1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

IAPLC too restrictive?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by ShadowMac, May 20, 2015.

1. Solcielo lawrencia

Solcielo lawrencia Aspiring Aquascaper

What did they say exactly about what IAPLC was asking them to do? Were they threatening to disqualify them from IAPLC if they were the judges of Ista IAC? They aren't even judges for IAPLC so there doesn't appear to be a conflict of interest should they enter.

Sponsored link:

2. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

2015 rule change from previous year. Check out the latest one from IAPLC web site.

Anyway, very unlikely people going to spend time and money to sue IAPLC for disqualify their work especially if it is not in top rank. You can only complaint unhappiness at forum or social networking website :LOL:. Those that have chance or think that have a chance in top rank will just follow obediently. :p

ShadowMac likes this.
  3. Solcielo lawrencia

Yes, I'm talking about the 2015 rule, not any previous years'.

4. Shadow

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  5. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

I think you are right. Here in US, Blockbuster and Hollywood video used to be two biggest brick & mortar video rental chains. With newer players coming in the market with e-commerce (cheaper) alternatives, both chains eventually lost their markets and had to shut doors.

I know ADA want to sell their mags, but how long do they think they can sustain it by imposing restrictions on contest photos?

6. Shadow

I believe it will last very long as long as those top ranker continue to support them and I believe they will continue to do so. The rules does not really matter to them. Those top ranker does not even bother about sharing or showing off their work. People sharing their work to get known, to get acknowledgment from the world and IAPLC is the best way to do so. IAPLC top rank carry lots of weight world wide. This is where IIAC coming in, ADA knew and try their best to prevent it.

Ed Villagracia likes this.
  7. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

Jurjiis already posted on fb portion portion of his 2015 entry to IAPLC.
    i asked him if i can also show how i am going to start my aquascape [hardscape placement],
    he said that "that can be done as long you don't post your [whole] Final Photo Entry.

do you think because of IAPLC ruling "sharing knowledge in our hobby" is slowly dying :cry:

Jurijs mit JS likes this.
  8. Solcielo lawrencia

So basically, you're saying that the contestants are more interested in the pissing contest of "world ranking" than the actual aquascape. I have to admit, if I (my tank) were rated in the top 100 out of thousands, I can brag, put it on my resume, and have some qualifications to refer to should anyone question me. It's also justification and acknowledgement which is what most people want for their efforts. But I don't think that's what aquascaping is really about.

Which reminds me of dance competitions...

In competitive dancing (e.g. latin, ballroom, hip hop, salsa, tango, etc.), the judges are more interested in technical skill than actual dancing. The most prevalent belief is that dancing is movement. This is incorrect and borderline wrong. Dancing is the physical representation and expression of music. Street dancers understand this intuitively and are usually the most musical interpreters. However, in competitions, dancers are not rewarded for great musical expression but great movement and choreography. So they choreograph dance routines and practice hundreds of hours just to wow the judges and the audience. All you have to do is turn off the sound and try to imagine what kind of music they are dancing to. Then watch the dance again with the sound on. Were you right? Probably not. See, you don't notice how wrong the movements are until you only focus on what the movements convey. The movements convey one meaning - the music conveys another. When you understand each on its own, and the two have very little in common, that's when the conflict is apparent.

Similarly, aquascaping competitions have the same problems. A lot of the top rated works and winners convey something that isn't even aquatic in nature. All of the dioramas of landscape scenery have nothing to do with fish or aquatic plants. And yet they consistently rank very high. This encourages even more diorama-type aquascapes. Some of these dioramas look more suitable with crickets and lizards living inside them, not fish.

If aquascaping is about creating an environment that is most suitable for aquatic animals and plants, then aquascapes that best exemplify this ideology should be rewarded. However, the natural environments that many fish live in are ugly; the water turbid and stained, rotting leaves litter the floor, algae grows rampant. These are not the qualities of desirable aquascapes. What aquascaping competitions reward is the ability to create a fantasy that has very little to do with aquatic life. It uses aquatic organisms, sure, but the rest is complete fiction.

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I think the general "how to" knowledge is out there and forums are some of the best places. Although, forums can also become toxic places if certain myths or ideas of poor practice take hold.

IAPLC is one of the few places to see some of the absolute best aquascapes....technically speaking. I too am not a fan of the diorama trend. I also constantly wonder what the scapes look like in person. With camera lenses and great photography, that one shot from the single perspective can look much different than in person. Probably why I will never rank high in IAPLC...I care more about what this tank looks like in person and do my best to capture that in a photo. Not to play with dimension and depth in a photo. The illusion is easily destroyed in person.

I would like to see the top aquascapers more active in sharing their knowledge. Most of the time, the only time us average hobbyists see or hear from them is around IAPLC time and afterwards to share their entry. Then they disappear for another year. That being said, there are some really great aquascapers out there sharing how they do it all the time, from photography to layout and planting, to maintaining the tank. The info is out there, but not always easy to find unless you've been in the hobby a while and know where to look.

greenfinger 2, keithgh and sworrall like this.
  10. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Shawn

Could it be "They" meaning the professional contestants are attempting to create a restrictive club for them selves?

Keith:):)

11. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

I can understand if people, even top rankers do not post fts before the contest results are disclosed. What is don't understand is what stops them sharing after? One can always capture the setup photos/videos and share after the results. Rest of us get to to see/learn after some delay but that's ok.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  12. Shadow

They do sharing their work after the announcement but normally no setup photo. Not many people free enough to take photo during setup.

