1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Inspiring pictures of some of Utahs canyons w/ Wabi Kusa

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by randy0319, Feb 6, 2013.

1. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

I thought that I would post some pictures of natural inspiration that I took last year...they have given me ideas. The whole canyon is one big series of iwagumi possibilities. Plus a natural wabi-kusa was spotted in the creek. The Storm Mountain area is a side canyon of Big Cottonwood Canyon that is steep, filled with layered rock of granite shist, hard slate, and other metamorphic rocks. The stream gushes down in terraces and has many natural 'gardens' nessled in among its boulders and nooks. Scrub oak, maple fir, and other plants cling to the steep sides and boarder the rock slide shoots of the canyon as you ascend. I hope that you all enjoy.

IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_0100.jpeg this was the natural wabi-kusa ball growing in the storm mountian creek.

IMG_0098.jpeg Storm mountain falls.

IMG_0112.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

IMG_0110.jpeg

IMG_0108.jpeg

IMG_0109.jpeg

It is the dead of winter here but I hope that these pictures inspire you folks to create something wonderful---R

Attached Files:

Sponsored link:

2. randy0319

Just recently a friend of mine and I went up to the Uinta mountains for a backpacking trip. Knee trouble caught me but we still had a great time and Laura snapped these amazing pictures of high alpine wabi-kusa. She is hooked and she might be planting one of her own. Here are the pictures that might help all of the rest of you talented people be inspired

DSCN3375.JPG

DSCN3376.JPG

DSCN3377.JPG

DSCN3380.JPG

DSCN3383.JPG

DSCN3391.JPG

DSCN3412.JPG

DSCN3413.JPG

DSCN3414.JPG DSCN3425.JPG

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  3. randy0319

DSCN3419.JPG

This gives an idea of the area that we were camping in and how lush and beautiful it was. I hope that more people post pictures of wabi-kusa found in nature.

letsgodisco and keithgh like this.
  4. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Beautiful photos. Really like the waterfalls, reminds me of this layout from the IALCP 2013

waterfall_scape.jpg
    37 Sreeram T INDIA

John

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Randy

Nature is the best teacher but too many forget to look to see what nature is doing.

I guarantee Roy, greenfinger 2, will be right on to all of those photos.

Keith:):)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    greenfinger 2 likes this.
  6. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi You Know me well Keith:D Love the pics Randy :cool: Thank you for sharing them (y) I love Wabi Kusa Have learnt so much about plants doing them Plus they look good too:rolleyes: Congrats on becoming a staff member Keith:)(y)

7. randy0319

Congrats and thanks to you both for the kind words. I share your love of wabi kusa but have yet to make a new one. It has been a while since I have done it but need to get back into that game.

8. greenfinger 2

Hi Randy,Wonderful idea :cool: Looking forward to seeing your W-K ;) I Just love doing them i have 9 now :ROFLMAO: I Am addicted to W-K .Well that's what the Wife says.I think she is right:eek:(y)

9. greenfinger 2

Hi Randy, This pic gave me a idea :) I Love taking a idea from nature or a nature pic :cool: This Thread has already Inspired me(y) Hope it does others ;) Well you learn so much about how plants grow And what plants look good together :cool: And have fun with ideas at the same time :D(y) One Pic 001.jpg

Mahantesh and Shadow like this.
  10. randy0319

That is an amazing picture!! WOW!! Please Post More!! Now you got me going, scheming, thinking and planning. Where are these Islands located?? Thanks for sharing and please share more!! best wishes---R

11. randy0319

Could wabi-kusa style and techniques be used in an 'Avatar' scape????...hhhmmm....

12. greenfinger 2

Hi Randy, Wife Downloaded photos From WWW :cool: Will try and find location :) Would love to go there and be at one with nature:rolleyes: Like you I am always looking for new ideas In a photo or a simple walk in the park ;) Will post more photos soon :whistle:(y)

13. keithgh

Roy
    That is the first time I have seen that photo its so close to that pile of bricks we are working on I can actually pick out parts of your planning.

Its nature at its best.

14. greenfinger 2

Hi Randy, Tried to find location of pic But no location listed sorry:( But found some more Inspirational pics :D :rolleyes: thCAK3VLHI.jpg thCA3QVC4L.jpg thCAU4GIFV.jpg bizarre-tree-[1].jpg tree-on-top-of-hill-of-yorkshire-dales-ray-bradshaw[1].jpg

Mahantesh, Shadow and keithgh like this.
  15. greenfinger 2

Hi randy, I know i posted this pic in last post:eek: But think this pic would make a great avatar Scape :) thCA3QVC4L.jpg

16. keithgh

Roy

That is nature at its best.

Thank you for posting those photos.

17. randy0319

WOW!! Thanks! Truly great photos! That high Mtn scene has really caught my eye. By 'Avatar' I was thinking of a glass aquarium half full with a mossy/dwarf baby tears bottom with a floating island of wabi-kusa in it...hhmmm...

18. greenfinger 2

Hi Randy, Thank You;) Well you never know where the next idea will come from :giggle: As to Avatar Idea:cool: Wow Fab idea :rolleyes: You have me thinking now :rolleyes: How about In a Aquarium But inside the Aquarium a globe With a nature Scape and a waterfall inside the globe over flowing out into the Aquarium Scape:unsure: Just a idea i had :eek: 1 pic Just a outline of a mad idea:LOL: Water comes in at the top of the globe And fall out the front Across The Aquarium Scape :unsure:;) be5df156-ff52-4a30-9b98-f54506fb6d42_zpsd76e0162.jpg

randy0319 likes this.
  19. greenfinger 2

Hi Randy ,When you have seen pic in link above i will delete as messes up your thread (y)

20. randy0319

Don't delete it! I think it is a great idea! Others might also. You never know....