1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

J Art's 60cm

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by J Art, Oct 10, 2016.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

J Art

That is a very good idea looks like we are both thinking along the same way.

Keith:cat::cat:

J Art likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. BigAL777

BigAL777 Aspiring Aquascaper

Well boo to you both lol
    All of my scapes I try something new, you'll never grow unless you step out of your comfort zone

J Art likes this.
  3. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

For me, any new scape is stepping out of my comfort zone :p

keithgh, BigAL777 and ShadowMac like this.
  4. BigAL777

Don't look at it as a scape then, look at it as an experiment! You know how E. Acicularis looks, try something else like marsilea hirsuta or blyxa japonica. Have you delved into red plants yet? What about Buce?
    I know it's not cheap, but seiryu stone is crazy cool looking. Lava rocks are cool in their own way, but I think they are difficult to use. They don't look good with DW or red plants IMO.
    I guess my message is: don't be afraid to try something new!

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

J hasn't done a driftwood scape yet. He is stepping out Al

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

keithgh, J Art and BigAL777 like this.
  6. BigAL777

Really? The DW arrangement in the above picture looks very advanced!

J Art and ShadowMac like this.
  7. keithgh

That is a gift J Art has he has an excellent eye for the basics, plus he is never in a hurry and prepared to learn as he goes.

ShadowMac likes this.
  8. J Art

Idea #2
    Using larger pieces as a trunk.

IMG_4738.jpeg

Doesn't feel as finished (hardscape wise) as the first one, but might look better after everything is planted and grown in. There's more height and bigger spaces for larger plants in general. My impression is that it isn't as miniature feeling. More imperfections would have to be hidden by plants in this one, but don't think that would cause any issues.

keithgh, BigAL777 and ShadowMac like this.
  9. BigAL777

I really like the movement this layout creates

J Art likes this.
  10. J Art

Thanks. Here's sort of what I envision for planting, if done minimally....
    sketchaqua1.JPG

Orlandog7 likes this.
  11. BigAL777

I'm not a fan of the red on the right side, but I like it on the left, you could even make the red on the left bigger. It might look cool weaved through the branches.

J Art likes this.
  12. ShadowMac

The acicularis will be much taller than your picture. You might want to consider lilaeopsis brasiliensis (micro sword) there instead. What is in the middle if the tree. E. tennelus? It might be a bit unruly there. What about blyxxa? With the drawing I really think you should consider E. Parvula as your foreground grass.

I like the wood. Both arrangements are very good. The trick will be getting it to stay in place, even water soaked pieces will have some slight boyancy.

I think the planting plan looks good. The moss on the small branches will need frequent trimming to keep it from bunching up wide and distorting the appearance.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

J Art likes this.
  13. J Art

Monte Carlo up front and acicularis all the way in back. No grass in forground despite my use of the grass brush in Photoshop.

Middle of the tree can be either blyxxa or maybe microsorum needle leaf.

Yea I think it might be interesting to keep things in place. Going to start the soaking process soon. I'm content with this option I think.

Manzanita is fun to work with. So far at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShadowMac likes this.
  14. keithgh

J Art

RED It looks like two warning lights between the main structure.

No red please.

You might consider a slight moulding under the main structure and keep the substrate level at the front.

Another choice suggested by Alex in another topic higher substrate both ends as if your structure is in a valley.

J Art likes this.
  15. J Art

Thanks @Keith for tips. I agree, two spots of red stand out quite a bit. I would like to use ludwigia sp. red in here somewhere though. It's a beautiful accent plant. Maybe just on the right side peeking out from behind the trunk.

Looking at it this morning, I can see a taller stem plant in the back right working as well, sort of emphasizing the subtle triangle shape pointing to the left.

@ShadowMac any tips on moss placement on branches to give a natural effect? Or is it basically just a matter of trimming often?

16. ShadowMac

I think your drawing looks good. I like to put it in sections of branches that branch out. My first ever aquascape I put fissidens all over the tips of the plants...then Tom Barr said it looked like the trees from "The Lorax". I hated them after that...

I like the lone ludwigia red you have chosen. If kept moderately low I think it will give a nice accent to a mixed carpet look. If you use stems that get taller than your wood...you will lose a bit of the tree effect and I'm not sure you want to do that. If you get a chance, take another look at the Fillipe Olievera tree video I had posted on Facebook. It uses the microsword as the primary carpeting plant mixed with a broad leafed hydrocotyle.

Keeping the acicularis tamed will be a challenge. For my next scape I have been thinking about how to plant the giant hairgrass and keep it in place. I am thinking of using a cut up water bottle like a smart water bottle to create a planting tube in the substrate that will hold in all the runners and keep the plant in place. It may peak a little above the substrate, but with where I plan to put it, it won't matter. Might be something to think about.

I wouldn't use the needle leaf java fern. It gets big. Leaves are 8-10" long. Imagine that spreading out in all directions from that center point and you see that you lose the delicate well constructed look of the hardscape. E. tennelus or blyxxa would work. the small tennelus will spread around giving a wilder look. The blyxxa will be fuller and stay in place as it is not too invasive. just a fast growing weed.

J Art likes this.
  17. keithgh

J Art

All you can do is try it and see how it looks remembering how will it look when its develops into a larger plant.

You might consider making it a feature plant and have several areas or one large area eg fill in the back RH corner.

J Art likes this.
  18. J Art

[​IMG]
    Day 2 of soaking. Already most pieces are sinking. Tannins leaching pretty good. This was right after changing the water.

Zeus likes this.
  19. BigAL777

Do you have a big kettle? If you boil the wood for two hours it will pull most of the tannis out.

J Art likes this.
  20. J Art

I've boiled in the past and has worked well, but was only 1 piece and not a big pile. I plan on soaking for a week or more here, so most will be removed by then. Replacing with hot water every morning from the tub, it will be the same effect just spread over a week instead of 2 hours.