1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

ICH

Discussion in 'Fish' started by David B. Diehl, Jan 27, 2017.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

I would raise the temp to 30C raise the temperature slowly - few degrees per hour will do . At a higher temperature, it would be advisable to increase the water surface agitation for about 4 days, that should work.

If you extended the 4 days for several weeks then that "could" stress the plants.

I have only every used Meds as I had Clown Loaches I had to use a Med that was suitable for Scale less fish. I never had a Problem in my Shrimp tank as I always collected the hot water and stored it for a week.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. David B. Diehl

David B. Diehl Aspiring Aquascaper

Water already at 80, 1 dead 2 don't look good. Can't find other male. still about 25 fry plus new ones.

3. keithgh

David at a rough guess I think they would have been too far gone already its a matter of looking after the rest.

This is a bit way out I would turn the lights off as well this might help with their stress levels and no feeding as the inhabitants might not be eating and this can cause other concerns, its only going to be for a few more days.

ShadowMac likes this.
  4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

It could stress some plants yes. Some mosses do not like higher temps. They should recover. Unfortunately, treating Ich leaves you with trade offs for each approach. You have to decide what trade offs you want.

Medications can kill inverts, stressful to fish.

Temp is safe for inverts and fish, some heat stress for livestock and plants.

5. ShadowMac

adding aeration might not be a bad idea either if you do not already have it running.

6. David B. Diehl

Plants are Money wort, Christmas moss, Anebuis Nana, Ludwigia repens,Crypts.,and vallisnarea. Fish only one type swordtail, Have increased water flow, will be adding air later when I get home.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  7. ShadowMac

plants should be alright. moss might get a little brown, but should bounce back.

David B. Diehl likes this.
  8. keithgh

David keep us up to date please. If all goes well you should have a clean tank very soon. In case it comes back after a few days the tank is back to normal, you know what to do and you can act on it immediately.

David B. Diehl likes this.
  9. David B. Diehl

I was thinking, yes that sounds dangerous. While I'm fiddling with this tank and the plants are being rearranged with rock. How hard wound it be to add Eco-Complete to an already somewhat planted tank. All the moss and Anubias are on either rock or driftwood. The only thing that is in sub straight is stemmed plants. Seen a video on running it down a PVC pipe to cut down on the mess, He was using real dirt. Mostly want it behind the rocks for the stemmed plants. Have new pictures of 75 gal which thread should I put them on, or start a new one?

10. keithgh

David

I would fix the Ich problem first, then think about your next step.

I am not saying it could not be done but I personally would wait until the Ich has completely gone, in other words "What is hurry"?

ShadowMac likes this.
  11. David B. Diehl

Just want to be prepared. Have to account for shipping plus nobody carries the fertilizer I want to use. And bored.

12. keithgh

David what fertiliser are you wanting as someone might know of a supplier.

13. David B. Diehl

Going to try adding soil under existing gravel.
    Day 2 at full temp, no more dead. I think the ones that died, they were the oldest at about 2 years+.
    Just inherited another tank, the friend with the 36" alligator gar found a home for it at the state park aquarium. So for my help and so he doesn't have to pay storage for it, gave it to me. Not sure how many gallons it is, it measures 144"x36"x36" of 3/4" acrylic. Set up for a sump drilled in each corner. No stand or sump tanks. Here are new pictures of 75 gal tank
    updateed 2-1-17.jpg updated 2-1-17..2.jpg updated 2-1-17..2.jpg

14. ShadowMac

That is a lot of effort to add an inert substrate. Eco Complete is not what it claims to be. Non of the nutrients are bio available.

keithgh likes this.
  15. David B. Diehl

Have 80lbs. in the 75 gal tank and it's growing great. see pic, this is after replanting 55 and 20 with cuttings and divisions.

16. David B. Diehl

Better picture of 75 gal tank. updated 2-1-17.2.jpg

17. keithgh

David Shawn has given you some very useful information I would suggest you rethink about what you are doing.

18. David B. Diehl

If it such an inert substrate why are the plants growing like crazy in the 75gal and doing nothing in the 55 gal. If anything they are dying off again even with the lower levels of light. The tops of the ludwiggia are turning black and rotting off. Did some research and ADA is a short term release compared to Eco-Complete. Real dirt is not recommended because to thick can build up dangerous gasses. Florite is not available in my area or internet, all that is left is no-name brands or knock offs. Liquids are to complicated,fertilizer tabs gave me that algae bloom all over everything. Those plants are just now coming back to what they were once. I know I need something this is the tank that burnt itself out last time.
    What else is there? All the dirts in the do-it centers have chemical additives or are mostly sand and cow manure.
    What do YOU recommend?

19. keithgh

David this might help you.

https://www.amazon.com/Flourite-7-kg-15-4-lbs/dp/B00025YSB0

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4870

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-a...premium-aquarium-plant-substrate-5049883.html

I used the Seachem fert tabs for many years and never an Algae concern.

One quick E/m to Seachem and they could tell you where you can buy it or connect you to their USA distributor.

20. David B. Diehl

Those are the ones I used.
    Why if Eco-Complete is inert am I having such good growth with it. The buce will only bloom in ideal conditions I read. Plus Eco-Complete is already on its way.