1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Is this a Diatom bloom??

Discussion in 'Algae' started by vijaykgoa, Dec 4, 2009.

1. vijaykgoa

vijaykgoa New Member

Hi,

This tank has been setup 30 days back. For some god forsaken reason, I added ADA's Bacter 100 to the water column to take out the Cyanobacteria ( I had read somewhere that it helps in neutralising it). Now the whole tank is filled up with a reddish brown fine dust. The dust just settles on the plants and does not attach to them. A simple wave will dislodge the dust. Even a 100% water change has not helped and the dust is back the next day. Is this a diatom bloom and any suggestions on how to tackle it. The plants are getting suffocated and am worried they may die. Have done a 100% water change with Dimineralized water.

Cheers,

Vijay.

Attached Files:

2. bhaskarmv

bhaskarmv New Member

Hi Vijay

I cannot answer you question, but I would like to tell you about our product that uses Diatom Algae to keep aquariums clean.

Our product Nualgi causes a controlled bloom of Diatom Algae and this prevents cyanobacteria from blooming, the diatoms contribute to the oxygen level and consume the nutrients in the water. They in turn are consumed by zooplankton and these by the fish.

Excess use of Nualgi would cause the water to turn brown with Diatoms and there could be small layer of Diatoms on the bottom.

3. Carolina

Carolina New Member

Diatoms don't usually suffocate the plants. I thinking dosing with excel will kill it. Then dosing with KNO3, spectricide stump remover, should keep it away. KNO3 has to be diluted or the fish will be affected by it. At Rex Griggs site you can find instructions for diluting it. Could you post a full view of the tank?

4. vijaykgoa

vijaykgoa New Member

Hi Carolina,

Attached full view shot of the aquarium. Am giving KNO3, Nitrates at around 10 ppm. Alos dosing other nutrients- Ferka products. Also CO2 pressurised system- 2 bubbles per second. The bloom seems to have subsided and am hopeful that in a weeks time it should die out by itself.

Cheers,

Attached Files:

5. vijaykgoa

vijaykgoa New Member

Hi,

I had read about you product. Even seen a video of the same being tried out in a lake somewhere in Hyderabad. Thanks. But the product would not be helpful in my case. The existing diatoms will have to outpopulate themselves and die down to a level that the aquarium can maintain and sustain.

Cheers.

6. lydia rose

lydia rose New Member

i have had this problem before also! i thought i was the only one!
    i think its flourite dust. well, at least mine was

7. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Never seen something like this before, normally diatom stick on the glass. Do you have any fauna that help to clean the algae? Normally Otos love to eat diatom

8. Moosman

Moosman New Member

Are you sure its not fine particles from the the substrat that swirl around and settle over night? I have no clue what else it can be, any type of fungus or dust algae looks different to me either... What lightning do you have by the way? Glosso doenst spread horizontally in your tank (of course its the initial stage but its noticeable)

kind regards
    Ben

9. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

More filtration, change filter floss frequently and that should get rid of the debris.

I think it's from the fish waste or substrate debris.

-John N.