1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

introducing fish to CO2 tank

Discussion in 'Fish' started by ShadowMac, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

What is the best way to acclimate new fish to CO2? How do you do it and why?

I've wondered, after a proper quarantine period in a location without CO2 how do you adjust your fish to a CO2 tank?

Do you put them in there with CO2 running on day one or do you "start over" building it up to the proper levels over a period of time?

Other methods? ​

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

never spend attention to this, canĀ“t start playing with co2 each time I introduce new fish ..
    IMO as long as there is enough O2 fish will do fine in a Co2 tank, something you can do to help them acclimate is aerating the tank during the night

3. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Last time when I introduce new fish during light ON and I saw them struggling for air and swimming on surface. So now, I introduce new fish at night few hours after light and CO2 was OFF. I don't see them struggling for air this way

From what I read a while back, it is about the concentration of CO2 in the fish body compare to the CO2 in tank water. If the CO2 concentration in the tank water higher than in the body, even though there are plenty of O2, the fish will not be able to release it.

4. ShadowMac

thanks, I think I will add fish at night after CO2 has been off for a bit.

Shadow, regarding what you said. I've read that too, the hemoglobin activity is dependent upon concentration of CO2.

Another thing regarding that: I've wondered.... long distance runners sometimes train at high elevations where there is less O2. This increases their red blood cell counts and hemoglobin for improved intake of O2. Could fish go through an adjustment phase with CO2 where there body adapts somewhat to the higher levels of CO2 since higher levels of CO2 diminish hemoglobins ability to bind O2?

5. dario

dario New Member

ok, i have very big problem about this..
    last 2 weeks i try to add first fish to my aquarium, crossocheilus siamensis..
    i have co2, dc is light green..
    first time i put them into aquarium directly from the store, and after about 20 seconds fishes is start to swim backstroke and fall down..i put them to the my second aquarium without co2 and there were ok..

..after one week, actually after water change (50 % - 150 liter), i try to put them again with corydoras..the same thing is happened again..

it's about ph, not co2, what is almost the same thing (you understand me)..
    next time, i will turn off co2 one day before i will change water, and after water change i'll put fishes into aquarium..there is no other way to do it...

sorry for gramatics
    dario !

6. ShadowMac

pH in regards to CO2 addition is not important to fish, it does not impact how they osmoregulate. It does effect their respiration which would manifest more like gasping and exhaustion not disorientation. pH changes involving salts will have an impact and could harm fish if it is drastic, osmotic shock generally involving large sudden changes in kH.

simply, fish do not care about pH changes involving CO2.

did you acclimate your fish or just dump them straight in? You should introduce small amounts of tank water to the fish over a period of time allowing them to adjust to your tank water and to temperature. Disparities between your tank and the water they are in can be stressful and sometimes harmful.

Quarantine periods before introduction into a main display tank is also of great benefit to the fish and your tank.

7. dario

dario New Member

thanks for replying shadowmac..
    first time yes i was introduceing water to the fish, but second time no..
    i will try to turn off co2 and then try to put them in tank..
    but, i still can not believe in such consequences after only a few seconds in aquarium..

8. ShadowMac

that rapid would lead me to believe it is kH differences or other dissolved salts. CO2 would act slower than that.

When I introduce fish I leave the light off for the day.

My plan for my new fish coming tomorrow will be to put them in a small quarantine tank with 80%RO and 20% Tap water. It will have an airstone 24/7 and HOB filter. They will stay there until Friday evening. I will place them in the tank that night after lights and CO2 have been off for a bit. The next day will run CO2 for about 4 hours with lights. Then off the rest of the day. Sunday I will try an entire day of CO2 and lights while watching carefully. If any show severe signs of stress they will return to the quarantine for another try the next weekend.

Thats the plan:113:

9. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

yeah something like that, I have trouble remembering the detail :p

10. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

i also only add fish after lights out when my co2 is off.

i float the bag until lights out, then i drip acclimate them. there will still still be co2 in the water, but the dripping should off gas some and this is the best way to introduce new fish into your tank any way.

being introduced in the dark is a lot less stressful as well. i have never lost a fish doing this method, except for otto's, but i have never had a high success rate introducing these anyway..

11. Mildly Rabid

Mildly Rabid New Member

@wearsbunnyslippers: Floating the bag is probably a bad idea when lights are on or if the surface of the tank is much warmer than the bottom. It won't really acclimate them, and might fry them if your lights are very strong. Why not just drip accllimate? (Source: "The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums" by David E. Boruchowitz, Editor in Chief of Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine)