1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Iwagumi Layout

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Original, May 23, 2012.

1. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

It might be an idea to just replant that hc stem by stem and it'll carpet fine.

To be honest, almost anything is possible with the tank, iwagumi's I don't think are all that easy to maintain compared to say a wood scape with slow growers and lower levels of light. Hairgrass would be about the same as blyxa I guess, they're both very fast, I think blyxa might be easier to maintain.

Diatoms are normally cleaned up by ottos better than anything else. I tend to add about 6-8 in a tank this sort of size. Other than that rather predictably I'd point you to James c's guide.

Sponsored link:

2. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

Sorry I didn't post before and after, I was too busy to take a pic, but here it is. i uprooted all hc that was floating and poked it in the substrate. Root please :)

Co2 has ran out completely. See I said I had some on order? silly me ordered a collect in person item ffs! ordered another 2kg of co2. with two tanks I can have one re-filled and ready when the secondary goes.

[​IMG]

3. Original

Merry Christmas everyone its been a long time since my last post, i need help. I've somewhat neglected this tank, all the fish are doing fine, as for plants I don't know where I am going wrong as the hc will not root, it's healthy but just not putting down roots. Im dosing about 1ml of tnc complete 1.5 - 0.5 - 5-6 everyday with co2 running on a nice colour on the drop checker and dosing flourish excel too. Now since this last post what was my carpet has disintegrated or just overgrown. please, any advice will be greatly appreciated. I've been working in a new job and havent had the time to maintain this tank.

[​IMG]

4. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

try this out:

this is the new technique which I have used to grow cuba- Please be adviced, this applies mostly for who buy cuba in it's mat form.

1) Take the thinnest green coarse type dishwasher you can find.
    2) Cut it into size smaller than the placement areas where the cuba planting is intended.
    3) Take a small amount of the tank soil you are using, add a small bit of water and make it into a muck (thick one thought)
    4) Take non-bio De-gradable toothpicks and pierce the base pad before hand.
    5) put the muck as created in step 3 and put it over the pad on top of which put the cuba and simply tie with a thread/fishing line and with the help of the toothpicks just shove it into the ground substrate to keep it fixed.

That's it done. The reason of such is -> Cuba has the smallest roots as known - so the point of the muck is to give it a soft base to catch hold on to the ground as fast as possible. The reason of the dishwasher is to provide a base so that the muck does not get released in the weaterline+provide porosity for water movement. With this method I have noticed that the cuba instantly gets attached via roots in less than 3 days and starts spreading. Now one might ask me - but what about the rest of the substrate - I will say see - since the initial root development is the most important I concentrated in it more, once settled the root system will automatically try an adjust to the substrate in and around it. Yes you do need high light+High CO2 for the first few days post planting..after which just lay back and enjoy the growth. Hope people gets benefited out of this simple idea to an alternative to non-availablity/non-fundability of powder type aquarium soil.

5. Original

Iv'e done what you said above - bough a few packs of scourers and tied the hc on to them (scourers soaked in substrate muck, and holes poked with cocktail sticks to aid rooting) and burried them in the substrate. I hope this works. Its stoppes the hc floating around anyway and the assassin snails are having trouble sliming underneath it and uprooting as they did.

Theyve had two babies so i now have two adult assassins and two babies, and very few ramshorns which i had an outbreak of. I'll post a pic if you wish. I trimmed the blyxa too and replanted as it was going a bit crazy.

My 3 x 14w t5 tank lights have had an issue also, one of them packed in. I tried fixing but the starter is fried and i cannot find a replacement so im running two 14w on 15gallon at the mo. Iv ordered a new ballast. 2 x 24w HO setup. Should be here shortly. Im tweaking my co2 up but being careful as i've gassed a few ottos in the past. They recover but appear to die after of brain injuries or something, bad bad bad.

