1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Iwagumi Layout

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Original, May 23, 2012.

1. youjettisonme

youjettisonme Aspiring Aquascaper

Having kept both, blyxa japonica and dwarf sag look quite a bit similar in the tank, even side by side. The difference, as has been mentioned, is one of shooting runners and growth. Blyxa is an easy to manage plant. Dwarf Sag is anything but. Not only will it shoot out constant runners in high light, the roots are absolutely massive and will suck nutrients away from any neighboring plants, in some cases even killing those varieties who aren't equipped to compete. Try to uproot them? You're taking half your substrate with you in that case. When I think of my ultimate aquascaping nightmare from a maintenance standpoint, I think of a high light tank featuring glosso and dwarf sag. The combination makes me shudder.

All that said, if you need a quick scape, or you need to fill in some areas on the quick, you couldn't pick a better combination. So, just like with so many plants, it all depends on your goals.

Sponsored link:

2. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

Thank you for clearing that up for me, I thought that may be the case as on ebay 3 specimens of blyxa cost the same price as 25 dwarf sag lol i'll avoid that as im looking for a fairly low maintenance tank, after my last riccia scape I want a rest lol thanks for clearing that up.

3. Original

Now we wait...

I have more time to inspect the tank now and I really want to fill it up and put some fish in there. Ember tetras FTW? or Neons or Cardinals I can never decide.
    So am i right in saying once flooded daily 50% water changes for a week before its safe adding fish? (I'm a noob it's my first time growing in soil) all you aquascapers inspired me, gravel is restricting.

That landscaping dept down at my local gardening store was a bonus for those rocks, I got them for next to nothing. I have loads more I've decorated the base of my tree outside with :p

Oh, and some Blyxa specimens are on the way, most likely next week. I hope they're quality. I'll check for snails and eggs too I hate snails. These are submerged from a random Ebayer so I'll inspect them.
    Snails are always a pain. BUT my plan is anyway.. once flooded the plants are going to be striving for Co2, as they've got plenty available from the atmospheric air. So I'm gonna flood the tank with co2 anyhow, which should be pretty lethal to all forms of life in there.. eggs may survive though. I don't know.

Sorry I went off on a tangent I'm thinking out loud on these forums again lol

4. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Platinum tetras, not sure on the sceintific name, they look like all silver neons would be my personal choice. Embers are great fish but colour up much better in a densley planted tank.
    in regard to water changes, first 2 weeks daily, 2 weeks every other day, twice a week for two weeks then weekly tends to give the least heartache, it's worth the extra leg work, best to not add fish till after than anyway.

The eggs will survive, they always do which is a pita, a pair or so assasin snails tends to be the easiest way of tidying up snails.

abhradip1986 likes this.
  5. Original

Thanks guys, first time I've heard of platinum tetras!

I'm missing some depth I reckon, some more rocks in front of that large one coupled with midground plants between them I'm thinking.. It's still early days. At least I don't have to worry about mixing sand with aquasoil! damn that would make things a whole lot harder to change lol I will update in a couple of weeks.

6. Original

Blyxa arrived.. I'm not too impressed I payed around £8 in total and expected 3 rooted specimens and they arrived today, in a small baggie with no moisture at all with a page out of the Argos catalog for men's shaving included for free.

They were cuttings! not rooted like i saw in the picture. Ah well lets hope they root -.-

*****Guys what do you think of hydrocotyl japan in this tank as a midground plant????*****

7. Original

****Help Urgently Required****

HC seems to be doing well everywhere apart from my slope!! please help any advice much needed

As you can see its all healthy but the slope is dying off!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Garuf

Could it possibly be that it's too dry at the top? Possible need for ferts?
    Sorry I can't help more, emersed isn't my forte.

9. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

As I mentioned before after 5th day of DSM I start with fert+excel misting via manual mister! plus as Garuf already mentioned it's become a bit dry. IMO start off with 1 ml micro+ 1 ml excel mix everyday twice that should do the trick..:)

10. Garuf

ps. That's a shame about the blyxa, it's a pretty rare plant lately and alas this means sometimes people take advantage.

