1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

IAPLC too restrictive?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by ShadowMac, May 20, 2015.

1. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

while checking ILAC entry form....ilac adviced:

If you also apply for IAPLC or other contests with the same work, we recommend you use a different photo with different Exif.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    ShadowMac likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. Solcielo lawrencia

Solcielo lawrencia Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks for sharing the IIAC email. I'm guessing that they haven't had as many entries so far as they were hoping.

Also, this suggestion about using a different photo would not prevent disqualification from IAPLC since they clarified that the "entry work" is the tank, not just the photo. Thus, any photo of the tank in "different cut or format" is subject to disqualification.

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

It would seem IIAC has their ear to the ground and is aware of the sentiment among many hobbyists. I think they see a chink in ADA's and IAPLC's armor.

I still love the IAPLC and if a different photo is all that is required I may reconsider next year. I can hold a single photo for myself and use another for other contests and to share with the community. Perhaps IAPLC isn't all that restrictive. Is anyone aware of an aquascaper doing this? Using one photo for IAPLC and another near identical but different photo for some other purpose? Any issues known? I can understand IAPLC wanting the publication rights for legal purposes, etc. But I'm not totally convinced this is the sole reason for the rule and that we could find it expanded upon. Maybe, I will do this next year and see....not like they would be disqualifying a winning work! :p

4. Solcielo lawrencia

Solcielo lawrencia Aspiring Aquascaper

On the UKAPS forum, one of the members sent an email to IAPLC for clarification about the "entry work" term. They clarified that "entry work" refers to the tank, not just the entry photo. Thus, if you share any photo in "different cut or format", it's subject to disqualification.

I've looked over the AGA rules and it's very clear what is acceptable and what is not. They even clarify that photos are allowed to be edited for color (contrast, exposure, color correction, etc.) IAPLC should take note that the clearer the rules are, the easier they are to follow. Especially because there are unwritten rules about disqualifying judges of other competitions, which is just wrong.

ShadowMac likes this.
  5. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

If they are smart, they would delay the dateline by 1 month which is end of August. Because unless top 27, some participant does not really care if disqualify or not :LOL:.

Ed Villagracia likes this.
  6. Shadow

It is probably simply pride :LOL:

ShadowMac likes this.
  7. Ed Villagracia

:D i agree with you Robertus. ILAC should have done that. i presume, IAPLC will release the result
    maybe July 31 midnight leaving no chance to interested aqua scaper to submit entry to ILAC :LOL:

8. Shadow

Based on IAPLC schedule, we should start to know the result by mid August or toward end of August.

Early to Mid-August Ranking announcement to individuals by post
    August 30  IAPLC 2015 Results broadcasted on USTREAM*

9. Ed Villagracia

i thought this is by mail.

hi guys, pardon me for always typing ILAC when it should read IIAC [need to see my eye doctor]

ShadowMac likes this.
  10. Ed Villagracia

"IAPLC will release the result maybe July 31 midnight leaving no chance to interested aqua scaper to submit entry to ILAC"

hi Robert i am referring to this:

IAPLC upcoming schedule

Late July IAPLC 2015 final results

will they still show the world ranking results via pdf file?

11. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Haha! You made me look up the contest again to see if I was getting it right :D

12. Ed Villagracia

sorry.......just noticed tonight after a closer look of the letters IIAC :LOL:

ShadowMac likes this.
  13. nicpapa

nicpapa Aspiring Aquascaper

haha... :p

ShadowMac likes this.
  14. Shadow

It could mean release online date or it could also mean the result ready but they have not short it out, either way I'm not sure. Last year I think I received letter first before online announcement. So my guess is we will received the result by main on mid August and result release online end of August.

15. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Cheers folks,

I'm just back to forums again in order of my #backtoforums challenge, later more about it.

Following the discussion this topic I run into ukaps and would like to repost as its pretty much the same topic:
    #####
    From my own understanding and mailing with japan I can tell that there is nothing wrong about sharing the creation process. The only thing IAPLC is asking for is to keep final and close to final photos secret before they announce the winners.

This means you can share the entire creation process, hardscape, planting, tech been used and development of the layout until it gets close to final look. After this point you still can share detail shots or weird angles and this is not against the rules!

But, It is difficult to say, from what point the layout is close to final. And because IAPLC can't make this clear, they will not further specify this - because this leads to never ending discussions. Also, they of course appreciate if one will keep the entire layout secret - specially if this one is considered to rank top 100 to have the most wow factor when they first announce the results.

My 2014 entry was only 3 to 4 days old at the moment I took the final shot (trade show layout) and there have been tons of pictures of it on the web. Pictures I took my self and shared on Facebook and those done by thousands of visitors of this public trade show.

[​IMG]

But none of them was like the final shot I've made for IAPLC (no reflections, ripples on the surface, in and outflow pipes removed etc, fish introduced for photo and made them school ) - no problem, no disqualification.

[​IMG]

This said and keeping the sharing spirit in mind I'm now starting the #backtoforums challenge:

This >>link<< will forward you to my Facebook post including a video to know more and all about it - if you have the same mindset, please help me spread the word. Share it with your friends and become part of it yourself!

The more people participate the greater the impact will be! If you want to help me, make sure to use #backtoforums, thank you for your support
    #####

ASW is of course on my #backtoforums list I will now show up here again more frequently :)

16. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Sounds as clear as mud looks like someone has to make a final decision to clear this up if not the confusion will not improve.

Just set a date/so many days before the final posting.

Keith:):)

ShadowMac likes this.