1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Iwagumi Layout

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Original, May 23, 2012.

1. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

IMO! get assasin snails right away! they will become an infestation in no time!!!

Sponsored link:

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

It's best to dose daily to avoid peaks and troughs. The water changes are down to the low biomass, plants splurging waste while changing forms and to remove algal spores from the tank. With soil substrates its better to go a bit longer I prefer 2 weeks of every day just to mitigate any potentials.

Surplus nutrients isn't the cause of algae, ammonia and low co2 are the causes.

The snail isn't feeding off the o2, they are able to take it direct from the water.

I don't know what flurish xl is, is it a macro micro mix or is it a liquid carbon?

3. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

Flourish is a liquid carbon produced by Seachem. I'm just shocked to see the small snail alive when I'm pumping so much co2 into there.

Not to worry when I get fauna I'll get an assassin snail to take care of the little things, they are freshwater limpets, Acroloxus lacustris. (I once had a tank of Rosy Barbs who annihilated a colony of them) they must have came in on the new HC possibly.

I'll make sure to do a water change in the morning as I was going to start skipping a day out of laziness, but now I see why its important.

4. abhradip1986

flourish excel is liquid carbon, basically 5% glutaraldehyde solution.. :)

5. Garuf

Ahhh, yes, Excel I'm aware of, xl I thought sounded like it was a version of tropicas tmc+ or something. Excel photodegrades so it's better to dose it daily since it breaks down in less than 24 hours when exposed to light.
    Are you dosing? Because if you aren't it'd be wise to start asap.

6. Original

I've had quite a mishap, I need your advice. I was doing a daily 50% water change as usual, and because of the location I have to take a bucket directly to the tank and siphon it out using the filter intake. Now two days ago my filter jammed and I thought I would be fine pouring the bucket directly in, which resulted in all of the hc on that mound uprooting and floating away! it hadn't taken root.

Now I thought what to do what to do... I salvaged what I could that floated away and toothpick'd it back to the slope. It's literally like a building project I've underpinned it.

Please tell me if this will grow back, pic to follow once tank light comes on, eta 3 hrs. I will update.

[​IMG]

7. Original

I can only wait and hope it roots, I hope it doesn't take too long.

Do you think this would look ridiculous? I know it would mean no shrimp, but if I had a shoal of say 8 ember tetras, a few ottos... and a beautiful short-finned Betta in there? I've seen some lovely ones and it may keep the shoal tighter, although it may also distract from the scape itself. It was just a though, as I've seen some real nice ones with lovely coloration.

8. Original

Guys I know I post more on my thread than anyone else but I need tips/ advice and I am kinda obsessed with aquascaping as I am fairly new to the hobby and love feedback.

I bought more HC (must be around 8 pots now) because it either melted or I messed it up, its all a learning curve for me. I've patched up the bare areas and toothpicked it down as said before, (which seems a good way to hold it down)

I've also bought a HYDROCOTYLE LEUCOCEPHALIS, It's smallish and I've planted it behind my focal large rock on the right, it should be visible once grown-in. I thought it was H. Japan when I bought it although I didn't check until I got home.

Has anyone any feedback or knows if the above plant was a good choice? apparently it thrives in all conditions I just hope its not a pest, invasive kinda species.

9. abhradip1986

10. Original

Guys its slowly growing in and I'm going to remove those toothpicks eventually, thank you so much for your help!

It looks beautiful, I've always wanted an Iwagumi type layout and this one is a keeper :)

Next steps are, remove toothpicks securing hc, add some fauna, specifically otto's to eat the slight bba
    an assassin snail to kill the few limpets in there, and of course... post pics! and buy you all a beer haha

abhradip1986 likes this.
  11. Original

I tried gassing method of snail removal, it didn't work, as it resulted in more pearling, and they survived off of that.

I now have 3 Assassin Snails in there hunting those critters down, and my hc is slowly slowly filling in :)

abhradip1986 likes this.
  12. Original

13. Original

So here it is - to date - pic doesn't do the fish justice as I only had one light on and it was 4000k which doesn't make those red's of the ember's pop. I'll update next week or so. that Blyxa needs a trim doesn't it...

Fauna: 12 Ember Tetra, 3 Assassin Snail, 5 Otto and 6 Amano shrimp

[​IMG]

14. abhradip1986

IMO blyxa does not need a trim..let it become bushier..for my taste the long plant on the right is a distraction..if possible play round with it a bit..other than that..cool HC carpet! success at last..:)

15. Garuf

It's looking great, just a tip, if you can replace that fluval outlet, if you can stand a spray bar for a spray bar if not for anything else, they give extremely poor flow patterns in the tank which can make life a lot more difficult and they strangle flow too with that u bend and the corrugated tubing.

Yeah, that vallis nana is it isn't all that key, replacing that with blyxa will give a better visual balance.

16. Original

that's c. helferi like you recommended. take it out and replace with a blyxa bush? It is growing like crazy

17. Garuf

Ahhh sorry, I meant to plant it behind the largest rock on the left hand side. Where it is atm would be better with some blyxa once you're ready to trim, live and learn and anyway, it's your scape if you like it, keep it. :)

18. Original

I've removed the C. Helferi, it just wasn't right there was it... it had a strong root structure already.

Replaced with Blyxa, shouldn't be long before that bushes out - I must say I really do like Blyxa - when it grows the roots push it above the substrate from which it's buried and it takes off. My HC doesn't seem to be rooting on the slope it's all spongy and floating when touched, unlike the HC at the front. I'll leave it hopefully it will anchor down eventually.

I turned up co2 and reduced lighting, although this resulted in more algea believe it or not, so I've put lighting on full again. Hoping the flora out-competes the algae.

I read brown hair algae is due to phosphorous, I've pulled off what I could and gonna let the Amano's do the rest. I'll update in a few week.

19. Garuf

20. Original

Blyxa has literally taken over it needs a trim, my fert shedule has gone to pot since i started this new job and algea or diatoms have taken hold of the tank big time. The Hc which was on the slope refuses to root and take hold. Its really annoying me. And to top that off my co2 is running low and ive got some more on order.

Im considering tearing layout down for something less maintenance and easier to maintain. Another iwagumi but with dwarf hair grass or something? I don't know whats possible in a 15gal tank. 75l.

But diatoms and the hc is really irritating me. Any advice plz? Il post a pic bext week before i trim and clean. Its a mess.