1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Illness

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Rodney, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Rodney

Rodney New Member

This is not quite the right forum for this subject, but so much fishkeeping experience is represented on these forums I thought I'd give it a shot.

I have a 125 gal. home to about 30 different mbuna and 5 synodontis petricola.

Naturally, while I was on vacation my tank heaters broke and the tank dropped from ~79deg. F to 69/70deg. F. The fish were cold for about six days before I got home and replaced the heaters.

Now some of my fish have taken a darker hue than normal, but eat readily; others are completely fine. However, three fish have colored themselves as dark as possible and sit in caves or near the bottom, usually breathing faster than normal.

All water parameters have been stable for many months, the tank is thoroughly cycled. NO2/3, PH/KH/GH, Ammonia are all reading optimal levels. I do weekly 20% water changes.

**To treat this I have done a 25% water change and added salt as well as changing 1/2 filter media. I'll keep changing water every other day. Can anyone suggest any other methods of perking up your ill fish?

I know this isn't a cichlid keeping forum, thank you for your patience with my post. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Rodney

2. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi Rodney,

I've seen fish that were not heat packed properly when they arrived from importing. They recovered in a few days. Just be patient. You have one thing going for you- your fish were not cramped in tiny little bags with no filtration.

No need to change the water everyday-try to keep the water temp stable at 26C/79F and let them recover in their own time.