H.japan or tripartia would be good but it's a thug and will need a lot of trimming to keep it in check if you plan on using it as a subtly rather than a carpet.

11. Original

Guys, I'll take your advice that it's due to drying out because the rest is doing okay as you can see.

Its great having all of the experts in one place, that's what this forum is all about :)

The Blyxa melted away after a week or so and didn't root. I told the Ebayer from day one I wasn't happy with this purchase and he said something about him being in debt and would do the best in his power to amend this purchase. I think I'll buy from a reputable online source and get some background thin-leaved plants whilst I'm at it, once I've flooded the tank.

Cheers

12. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Blyxxa does not deal well with transitions and really you shouldn't need to DSM it. The DSM is generally used to get good ground coverage of plants like HC.

Blyxxa can sometimes melt when introduced to a new setup, even submerged but if the roots aren't pulled can come back. It is very weedy and I would just add it once you fill the tank.

13. Garuf

I find blyxa doesn't really take transitioning well even between tanks, I imagine it's bad between emersed/submerged, it also travels especially badly, it's a beautiful plant though. I'd suggest getting some when you fill the tank filled up and you're nuking it with co2 and floating it at the surface for a week or so before planting. I always found I had better success when doing that. That is if you're still set on it...

I know many may see this as heresy (though I don't know why, Amano's early scapes did it) but perhaps some moss stones punctuating the base of the rocks may look really great.

14. Original

This morning I checked my tank progress as I do, and see a SLUG sliming up the side of the aquarium. I've seen spiders in there before (I don't know how as I've had the tank covered with cling film) anyhow the slugs posed a threat to my plants. I decided it was time to flood. So I did, the dying section hadn't rooted and floated away so I'm re-planting that submerged.

Upon flooding I saw more slugs die, so they can't be aquatic slugs! anyhow if they are, I nuked the tank with co2 today and for the next foreseeable weeks. I still have it cling filmed to keep co2 levels max. I'm seeing crazy pearling, that's what uprooted that dying mound. Anyhow I have more hc, blyxa and c helferi on the way.

15. Garuf

Remember to do lots of waterchanges and to dose!

16. Original

As you can see I lost a considerable amount of HC on that small mound, although the rest is flourishing!

Hopefully in a few weeks that mound will look healthy, for now I've added some Blyxa and C. Helferi and some extra HC to patch up my losses. I know you guys are probably sick of all the pictures but here it is at current:

Any tips?

p.s the dying patches near the front mid-right side there are new sprouts amongst the dying patches so it's looking good to recover, but for now when mixed with the brown melted patches doesn't look so attractive lol

Fauna in a few weeks yay! I fancy maybe 3 otto's, possibly some amano shrimp, and a small shoal of whatever appeals to me at the lfs, I still love those ember tetra's though.
    [​IMG]

17. abhradip1986

I would say get the Yamato shrimps a bit later..they might end up uprooting the HC as it's still trying to root up! get around 6 oto's they'll do the job just fine upto then ;) And my-oh-my it's turning up to be a real beauty..:)

18. Original

This may be a silly question, but I'm doing 50% water change everyday. This is solely to remove ammonia right?

I'm wondering whether I can keep dosing and get away with water changes every second day, I've done changes daily for about 5 days now.
    I haven't a hose either so it's a case of filling and emptying buckets which is a real pain, I'm glad its a little tank lol

19. abhradip1986

5 days is okay! now for the next 2 weeks I would suggest 50% WC every two days after which you can move to weekly once WC..! and yes, it's not only to remove leached ammonia, but also to avoid algae due to surplus nutrients in the water column...:)

20. Original

I see, i did have a little hair algae on the dead patches of hc although that's cleared up.
    I'm dosing about 1ml of flourish XL daily which is overkill for my tank , as 5ml is enough for 250l once or twice a week.

So i really should be doing 1ml or so per week as my tank is 75l, alas though healthy plants and no algae.

To my surprise I see a limpet snail in my tank, you know the small, tiny ones? and to think it's surviving with the tank being co2 nuked and still covered in clingfilm to avoid any oxygen at all. must be living off of the pearling off the plants i guess.