Is this Narrow or Needle Leaf Java Fern? the leaves are <1 cm wide.

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by kakkoii, Jun 10, 2008.

1. kakkoii

kakkoii New Member

Is this narrow or needle leaf java fern? the leaves are <1 cm wide. I think it is needle leaf java fern because I had narrow leaf java fern and the leaves were 3/4 in wide. HELP![​IMG]
  2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Is there a difference between "Needle Leaf" and "Narrow Leaf" Java Fern varieties, or is it just two names for the same plant? I believe they are the same plant..with two names.

I have a plant that looks exactly like that. I've have always been told it's a "Needle Leaf" Java Fern.

-John N.
  3. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

According to so stuff I have read there is debate going on about this. In my tank called "Pursuit of Longevity" if you look at the right bunch and compare it to the left bunch there seems to be a difference. I can't confirm this but have a look for yourself.

[​IMG]
  4. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

What I remember about this tank was that the right side "needleleaf" fern seemed to grow closer to a 90* angle and the left side "narrowleaf" fern grew closer to a 45* angle.

Note there is some both types in both areas.
  5. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

6. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Very interesting. I'm looking at your photos Roy and I can't see the difference. I do see what what you're saying about the 90 degree angles on the right side verses the 45/70 degree angles on the left side.

Then you said there are portions of both plants on either sides. To me everything on the right is growing straight up, whereas the left side is a bit more angled. Why the difference? Well, maybe other factors came into play like plant placement, water flow, lighting intensity, plant arrangement on the anchor rock/driftwood, etc. I don't know, but I still think they look the same. :)

-John N.
  7. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

I was told that the narrow leaf and needle leaf are pretty much similar, its hard to debate even if the needleleaf is just 1mm thinner than the narrowleaf.
  8. kakkoii

kakkoii New Member

This is my hypothesis: I believe that the narrow/needle leaf varieties are determined by the leaf width. mine seem to fall under the needle leaf specifications. Roy, the java fern on the right and left look the same (imo), however the java fern on the right has a slight shadow cast over it making the leaves search for the light a little more. this explains the 45 degree angle and the thicker leaves that it has. the java fern on the left is in direct sunlight which makes the leaves a 90 degree angle and more thin. I can conclude that both varieties are the same or that they have ever so slight variations, but I think it's A. Just my 2 cents.:)
  9. kakkoii

kakkoii New Member

IDK it is still hard to tell.
  10. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

It's hard to tell from the pic but most of the fern on the RIGHT has thinner leaves and were growing more at a 90* angle. The wider leaves on the fern at the LEFT is growing more at a 45* angle. They is no shadow on the left it's just that it's not as tall. trust me the lights on this tank extend over the entire length of the tank. If anything there is a center glass brace over the fern on the left.

Did you check out the link I provided earlier on this thread. It's the "experts" talking at AGA forum.

From my experience in this tank I'm convinced that there is a "narrow' and a "needle" leaf variety.
  11. kakkoii

kakkoii New Member

I suppose because as I said it depends on leaf width.
  12. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

old thread but narrow and needle are definately different varieties.

If you leave them both to do their own thing needle will get much longer. It is also much wilder looking as Roy shows above. Needle leaf will go all over the place at different angles, leave twisting and turning. Narrow will normally be much tidier with straight leaves.

Not sure if there is any difference in width. they look the same width to me, just the length and growth pattern different.

Andy