1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

ICH

Discussion in 'Fish' started by David B. Diehl, Jan 27, 2017.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

David sounds very strange "they do not deliver" as they quote the delivery costs.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. David B. Diehl

David B. Diehl Aspiring Aquascaper

Unless it maybe the UGF, I know a lot of debrides accumulates under it and that is where they are getting their nutrients from. If that is the case the 55 gal is set up the same way. Did see where the Eco-Complete will store all the nutrients in the water for the plants. I do have very hard water.
    Going on day 3 now in the 75 gal tank, looks like no more dead and their eating. Plants look OK so far also.
    Now storing hot water for tank in containers.

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Alright, I'm going to be honest here. I'm not sure why I take the time to comment and try to provide useful FACTUAL information. Every time I state something you do not like, you respond in an ungrateful and disrespectful way. This will be the last time I respond to any thread of yours David. See:
    In other words, I don't care what Shawn has to say.

Eco Complete in inert. It does not interact in any way with nutrients, it is unable to bind them and the components with which it is made up are not bio available. For example, Silica sand (an inert material) has the chemical formula SiO2...it has oxygen in it, but that does not mean it provides oxygen to the system because it is covalently bonded with Silicon and forms a silica crystal...not oxygen gas (O2) likewise the many components of Eco complete while the bag says it contains all kinds of things they are covalently bonded and not accessible to the plants nor soluble in the water. Chemistry and science says it is inert. It is certainly your business if you wish to waste time and money on what is equivalent to pumice or lava rock. Inert.

Here is a nice read if you care to take the time: http://www.barrreport.com/forum/bar...8212-is-eco-complete-inert-substrate-how-come

Why is it growing great? I would say your definition of great and mine are different, but that aside. They are growing because you have a high bioload, feed your fish, and are running what amounts to a fairly low energy setup. You do not require lots of fertilizers to grow easy plants. It doesn't mean the inert substrate is doing it.

Some buce bloom quite easily...more easily than anubias actually. The plants are not at all demanding.

keithgh likes this.
  4. flchamp89

flchamp89 New Member

Eco is inert. I do believe it should have some CEC value. How much? Who knows? Ive always been a sand guy before sand was popular. I tried eco it looks ok. My plants grow but its a pain to plant small delicate material in. For what it is imo its over priced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

5. David B. Diehl

I have 2 tanks one 55 gal, one 75 gal. Both have exactly the same type plants, same driftwood, same bio load, same wattage in lighting, both use a UGF to increase height of sub striate, same height tank, same water source, and both are in the same room, with the same setting on heater. The only difference is the 75 gal has Eco-Complete and sand, and uses a sump filtration. The 55 has only gravel and uses a canister filter. The plants in the 75 gal have beet trimmed twice since the 55 gal has been planted with the cuttings. The plants in the 55 gal are rotting off at the tops and dropping leaves. Anubias leaves are turning brown and the cypress is turning a rust color. And no algae.

6. keithgh

David

We all have tried to assist you where every possible with all the correct information and for some reason you are not listening.
    I was very seriously thinking along the same lines as Shawn I very strongly recommend you listen or members will no longer reply to your posts.

7. David B. Diehl

Only help I asked for was from you on treating Ich and how to add Eco-Complete to an already planted tank. Not if it was any good or not, since I already have it in the 75 gal tank. It wasn't a concern when I discussed the new tank setup using it so I wasn't concerned this time either. Have seen many comparisons to ADA soils and it was preferred. Only thing that showed better results was real dirt and then warned about putting in to thick of a layer. Thanks for the help with the Ich, I think its gone but will keep the temp up for a couple more days. Since Shawn says about 2 weeks.

8. keithgh

David

Ich is not just a matter of removing it from the fish that's the easy part as you can see if it's all gone. What you cannot see is what is still growing in the substrate and when emerges it will go straight for a host (your Fish), that is why you keep the treatment up another 2-3 weeks some even say a month. I have only ever used Meds but as you are using heat I do not know how your plants will be with the extra heat only you can see.

David B. Diehl and ShadowMac like this.
  9. David B. Diehl

Ich is not visible anymore, using meds now it will be 10 days Wed. Product is called Microbe-Lift by Herbtana.
    Keith , now I am interested in substrate. Have not used the Eco-Complete or anything except Flourish Excel in the planted tanks every other day. Found a source for Tropica Powder and Soil, what are your thoughts on it? Is it inert like Eco-Complete?
    Can get the do-it yourself fertilizer, How often and what spacing? The Flourish Excel has stopped most of the wilt or melt what ever you call it.
    Saw the section you did on "wild tank" is that what my tank scapes are, they look beautiful?
    Can you trim the roots on Java fern< mine are about 8" and collecting moss?

10. keithgh

David

http://www.seachem.com/downloads/articles/How-to-Make-Plants-Flourish.pdf
    How to Make Plants Flourish Gregory Morin, Ph.D

Flourish is only one of several products that healthy plants require.

Never heard of it so I cannot comment on it at all.

It can be done but you could have stunted growth for a short period of time

My suggestion now is read what I have posted for you before you decide what you want to do

It is certainly not a wild tank in my opinion a "Wild Tank" is as close to nature as you can get in every detail.

[​IMG]
    This is a wild tank in my opinion

[​IMG]

Your tank as far as Aquascaping is, looks like two long rows of plants with a few pieces of twiggy DW near the rear of the tank. Regardless what it looks like as long as you like it.

David B. Diehl likes this.
  11. David B. Diehl

I guess I'm more focused on the fish end of the hobby. A lot of the aquascaping tanks don't seem to have very many fish in them. This must be the difference between them. Don't like large masses of plants that you can loose dead fish in. I thought a wild tank was one you let grow without trimming.

12. keithgh

David
    When a planted tank is left un trimmed it becomes an over packed untidy messy tank of plants.

13. hektek.hn

hektek.hn New Member

"kick ich" is by far the best product i personally have tried on my fish and i got to say works like a charm and its totally safe on plants, no harm done to flora ever...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. keithgh

I can honestly say I have never heard of it, looks like its often used in Marine tanks.

15. hektek.hn

hektek.hn New Member

16. keithgh

I checked them and other information before I posted my reply.

David fixed his problem over 9 months ago.

David B. Diehl likes this.