13. Shadow

Many of the top ranker are professional scaper, top rank do look good on their portfolio.

14. ShadowMac

In my own experience I have to agree with this part. When setting up for a photo, or even when starting a scape...placing hardscape and planting. I find myself skipping the photos of "the process". I'm way too busy and don't really have helpers.

Although, I am not a professional. This seems like something professionals should be doing. It would be nice to see aquascape presentation to include more than just a final photo. After all, professionals have the most to gain by doing it.

15. ShadowMac

I don't know if that is the case. I've seen some non professional groups or forums become quite "cliquey". With a small group of the most experienced leaving others out in the cold with little feedback or discussion if you aren't in the group. I've found it odd where a completely (in my opinion) bad tank gets pages of replies and praise, while another fantastic scape gets nary a word. ASW is not one of those places I'm glad to say.

There could also just be a country of origin barrier. Many top contestants are from Asian countries and they may be more active in other places, blogs, forums, etc. That many of us in the West are unaware of.

Lastly, I know I try to be very active in the community....trying to payback all the help I received when starting. But it is a time commitment. One extraneous to actually aquascaping. Maybe top professionals feel the same way.

Still, forums have the great opportunity to do what we wish those top contenders would do. It'd be nice to see them pop in more than once a year.

16. Solcielo lawrencia

One of the reasons, which has been explored in psychology regarding students, is that high-performing study groups actively prevent low-performing students from entering. The reason is simple: low talent/skill dilutes the resources of the high talent/skill members. This prevents the high-skilled from improving if they have to devote some of their resources to raise up the low-performing members. Also, low-skill members don't have the knowledge to provide helpful feedback which further impedes improvement to the high-skilled. Low-skilled members are like parasites taking everything while contributing nothing. This same phenomenon is observed in very young children. If a young toddler is gifted with a baby sibling, the baby takes resources from the parents and the toddler's learning and development slows.

There is a silver lining: once high-skilled members have achieved what they wanted to achieve, and feel there is no competition or need to compete, they may turn around to help others out and share their knowledge and expertise.

17. Solcielo lawrencia

ShadowMac likes this.
  18. ShadowMac

I'm not sure I would agree with this sentiment and would need some citations to the particular research articles to be convinced. While it intuitively makes sense, the cliques do not always consist of the "highest skill" members.

19. Solcielo lawrencia

I can't seem to find the article online or maybe I read it in a physical journal at the university library. But the study was about high-performing study groups and looked at various aspects about what made them more effective and how they formed. It wasn't about cliques but the results could be generalized to certain kinds of cliques.

Cliques, an exclusive small group of people, form as a result of real or perceived threat. Comfort and security arises from surrounding yourself with people with similar viewpoints and/or backgrounds. It's like schooling behavior in fish. In the wild, fish school for safety and comfort. But in aquariums, where there aren't any predators, they don't school. As a former educator, this was one of the ways I evaluated the health of a school. If there were cliques, I knew there was a problem with both the administration and teachers engaging in abusive behaviors and policies. Students felt threatened so they formed tight exclusive bonds as a way to protect each other, and sometimes as a way to attack other groups.

``````````
    Also, something occurred to me last night. In regards to sharing, I think that there's been a shift in online communication in recent years. Forums are no longer as popular as a place to exchange ideas. They are tedious to navigate with all the extra clicking through the pages to get to specific threads. Compounded is the fact that there are more forums now than ever before. ASW, BR, TPT, UKAPS, APC, APE, Reddit, and many more, are all forums that tailor to aquatic planted aquariums. It's difficult to maintain journals across more than one forum, especially if members want exposure or feedback. Some of these forums have had a significant drop in participation, from a furry of activity only a couple of years ago to the point where it's basically dead.

What seems to keep a forum active is knowledge and expertise, as well as helpful feedback. I've been on other non-aquarium related forums that used to be very active. But over time, highly knowledgeable members stopped posting and the forum slowly died, leaving only the worst behaving members. With a higher percentage of bad posts, it slowly turned the forum sour and members no longer participated because they didn't want to be harassed. So they also leave. Another issue I've personally experienced is that if moderators abuse their power and engage in harassing behaviors, that causes members to leave.

Imagine how busy this forum would be if Takashi Amano were an active member providing helpful advice and feedback. This would probably be the most popular forum of them all.

ShadowMac likes this.
  20. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

today, received this email from ILAC.
    i highlighted in blue "the hot topic in all aquascaping scaping forum" :)

i guess every individual who submitted their aqua scape to a particular international contest
    will receive the same invitation from ILAC :cool:

IIAC <ista@iiac.com.tw>
    [​IMG]1:18 PM (56 minutes ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to me
    [​IMG]

Dear Mr. Villagracia,

This is IIAC from Taiwan, we are hosting an aquascaping contest this year and we would like to invite you to join. We saw your great work on AGA contest in 2014. Our contest is free of charge and every participant can upload 5 works. The first prize is USD 10,000 and closing date is July 31st.

Our main goal is to spread the joy of aquascaping and encourage more people to join the world of water plant. It would be our great honor to receive your works of 2015 in IIAC contest.

We understand that you might be hesitating about attending IIAC contest because your works could be disqualified from IAPLC. We sincerely hope you can reconsider it and give it a try with IIAC contest. All in all, we just want to encourage people and tell people, aquascaping is lots of fun in it!

IIAC service team

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    greenfinger 2 likes this.