1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Iwagumi Layout

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Original, May 23, 2012.

1. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm trying an iwagumi style layout, this is the first time I've grown using soil or Flora-Base to be exact, this is a picture of what mt tank looks like at the moment. I've just stripped it down from my old riccia lawn. Anyhow this is just a picture to show what I've got to deal with.

This is not the finished hardscape, I would like some constructive criticism though.

Please, give your input on what to change or move rock-wise. I do have more smaller chunks of slate I just need to smash a large piece up, I'll get around to that when I find my hammer lol so there is more to be added to the hardscape.

Any hints, tips or tricks? I'm going for a HC Cuba lawn dry-start-method and havent decided on background planting yet, any input would be appreciated.

Here we go:
    [​IMG]

Sponsored link:

2. Original

Hows it looking so far guys?

I'll check back on this tomorrow I need a sleep after cleaning out the whole tank and filter. I don't want any trace of riccia coming back.

I have half a bag full of flora-base left. I'm enjoying a fish-less tank as I know I can crank that co2 way way up and not worry.

It's staying waterless for a week or so until I decide definitely how I want it.

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

It's a start but here are my comments, as you prepare and develop your Iwagumi layout.

- Substrate bed should be thicker. About 2 inches in the front and gradually increasing to 3 inches to the back. This will give you instant depth.

- Add texture, and interest to your substrate bed. For example, you can increase the substrate thickness in back further by going 3.5-4 inches high, directly in the center (to create a hill/mound behind the rocks).

- Rock formation is key for an Iwagumi. There should be one main focal rock, and two additional (large) rocks to highlight and put the visual spotlight on the focal rock. Smaller rocks can be used to accent. For your layout, I think you need add a more interesting piece of larger rock, and then move the smallest rocks to the front wings of the layout to form a "V" if you were looking at the rocks from above.

- In regards to a rock layout tip, place the largest rock in first and then look to create a natural balance using the other rocks that you have.

- Keep in mind, odd rock numbers of 3, 5, 7 will help achieve a greater sense of balance.

I'm sure others will chime in and give their two cents. ;)

-John N.

CatfishSoupFTW likes this.
  4. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

I'd say even deeper, get the substrate as close to 50degrees as you can and bigger rocks, they'll soon disappear with settling and plants in their. What's the tank, like 15-18 inches deep? Aim for rocks about 10 inches or so tall, you'll lose nearly a 1/3 if not more with the plants and settling. Those two rocks are so small they're not worth putting in their. :p

When it comes to rock work, go big or go home. ;)

5. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Your rocks is too small, unless you planning to reduce the water level to half.

6. Original

So my rocks are too small? When buying I thought that they'd be too large but obviously required to be half burried in the substrate.

I'll get some larger rocks today at the landscaping dept and put those in and see what you guys think.

I will add the rest of the 1/2 bag to create some depth at the back

I will update this later tonight with some new hardscape, as it's been said a few times. My rocks are just too small to impress ;)

7. arvant

arvant New Member

add some small stones would be more helpful to create a good rock formation, succes for your iwagumi

8. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

Following. Im workin on one as well, and reading these tips will help me out.

9. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

Substrate has to be increased a lot plus larger stones as already pointed out..will follow the development..:)

10. Original

I got bigger rocks people, pics to follow in an hour or so.. about twice the size.

Thanks for the constructive criticism lets see what you think.

Stay tuned.

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. abhradip1986

waiting..:) hope i'll see the hardscape before I go to sleep for the night..:)

12. Original

That rock laying on the foreground isnt planning on staying there btw, it does obstruct the view. Fire away people.

Those rocks on the floor are extra rocks, with a lighter for size comparison. I can use them if needed. I can take a hammer to them to get smaller pieces, what you guys think of my monster rock? any tips on layout?

13. abhradip1986

can you put in the two rocks on the left (on the ) floor inside the tank. try a scape with them once, for what I can make out they are of perfect size.

14. John N.

You definitely got bigger rocks now. ;)

- Keep the big rock (left most rock), and build around it with two smaller rocks.
    - Keep in mind depth i.e. place rocks in different positioning from front to back. Currently looks like they are all inline.
    - Place the rocks into the substrate so that they appear naturally. Bury part of the rocks if necessary.

-John N.

15. Original

16. abhradip1986

IMO change the centre rock angle by few degrees towards the left, let it slant a bit diagonally. And the flat rock on the left angled a bit towards right, but again the substrate layer has to be increased from the back

17. Original

I'll empty what substrate I have left into the tank once I get the rocks lookin' good, before I turn the rock, is it too centralised? I have a lot of rocks and many options now lol

18. John N.

Agreed with Abhradip. Not bad, getting there, but still lacking depth and a clear focal point. Maybe try this (see attached).

-John N.

Attached Files:

19. abhradip1986

Nice one John, that's kinda what I had in mind as well..:)

20. Original

Like....

This? with the substrate levelled of course. anyone else ideas?

[​IMG]