It grew in a very moist boggy part of the woods - I saw it both in the light & in shaded area's. Seemed to be a better green colour in the shade though.

I am hoping the bark retains a bit of humidity around the ball to help it on - we shall see if my theory actually works in practice!:cool::)

10. greenfinger 2

Hi Janey, I will be out and about very soon looking for Fungus :giggle: I love the top shot with the algae too, Superb :rolleyes: Mossburger Love it Evelyn (y)

11. moss_maniac

Welcome to the Club! :cool:

12. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Janey

After teaching for 26 years I would have marked thousands of practical work including judging at a local country show, I never ever gave 10 out of 10 as no one is "Perfect"

Well today its happened you work on that Wabi Kusa is nothing but "Perfection" 10+/10

Now down to the hard part when you find out how to find more space tell all of us PLEASE.

I have often said to look to nature its all ready there.

I like the top view better as it shows more detail.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 and aliclarke86 like this.
  13. janey

Thank you Keith, I'm so pleased you like it. :) I think it was beginners luck! Somehow the concept I had just flowed together - almost by itself it seemed at times!

It is very true that it's all there in nature, we just have to learn to observe closely.
    I never thought of it that way before, but I suspect Nature will teach me a lot as I keep trying to understand it's needs. I just hope it won't wallop me about the head too much!:rolleyes:

If I work out how to find more space I'll let you know!:D However I suspect I am already on the losing end in this respect and it will probably only get worse! :eek:

Today I am going back to the woods to lose myself in rock, moss & leaf! It is good - it helps me distil my idea's and gain inspiration.

Mind you - right now I could probably do with less inspiration! :unsure:
    I have no less than 3 projects on the go right now, all in different start up phases - typical of my attention deficit disorder. :rolleyes::oops::whistle: I've decided to draw the line there and work to complete them first before moving on to the next idea's that keep on popping up in my head relentlessly.

There is one Wabi Kusa & 2 nano aquariums in process right now. The aquascaping particularly is very challenging for me...but also exciting, a whole new world to discover & explore!:D

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  14. moss_maniac

15. greenfinger 2

Superb Link, Evelyn :cool::cool: Janey Sounds like you have been busy two nano as well:love: Cannot wait to see them :whistle:

16. moss_maniac

Thank you Roy,
    I, personally, gave up to determine and memorize perfectly each plant info, it exeeds my time budget:whistle:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  17. janey

Thanks Evelyn - that looks like a great site! (y) I also had a good read of your site last night - WOW & WOW! :D
    You have achieved such wonderful work. Amazing! I really enjoyed reading about your aquarium and your garden is simply beautiful. :)
    And all the mosses :love:....:love: You are a creative inspiration indeed. (y)

Roy - yup, 2 nano on the boil - I am boldly stepping out now into uncharted waters!:eek: :cool:

After a foray in the wood today, I spent a few hours today moving a few stones around in one of them, sipping lots of tea - stepping back, going back, arranging them again...and after all that I am still not sure!:confused::rolleyes:

I'll post up some pics of the basic idea stages as I work on them, probably late next week sometime. :)

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  18. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

janey

Post the attempts some times all it requires a little tweaking her and there and its a totally different look.

I often think Evelyn is a "Google" when it come to plants.

Keith:):)

19. moss_maniac

Oh how I know that,too... :rolleyes:

The blog? Thank you very much Janey. :love:
    I'm not a Google Keith, some I know, always collecting ideas, sometimes googling - but now giggling! :D

keithgh likes this.
  20. janey

Well not much progress I'm afraid. I am writing this to explain that if it suddenly seems I have disappeared - the following is why. But Life has dealt my family a blow - a close family member has been diagnosed with liver cancer - inoperable, terminal, very little liver function left.:( My creativity has fled out the window. My mind is full of sadness, worries and thoughts.

So I have,perhaps a little time here to wrap up what I can, but I cannot think straight!
    I have moved stones around the aquarium several times more since the last time, and still the gods of creativity appear to have abandoned me!o_O

I need to get cracking with it as who knows what tomorrow will bring. I have no doubt I'll be travelling soon (to Cape Town) - it's just a matter of 'when' & trying to time the untimeable!(n) I think I am not progressing with the wabi's or tanks because I am putting so much pressure on myself - more than anything, but time is of the essence as I may be away from home (and my wabi stuff!) for months.

I have a small nano with some shrimp in it that I began my foray into learning a little about the world of aquariums with. It is poorly planted - a few mini anubias, cabomba, a smidgen of struggling fissens moss feebly tied to a piece of bogwood, a substrate of tropica soil topped with small size black gravel - and that's it really. I set it up before this site opened my eyes to the marvellous possibilities of aquascaping & the truth is I am a little ashamed at it's lack of beauty.:rolleyes:

But the shrimp - they are my darlings! My gorgeous red birds of the water! :love::love: I have 6 red cherry shrimps and 3 tiny baby bee shrimps. They deserve better for putting up with my bumbling attempts at getting water parameters right. How they have survived thus far I don't know. Now I want to give them a new pasture - it is time for them to do more than survive - I want them to thrive in a shrimp paradise - and if I am lucky - multiply!:D

I am hoping to at least set up their new home before I leave, in among the 10 000 other things I suddenly remembered I need to do:rolleyes::rolleyes: - now that time is of the essence!

My reasoning is the tank can cycle while I am away & on my return, hopefully the shrimps can be moved in.

I read somewhere that in nature RCS live on a bed of gravel/sand particles, no substrate. Apparently pro shrimpkeepers keep them on gravel as it is easier to manage? However they are also not surrounded by many plants of the type used in aquascaping although their waters do boast moss at least. Therein lies my deliberating - do I use substrate & deal with the fluctuations and potential ammonia spikes - but plant away to my hearts content - or do I forget expensive substrates and plant my hair grass 'lawn-to-be' and pray somehow I can still create a tank of green lushness?!
    Could I use low dose (copper free) ferts instead of substrate?

Are ferts in the water column ultimately more harmful to shrimps than substrate?

Do I go halfway - a thin layer of substrate topped with thick gravel/sand mix perhaps? I have a bag of flora base substrate - so would want to use that, if I do go the substrate route.

The more I research the less I know it seems - and as I know booger all anyway - that's really a bit grim!:confused: So I would welcome any thoughts on this.:)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014