1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

IAPLC 2014 Preliminary Report

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by ShadowMac, Jul 25, 2014.

1. EChord

EChord Aspiring Aquascaper

The question of low US entry #'s is an interesting one to think about. I honestly think that most of it has to do with the low publicity of aquascaping. Freshwater also seems to be laboring under a stigma of being lesser than saltwater. In other words, saltwater keepers are generally accorded higher respect. I think those have to be addressed in order to shift the population more towards aquascaping and eventually, competing. This is one of the reasons that 'televising' the live contest over the internet would be a really good idea. That and/or posting vid after the fact on youtube that has been properly SEO'd. Essentially the more presence you bring to the market, the more you show yourself as a big deal, the more others want to join.

ShadowMac, keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Add to that the folks out there with a big YouTube presence commonly don't have very impressive tanks. There are only a few I've come across with what I would consider aquacapes. Most do not reach the level expected in an international competition. Exposure is certainly a difference maker.

Local stores in the US do not support the hobby well at all. Display tanks are uninteresting with half dead plants if they even have live plants. The locally owned star in the largest city in ND south of where I live completely eliminated their fish section. I've tried to help, offered to teach staff, setup display tanks for free, sent another small shop owner an array of plants for free. They just lack the interest or the will to do it. Many shop owners are not interested in the US. Saltwater is the only thing taken seriously and viewed as the place for advanced hobbyists. Makes more money for shopkeepers. Corals and fish can sell for 3-10 times the amount freshwater stuff does. Even the salties don't do much scaping and many of them are in the same boat as the freshwater planted guys. The tanks don't look that pretty. They just have bigger beautiful fish to compensate.

I think many other countries have the same challenges with finding a good local shop, finding other hobbyists nearby, sourcing plants, etc. The Asian countries don't seem to have that challenge. Probably also helps that IAPLC is out of Japan. I wonder what the breakdown of entrants are for the AGA competition?

What the AGA is doing at the Chicago exhibit is a great step in popularizing the hobby in the US. Germany is certainly growing and has a great foundation in the hobby. German shrimp breeders, many exceptional aquascapers, and a retail market more open to this part of the hobby.

keithgh, Felix W. and greenfinger 2 like this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Shawn

I think in the Melbourne Vic Australia there could be only two or three that actually promote Aquascaping to that level the have all the knowledge and necessary equipment to assist you along the way.

Keith:):)

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

That not quite right :p. In Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia are the same, there are only one or two shop that have reasonable display tank. I did exactly just like you "offered to teach staff, setup display tanks for free" but it does not work. The profit of selling plants are too low compare to selling fish like Dicuss, Arrowana, etc. Here a pot of common plant like rotalla cost you only $1. I guess their profit only around 50 cents or less. The only Asia country I visited with beautiful aquascape at LFS are Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Vietnam LFS was nothing, 6-7 years ago when I visited, but now might be different after they hold 2 times Grand Champion.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    keithgh, Yoda and greenfinger 2 like this.
  5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Ha! you would know better than I! Thanks, Robert.

I've always thought great display tanks and nice plants would sell a bunch of equipment, which I would think has a good deal of profit margin.

keithgh likes this.
  6. Shadow

They do have higher profit from selling equipment but that only one time deal. Once you have it, you wont need buy again until it spoil which can be couple of years.

In Japan for example, I bought 3 stems (stems not pots) of ludwigia super red for 2000 yen that roughly 20 USD and this is not the most expensive plant in the shop. $1 vs. $20, they probably can earn profit from selling plants alone.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    keithgh likes this.
  7. Shadow

Result start to pour in at facebook. Some participants from Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong have their letter yesterday.

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  8. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi All, Looking Forward to seeing the Aquascapes :rolleyes: Congratulations to all participants (y)

Shadow, Felix W. and keithgh like this.
  9. keithgh

I am like Roy I am waiting to see the Aquascapes and wishing all the exhibitors the best of luck.

greenfinger 2 and Felix W. like this.
  10. Felix W.

Felix W. Aspiring Aquascaper

I can not wait....aaaarg!!! Dx

Liebe Grüße Felix :)

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  11. Shadow

got my letter

[​IMG]

12. Felix W.

Me too;)

greenfinger 2, keithgh and hamza like this.
  13. hamza

hamza Aspiring Aquascaper

Ranks please...

keithgh likes this.
  14. Felix W.

It was my first time by iaplc with my Minizonas. My first little Nanocube(20L). Place 1118.:D I was very happy and totally surprised with the result. I thought I would be disqualified or would have the last place. I'm really really satisfied:):):)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  15. keithgh

Felix

Congratulations if you are happy with the result that is all that counts.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    Felix W. likes this.
  16. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

Mainly other priorities. I have not been able to be active in the forum as well. Had to deal with a very bad winter and then a very bad spring (storms). Much of spring and early summer went on with some much needed renovations at home. I'll be back next year though. The passion is still strong :).

Saw some of the results in UKAPS forum. Congratulations to all participants in advance!

ShadowMac, keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  17. Shadow

This is the new 2014 judging criteria. I got it from Karen Randall, one of the Judges.

50 points: recreation of a natural habitat for fish
    10 points: long term maintenance of layout work
    10 points: creator's technical skill
    10 points: originality and impression of layout work
    10 points: presentation of natural atmosphere in layout work
    10 points: overall composition and planting balance

Glomeridae and Yoda like this.
  18. keithgh

Shadow

Does that mean 50% of the voting is for trying to create a natural look about the aquascape?

19. Shadow

yes total score is 100 points, 50% of it is to "create of a natural habitat for fish". Is that mean biotope?

Like in the previous year, total score is 200 points, 50% of it for impression.

Ed Villagracia and keithgh like this.
  20. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

hi robert,......thanks for sharing. maybe you're in TOP27 again.(y)

Ngo Troung posted his letter from ADA showing "Honor Prize" but overall he is in TOP 10.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Glomeridae and greenfinger 2 like this.