1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

is T5 16 watts capable for a 40x25x25cm tank?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by yhoxz, Jun 11, 2017.

1. yhoxz

yhoxz New Member

is T5 bulb 16 watts capable for a 40x25x25 tank?..beacause i do have problem with my monte carlo..

Sponsored link:

2. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi and welcome

So I'll do that maths just for referance in thread

40 x 25 x 25 = 25,000 cc so 25Litres

Tropicas website on light advises 10 to 20 lumuns per litre for easy plants and 20 to 40 lumens per litre for medium plants

so 25 x 10 = 250lumens at the lower end to double 500Lumens at the upper range for easy plants

and 500 to 1,000Lumens for medium plants

T5 give about 40 lumens per watt bulb dependant and a good reflector helps boost output too. so for 16watt T5

16 x 40 = 640Lumens so should be good for easy plants and some medium plants.

Monte carlo as a carpet will be in the upper end light ouput for the light requirments, it can be tricky to get as good carpet esp if there isnt enough light, two T5 16w would be better OFC but more likely to get algea issues, using CO2 plus what ferts are you using , Plus what substrate.

3. yhoxz

yhoxz New Member

thanks zeus..but i've read that monte carlo is an easy plant to grow..by the way, im using a diy c02 and a local substrate from a river bed..maybe one factor is the light i am using why monte carlo cant survive, there are some small leaves growing is it positive sign?..

4. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Not a plant expert myself by a long way. Never grown monte carlo.

Any growth is a positive sign but the plant could just be using its energy reserves, some melting is expected with MC when doing a carpet. But if the light isnt strong enough they will grow up and not carpet well, if light isnt sufficient they will die.

Pic from your other thread ( which I didnt look at at first)

upload_2017-6-11_15-44-39.png

Is that Aquasoil (AS) under the gravel? Could do with some more details about your tank also like what substrate and ferts if any, when did you flood/start your tank. Your trying to do a carpet with the MC which is harder and judging by the pic your light does look insufficient at substrate level to get a healthly growing carpet. can you lower the light as close as possible to water, even and inch hakes a significant difference.

What filter are you using? and its flow rate?
    Not a bad hardscape for a beginner (y)

yhoxz likes this.
  5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

yhoxz

The plant can grow in light shadow, but requires good light conditions, as well as CO2 additive, in order to develop optimally and become really compact.

local substrate from a river bed.
    It "might" help if you can add a quality Fert tablet to your river gravel.

Marcel posted this a few years ago
    Young Monte Carlo is very delicate and takes some time to establish in to immersed growth, in the beginning some melt will kick in. The little young bushes you plant grow up and you if don't cut it, it keeps shooting up. It took me about 2 months to get it to start creeping and i'm still not there where i want it, all this time it looked some what ugly with a lot of melt from older immersed growing leaves. This you need to try to clean out with very delicate vacuuming. Because all that melt and dirt at the substrate level is affecting new growth negatively..

To make it creep you only get with to keep trimming it down. Than the root structure will spread and also the plant. Replant the little stems you cut off, let it rest for a week so it grows i little more roots and trim and replant other parts again. That replanting is also a delicate job, you have to do in little portions, a few little suitable stems at the time and it takes patience and time. Eventually you'll get there, if indeed the rest of the parameters works with you, instead of against you.

Keith:cat::cat:

6. yhoxz

yhoxz New Member

it is not an aquasoil, i got the substrate from the river bed near the farm..
    im using jeneca external filter the flow rate is 260..

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  7. yhoxz

yhoxz New Member

im u
    Im using macro npk fert .5ml every other day, would it be okay or it may cause algea?

8. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

So you using a Hybrid technique well worth reading Tims thread The Soil Substrate Planted Tank - a How to Guide.. excellent thread/ read.

Opps missed that :rolleyes: sorry

Yes could be well worth it.

Never done a soil substrate tank myself, or used MC, the EI ferts are better suited to AS, not that they wont work with your substrate.
    Ferts dont cause algea light does.
    But if you dont have enough light plants grow slower, plus plants grow slower in a soil substrate tank too. Can you boost the light in your tank? even a desk lamp would help, it may not look good to the eye due to the spectrum of the light, but plants dont care about the spectrum/colour they just wont those light photons to use. Green light is the exception as that just gets reflected by the leaves. even if its just part off the tank, then you could see how it goes.

How long a photo period you using - normally advise 6hrs for startup

Your tank is 25 litres and pump has a flow rate of 260 litres per hour, Your pumps should be good enough, normally aim for x10+ for high tech tank size to flow rate of pump(s)

9. keithgh

yhoxz
    The only advice I can give you as there are several options check one at a time if not you could be creating more concerns and still not know what is causing the original concern.

10. yhoxz

yhoxz New Member

Thank you, guys...i am just a beginner to this hobby but i really like it much..thats is why im need more informations on your expertice in this..by now i have 3 aquariums so far and still experimenting how to have a nice one, because i have planned to have an aquascape table in the living room..i just keep on posting some inquiries and post photos as well..

keithgh likes this.
  11. yhoxz

yhoxz New Member

IMG_0370.JPG

This is the one where i need help from you guys, that monte carlo is newly planted about 3 days ago because i replaced the old ones that i am asking for information..i used a local substrate from a river bed and river sand and gravel for this, backup with jeneca external filters and DIY c02, and a dose of macro npk every other day..actually this is my third tank...this is a 4 weeks tank..

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  12. yhoxz

yhoxz New Member

IMG_0367.JPG
    This is my second tank, filled and backup the same with my third tank..this is a 3 months tank..

13. yhoxz

yhoxz New Member

IMG_0369.JPG
    This is my first scape in a bowl, this is almost an 8 months old..this is where i breed my RCS, so far this is going good..

14. Sakana

Sakana New Member

sorry silly question, how did you post your pic in the thread?

15. keithgh

Sakana

I would highly recommend Photo Bucket its free and extremely easy to use. I think it's five postings before you can post a photo on ASW.

I will check it out for you.

Keith :cat::cat:

yhoxz likes this.
  16. keithgh

Yhoxz

I can see confusion happening very soon.
    When you ask a questions with multiple tanks the replies can be very easily missed or mixed up
    My suggestion is open a new topic for each tank it will be a lot easier to follow your replies.
    Its only a very young tank let it develop a new tank can cause a new comer to worry about every minor detail that often disappear as quick as they come.

When you start your new topics post every detail about that tank in the first post under a photo of the tank.

17. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you have enough light....but units of measure are helpful. for a 40 inch tank...definitely not. for a 40 cm tank...maybe. If judging from your other photos is useful and they are at 3 months of growth and the plants have been in there the entire time...I'd say you don't have enough light as there is very little growth going on.

The other issue here is if you increase light you may not be able to supply enough CO2 with a DIY system. Monte carlo is an easy plant and can grow in non CO2 tanks or lower light tanks...but it will grow very slowly and not as dense.

So you could consider an alternative route. Keep the low light and select some plants that will do better in it.

yhoxz likes this.
  18. keithgh

yhoxz

I think I should have asked this question earlier. Re your DIY Co2 can you give us as much information as possible plus any photos of your Co2 system.

yhoxz likes this.
  19. yhoxz

yhoxz New Member

I just uploaded it ftom my phone...sorry for the late reply

20. yhoxz

yhoxz New Member

Hello guys, just change my light into an led 2 x 12 watts, I saw tiny bubbles coming out from the monte carlos, and the also the other plants, would it be a positive sign?...hope so...thanks

keithgh likes this.