IAPLC photoshop issue.

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Kookaburra, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Kookaburra

Kookaburra New Member

Something very put trouble in me ... :confused:

The 88th of IAPLC 2008 :

zenscape - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

* Before :
    [​IMG]

* After :
    [​IMG]

* Stages of the "Photoshop" modifications :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All things have change ... The numbers of fishs, some plants were added, the colors of sand and of the "background" ...

I dont know the ADA contest is an "Photoshop contest" :thumpdown::thumpdown::thumpdown:

Sponsored link:

2. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Send an e-mail to ADA and ask them? This is bollocs. It's not a PS contest. Thats cheating and the entry should be eliminated.
  3. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

Hmmmmmmmm...I certainly hope not.
  4. Kookaburra

Kookaburra New Member

How many tanks were in the same case ? How to know ????

By hazard, We find this one, but for the others, it's impossible to saw some "Photoshop modifications" ...

It's a shame ... :deadhorse:
  5. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Are you sure its entry 88 and not 109 - The name for 88 says Catherine Wong, and for 109 says Maurice Cheong. The name of one picture is called MauriceCheongADA2008SML.jpg
  6. Mark1

Mark1 New Member

A shame when true!!! That´s very disappointing about this contest...

Regards,
    Mark.
  7. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

I have written an email to ADA and attached the photos, asking them for an official policy on the subject.

If othes would like to write, we could hopefully get a statement, to clear out if we are to accept this.
  8. Norbert Sabat

Norbert Sabat New Member

Shame on them:thumpdown: (if that is true)
    I have bad feeling about sending few layouts to Japan by people that use name wife, sister, brother etc. IMHO this isn't fair play - if you made 2,3,10layouts choose one and sent. Better not send than cheat :thumpdown:
  9. George Farmer

George Farmer Aspiring Aquascaper

Thank you, Jason. Onwards and upwards though...

Maybe I'll use Photoshop more next time... lol

Seriously though, the Photoshop debate is interesting and deserves a thread to itself in the Aquatic Photography sub-forum.

Like most, I expect, I use it to enhance what is already there, like a digital darkroom. I think the line is crossed when folk add stuff that isn't there.

This is why I like the NBAT contest, as the judges visit the aquariums. Obviously this isn't practical in an international contest. Maybe video footage is the future?

Anyway, congrats to all entrants, whatever their ranking. It's the taking part that counts. (Isn't that what sore losers say?!) ;;)
  10. Mellonman

Mellonman New Member

But maybe this person sent to ADA a picture with no modifications... ;)
    Nobody knows, since nobody saw the contest photo...
  11. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

We will have to wait to see the magazine! I hope it's not the case.
  12. Kookaburra

Kookaburra New Member

Look at this :

Pictures of IAPLC 2008 AQ entries! - AquaticQuotient.com

Flow~~~ - Page 3 - AquaticQuotient.com

Zenscape's Joy Of Harlequin (an update) - AquaticQuotient.com

One guy ... two tanks in IAPLC2008 :ehhh:

Sorry, you have right ... But look to what I have response to Norbert :13:
  13. zenscape

zenscape New Member

Kookaburra, I am Maurice Cheong from Singapore and thank you for your interests in my scape. I understand you had visited my photobucket but I hope you could address your query to me directly instead of making unkind remarks here.

Firstly, my tank is ranked 109 and my wife's tank is ranked #88. I am a forum member of Aquatic Quotient.com and she is not a member and she dislikes discussing work in forum. Most of the time, I asked forum members' opinion about our tanks included hers. I don't see anything wrong about it.

Secondly, I took hundreds of pictures of our tanks before I submitted them for the contest. These pictures were taken over times with new plants and fish added here and there. If you are keen to know, I also change background either black or white to see which one I really right. I also uploaded to photobucket the ones I like for easy comparision. I created my photobucket account 'public' to share but little did I know it will attract unwelcomed guest like you. I have since shut it down. Granted, I do some CS3 touch up but it didn't mean that I photoshop to fake things. Also, if the file of the picture is named 'Maurice Cheong', it doesn't mean that the picture MUST be mine. Have you thought of people sharing pictures in the same PC and the PC is registered in my name? I hope one day I could dig out all the pictures of your tanks and list them all out here to showl people they are not the same! But I don't think I have the time to do so and it is totally unnecessary and serves no purposes.

If you feel like there is a need to inform ADA about this, please go ahead and I will explain the same thing to them and I will be happy to show them my hard drive with all the pictures. I feel fortunate that we did not dismantle the tanks and they are still at home for verification.

Lastly, I hope you could have the basic countesy and respect for other to at least PM them privately to address your concerns (since you know I am an active member of AQ) before making slanderous remarks in public.

I hope the above explained
  14. Kookaburra

Kookaburra New Member

On all photographs, they see that it is the same photograph : "waves" in the surface are always the same, as well as the position of fish....

How explain it you if it is according to different photographs? [-X

Be honest, thank you! :-"
  15. Kookaburra

Kookaburra New Member

To "zenscape" :

It's a total hazard if I saw your tank and your photographs ... Not something deliberated ...

But if I find someelse who have make "Photoshop modifications" like yours, I should have the same reaction and I think it's a normal reaction : It's not the spirit of a contest to do it !!!

:-?
  16. GreenReef

GreenReef New Member

…cheated Photos and doubled entrys..?, …IAPLC-Conventions and rules is just a joke..?, …I see in ADA-catalogs never realy exist Layouts..?

W:eek:W
  17. Mellonman

Mellonman New Member

I agree with Kookaburra : Zenscape, how do you explain that on two pictures that are otherwise EXACTLY the same, we can see that plants and fish have been artificially added ? :-?
  18. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Since Zenscape has deleted the pictures, I will upload them later (I have them on my harddrive) so we still can see them.
  19. FAAO

FAAO New Member

[​IMG]

You've here the answer... Anyone that is telling the true don't avoid or hide the facts!

I agree that we can use Photoshop to correct WB, Brightness, Contrast, crop, exposure, distortion... minor corrections. But adding plants or change artificially the layout is totally condemned!
    In my entry I used "repair tool" to remove some scratches on the wall (back of the aquarium) can this be consider cheating? I think not...
    About George's layout, I don't understand why he obtained that classification... It remembers me my IAPLC 2006 when my aquarium obtained 552th and the same layout wins on AGA the 1st place and best of the show :eyeroll:. I know that are different contests and different opinions... but 552th position!?... hum.. strange, no?

I'll consider my entry on IAPLC 2009...
  20. paludarium

paludarium New Member

Hi,

I did not take part in the contest, nor do I know the rules. Before I read this threads, I supposed that the the participants were allowed to have more than one entries.:eek: Actually, some participants DID have 2 or 3 entries in the contest. You are absolutely right.

Regards,
    Erich