1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Input on my plant, fish, and aquascape plan, please!

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by dougz, Mar 25, 2008.

1. dougz

dougz New Member

Hello!

Now that I have introduced myself, I wonder if I could get you thoughts on what I have put together so far in the course of my research, in terms of equipment, my plant and fish list, and how I might best aquascape my tank to desired effect.

Size: 75g (21"H + 18"W + 48"L)

Filtration: Eheim 2217 cannister filters x 2

Lighting: Current USA Nova Extreme 48" 2x54W T-5 10,000K x 2 = 220W

Substrate: Hydor cableheater + thermostat, moonsand, bagged laterite, eco-complete

Plant Want List:

Altenthera reineckii (background)

Anubias barteri var. Nana (driftwood, rocks, foreground)

Java Moss (driftwood)

Echinodorus martii (background)

Valisnaria spiralis (background)

Echinodorus tennelus (foreground)

Cabomba caroliniana (background)

Brazilian Pennywort Hydrocotyle leucocephala (midground)

Amazon Frogbit , Limnobium laevigatum (floating plant)

FISH WANT LIST:

25 Cardinals

1 male dwarf gourami, 3 females

8 ottocinclus

10 Panda corydoras

1 albino Bristlenose plecostomus (L-144a)

CO2:

Pressurized, controlled by Pinpoint controller @25 ppm, glass CO2 indicator, CO2 reactor off of cannister outflow.

Ferts: Seachem Flourish as directed

The cannisters will be distributed thusly (see thumb). I'm told this will maximise waterflow.

Desired Aquascape:

Valley (concave), with the open space in the OFF center @ 1.618 being the focal point.

I WAS hoping for a nice rock to be the aquascape, but I don't know if this will be possible, with the possibility of it making the overall composition too busy (more than one focal point).. Input needed, here!!!!

I have some driftwood (see thumb), but I think I'll have to get rid of most of it, as this too will add too many focal points.. The smaller ones I will cover with Java Moss so they blend in better, as I need them for caves for the corys and bristlenose.

Any and all input and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

This is going to be a great tank once it's up and running. You have really done your research, something I wish I had done when I first started.

I like the idea of two Eheim 2217s running. You run a single Eheim Pro II 2026 which would be less maintenance then cleaning two filters. The diagram of your spray bar position looks to be a good spot against the back wall, and should create the water movement you want in the aquarium.

I would ditch the Hydor substrate heater + thermostat. Despite what the marketing material says, this gadget is known to show no real benefit to aquatic plants. If you're looking for a heater option, I would get a Hydor External Inline Heater.

In terms of aquascaping, it sounds like you're off to a good start with the plant and fauna lists. The driftwood to me seems too small for the tank, but it depends on what you want to accomplish.

-John N.

3. dougz

dougz New Member

Thanks for the input!!

I want the 2 filters to increase water flow around the tank, and to allow for alternating maintenance schedules, which should reduce the risk of ammonia spikes, algae blooms..

This is the effect I want for my aquascape (see thumb)..

Just have to tweak it according to the plants I want (or I can try to copy it outright)..

The driftwood I may have to get rid of.. The taller one, anyways.. As like I say, it may end up serving as to much of a distraction..

I'll have to see once I get my substrate down and I can start playing around..

As for the cable heater, an old hand at planted aquariums that has taken me under his wing, Dave J. W., swears by them, so... :)

He also cycles his tank with brown sugar.. LOL

But you can't argue with success.. ;)

I won't be using the cableheater as a heater for the whole aquarium, of course..

Just the substrate to affect a current and keep the substrate "healthy"..

I'll be using a Visitherm Stealth 250W for temp control..

Attached Files:

4. John N.

I see where you're heading now with your plants and aquascape. This will be a nice journal to watch develop. Are you planning to mix the moon sand and eco complete together?

I suppose the substrate heater won't hurt, but still in my opinion doesn't seem necessary. I'm more interested in the use of brown sugar. I haven't heard much about using it to cycle a tank, and use it primarly for baking cookies. I'm on the train of thought that believes packing an aquarium with tons of plants from the start will off set and remove the need to cycle an aquarium. Can you or anyone tell us a little more about the benefits of brown sugar?

-John N.

5. dougz

dougz New Member

No, the moon sand will be just a very thin layer to cover the cable heater, to aid in the distribution of heat..

Oh, I forgot the laterite!

After the moon sand there will be a 3/4" layer of bagged (not granular) laterite, then 3" of eco-complete..

As for the brown sugar, this is what he told me about how he cycles his tanks, edited for brevity:

It's true that the fact that he plants so heavily is why he doesn't need to add sugar or ANYTHING to his tanks..

But like I say, he's been doing it a while, and has not had ONE fish die of anything but old age, and his tests shown rock solid conditions in all of his tanks..

I AM surprised that with all the research that I've done, not ONE other aquarist knows anything whatsoever of this method..

6. John N.

Very interesting read on the brown sugar concept/methods. I've never heard of this until now. For me, I haven't lost many fish due to a cycling issue. This is probably because I've been planting first and waiting a month or so before introducing fish species, so the cycle is completed by then.

Are you going to be using this brown sugar method for your cycling?

-John N.

7. dougz

dougz New Member

I think so..

It won't hurt anything..

But I'll take weekly readings, to see what's going on, just out of curiosity's sake..

To see wether it's the plants, or the sugar that's cycling the plants would be impossible, though, unfortunately..

The 2 go hand in hand..

It certainly would be a preferable alternative to ammonia..

8. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

I like the DW in the middle!

9. dougz

dougz New Member

I do, too..

Though I think I'm going to turn it so that the shorter end sticks up..

I'm thinking with the substrate in, it's going to be a little TOO tall... Unless I bury the bottom in the substrate.. We'll see..

I'm going to have that dw as the primary focal point on the left, then have a few DW bumps on the right for cory/BN caves on the right, but they will be covered in J Moss, and so hopefully will not detract from the main focal point..

10. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

I think this will look good. I would bury a little of that DW i don't think it will be to tall.

11. dougz

dougz New Member

Debating wether or not to use a similarly-shaped stone..

I'll see what I can find this spring, in the river beds and mountains..