1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Iwagumi Layout

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Original, May 23, 2012.

1. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

o_O Men don't go for spa days...
    With the exception of the die off I hope it works out for you, I'm keeping an eye on this to see if it was more than just low temps that gave me poor growth.

Sponsored link:

2. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

massage was too big a word to type with my boss peeping into my laptop..:p hehe..:)

3. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

You can actually open the plastic wrap and let the water evaporate.

4. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

I could open the top but humidity would be gone and temps probably drop, I've got a lot more moisture out anyway and I've left my poke hole in the substrate to do more syringing tonight.

Spa day :) sitting in the steam room being a lazy ass. That sounds good haha

I'm adding another bag of substrate in a week or so and that'll be reasonably dry and wick up any excess moisture as well as creating my slope I lost when I initially flooded the tank.

Question: there's broken up pieces of aquasoil visible from the front of the tank, should I replace the front for visuals or will it breakdown over time anyway? Silly question I know lol. Il grab another pot of hc to fill in what died off too.

5. abhradip1986

chill ma man! once the cuba grows that'll get covered any way. plus guess anybody viewing the tank would not check the soil granule condition under a a microscope anyway..:p

6. Original

Guys, I've neglected this tank somewhat. The LFS told me they would have more soil in within a week, I waited 5 WEEKS. I cancelled and ordered online.

Here we go pics to follow. I'm buying more hc and some hairgrass, what other plants? any suggestions? any background plants? or just hair grass and hc?

I've had a lot of hc die off, roughly 50%. Over saturated substrate. Live and learn.

I'll get some more pots, let it root for a week or so then flood.

7. Original

8. abhradip1986

With that big rock on the left a good mix of cyperous helferi and jancus repens might look good as the BG. rest on the right i would keep it minimum so to say with just HG. in the midway there is huge lot of empty space try getting hands on pogostemon helferi if possible it might actually look good.. :) wait for others to pitch in their ideas, then you can take a collective decision. best of luck plus the HC which has survived is looking good to me..should pick up fast in a few days.

9. Garuf

I'd wait of on filling just yet, c. helfri (not downoi) or blyxa would be nice, depends on what your vision for the tank is, it's not to say that you can't add them later, it'll keep the interest without re-scaping.

10. Original

Garuf I'll take your advice and wait on filling. I still have planting to do.

Would you have a background plant or not? I don't know whether to keep it simple or add a few different species in there.

I have more hc on order so it shouldn't be long before ive got a decent carpet going on.

11. Original

[​IMG]

So this layour looks okay? i've slightly altered the position of the huge rock, not that it makes a noticeable difference i don't think

Opinions please, regarding anything. plants, rocks, anything. :)

EDIT: even though I'd ordered some Hc from LFS instead I BOUGHT some from aquaessentials, as I know LFS's in my area as absolute BS when itcomes to client service.

Question, which pants and where? I know you experts helped me with the layout, I need help with the planting now :)

P.s anyone doing DSM I'dd advise against flooding prior to dsm, its a p.i.t.a to extract that excess water, fill it, spray it and plant it.

12. Original

The HC is filling out like crazy! over the past couple days that one side looks almost covered, i have 3 more pots on the way that should arrive maybe tomorrow as well!

So midground and background
    • C. helferi
    • Blyxa
    Any input? I don't know whats best for this look as a mid and background plant and where. I'm struggling,

13. abhradip1986

cyperous helferi + jancus repens would be a good BG plants as I suggested before but putting blyxa japonica at corners of rock too will look good, but i would recommend you to dig a big harder for MG plants, as otherwise the leaf structure between the BG and MG will kind of merge and disrupt the depth you are trying to build.

14. Original

abhradip, you've been an asset to me during my learning.

I woke up this morning and...

wait for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The HC fairy visited me!

15. Original

I am going to fill that back valley with hc by the way, once i get round to trimming and planting. Gotta let what I've just put in lay down some roots.

I haven't decided about MG or BG yet I'm gonna have to uproot to place them, unless I get them quick

16. abhradip1986

17. Garuf

Don't stress on plant choice too much, it's rare in early scapes to nail it first time plus plants are easy to change so it's no big issue if you're not chuffed straight away, it keeps a tank interesting after the scaping stage this way.

18. Original

How does Sagittaria Subulata compare to Blyxa Japonica? im trying to find a good source of Blyxa and a specimen of C helferi as suggested

19. abhradip1986

blyxa will get bushier and it kind of stays in it's own without throwing runners much on the otherhand dwarf sag will throw runners like crazy the moments things come to it's liking, and might end up uprooting the HC if a barrier is not provided (personal experience..:p)

20. Garuf

Nothing alike I'm afraid. Tropica have blyxa on their lists but I don't know where you could get it from, living waters maybe?
    Sabulta has much much thicker leaves, much darker and a much less desirable growth habit, blyxa is actually a stem plant if I remember rightly.

c helfri is available wherever they sell aquafleur, Aquaessentials perhaps might be the best bet.