6. abhradip1986

post a pic for sure lets see how it looks..works excellent for me..i actually came up with this idea as i did not wish to buy powder type soil ..so would love it if others get success out of it...:)

7. Original

The HC had no chance of rooting. Its a shame looking at pics of a nice carpet from page 6 (although still floating, not fully rooted). I guess if i left it dry starting longer it would have took a better grip but I left it for months and became impatient.

Pics as promised. Theres been some die-back post scourer method. here goes:

[​IMG][​IMG]

baukeshalmas likes this.
  8. abhradip1986

looks good actually..:) fingers crossed now..:)

9. Garuf

My personal suspicions are that it's related to low flow as the carpet and tank got more dense, if this doesn't work or in addition to this I would suggest increase the flow and tinkering with the flow patterns to give a better flow thought the HC.

10. Original

Thanks Garuf,

My filter is fairly pumping I see the little tetras getting blown about a bit, its coming from over the top of that big rock though, and has to be pointed to create surface ripple to avoid scum/ film on the top. Its a shame I'm struggling getting a carpet rooted, at one point I had something which looked fairly decent :'(

I then topped up the tank with water and watched the carpet float away...

btw guys, switched from a 3 x 14w t5 regular to:

2 x 24w t5 HO, that is a few extra watts, not that its gonna make a difference :p

11. Garuf

If you're getting scum then that relates to co2 again also potentially not enough trace and of course flow. What are you dosing again? Keep an eye on feeding too, some flakes are very oily.

What is your filters LPH? Try shuffling the outlet around the scape and trying it much closer to the front pane of glass, almost against it to get better flow where it's really needed at the substrate level. Presumably the tetras are "battered" when they swim directly into the filters outlet near the top rather than at the substrate level? I know those outlets and the fluval ribbed tubing really kills flow and is a real PITA to keep clean, you can get around 10% better turn over by swapping to smooth tubing and I suspect get maybe a bit more on top if you swapped for a less restricting outlet, the ehiem green crooks were £3 not that long ago on aquessentials, worth a punt since I find them a good product for what they need to do just a shame they're bloody green! If not, spray bars though ugly are the best thing there is for a good flow.

In regards to your new light I suspect you'll have a good deal more light, those 14w tubes and ballasts are notoriously poor quality so provided the new one is a reasonable make I can't see why you wouldn't get something like 30% more light?

12. WetElbow

WetElbow Aspiring Aquascaper

That's a real shame with HC. The carpet looked really good at one stage.

13. Original

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I gave up with the HC guys, my Glosso was going nuts as it does, so instead of buy more HC and waste it i just chopped and planted the Glosso. I reckon those Assassin snails uprooted it somewhat, I've noticed their burrowing tendencies. I'm completely pest snail free though I guess.

14. Asthaparhim

Asthaparhim Aspiring Aquascaper

Had the same problem, also gave up with the HC. My glosso grows like weed now, hope yours will grow like weed too. Good luck!

15. Linds

Linds Aspiring Aquascaper

Interesting. I thought the ribbed pipe would actually improve flow because of eddy currents(not the electrical term but similar effect). Like a golf ball. They put the pits on the surface to decrease resistance. I'm not arguing, just interested. I have the same Fluval pipes. Or one now because I exchanged it for smooth when I built a CO2 reactor.

Linds

16. Original

I've emptied most of the tank as I'm reworking some hardscape, I have newly acquired Sumatra driftwood soaking. Once ready I'm going to drain the water level, siphon what I can from the substrate and create a prominent slope for depth and add a new layer of flora base. All with fauna still in, I did consider removing everything but I haven't a spare tank to keep inhabitants and I'll end up buying them back from the LFS anyhow :)

I'm replacing Fluval ribbed hose with smooth bore hose, from the picture, I'm confident I need a lily pipe with a diameter of at least 16mm to create a snug fit, yes?
    lily pipes are too expensive to mess up by buying an incorrect fit, and I don't wanna have to DIY it lol

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. kinyko

kinyko New Member

How are your aquarium? ;)