1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

IAPLC 2012 grading detail is out

Discussion in 'News Around the World' started by Shadow, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. viktorlantos

viktorlantos Aspiring Aquascaper

Yup it's not the same for sure. But both have to be out of the top ones.
    Sorry if i seemed like offense on you. This is not a personal thing of course.
    It's just something which is not healthy for the contest.

You already have another tank which is very unique and fresh in the top 200. Maybe the other was just entered for fun.

remysreeee likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. WabiKasuH20Fall

WabiKasuH20Fall Aspiring Aquascaper

8 pages of irony and agony and complaining sprinkled with some good voices of reason... A good read, pure entertainment, thanks fellas.

biobio and youjettisonme like this.
  3. Aquadream

Aquadream Aspiring Aquascaper

No offence, but for sure I dissagree. And it seems so does Amano. After all the rules talk about point deduction, not exclusion right?
    So weather any aquascape should be in or out is up to ADA.
    It is their contest.

4. viktorlantos

Well i just placed my votes. Kudos for all who produced fresh and quality layouts (y)
    There are many good ones luckily. I am just praying this year to not have a tree trunk scape in the top 3 :)

remysreeee and severumkid like this.
  5. youjettisonme

youjettisonme Aspiring Aquascaper

I placed my votes as well. I am happy with the quality overall as there are about a dozen scapes which truly inspire and intrigue me, and I think that's as much as one can ask. While perusing the scapes, I found myself saying one of 5 different phrases over and over again, and hence, here are my categories:

1) I have no idea how this made the top 200.
    2) I can appreciate this one, and it's well done, but it's not my style.
    3) Ok, that's pretty cool, but I have seen 100 others just like it.
    4) Ok, that is just a really nice Aquascape right there. Job well done.
    5) This makes my list. Amazing scape. I just want to keep staring at it.

viktorlantos likes this.
  6. viktorlantos

Very good points up there. Quickly summarize the feelings (y)

I am still on the learning curve and try to raise the levels each year, however i believe i will never get into the top 27 because that's so different usually. Like a different division. No matter how i am pushing. :)

But i love this fact. Would be boring if i could beat anyone anytime. :D

7. youjettisonme

When I look at my progressions from where I was to where I am, it is night and day, but I feel like I still have a lot of room to grow and improve. It reminds me of the first book cover I designed in comparison to the last ones. Creative writing... same thing. My first stories were so immature, but the later ones were the perfect contrast by comparison. I don't have all the answers, nor do I know how it will happen, but I just feel like it's inevitable that I will get a lot better.

If you immerse yourself in the medium for long enough, and keep paying attention to the subtleties, eventually you make a leap. This is my first entry into a contest so of course I am satisfied for this year. But next year, watch out! (<------ I am sure most people feel this way).

8. viktorlantos

9. niko

niko New Member

Ok here it is, black on white:

1. The Japanese contest is severely overrrated. Commercial interests, cultural barriers, works by people that have no clue what is aesthetic what is not. Go ahead - deny these things.
    2. There are not "top 200". There are "top 10" at most. Among these "top 10" the last 5 or so are "good" only because they have some good details. But overall they are not great aquascapes.
    3. An original aquasacape is very rare. It ALWAYS gets lowballed by the judges. The purpose of the Japanese contest is to establish ADA as the leader once again and promote their views and ultimatelly - products.
    4. There is too much outright kitsch. Tasteless aquascapes that many people consider beautiful. Rocks hanging in mid air, white sand "rivers", photo-backgrounds, "trees" implemented usually in a cheesy, tasteless fashion.
    5. 99.9% of us do not understand anything about composition and beauty - this is evident in our aquascapes and our comments about other people's aquascapes.
    6. There is more that I can say. 5 should be enough for a wake up call.

remysreeee likes this.
  10. youjettisonme

Sounds good Niko. Could we see your tank shots for comparison?

kojot, Yoda, Shadow and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

oh my God! viktor......your talking about my entry. thanks for the pray coz i don't have tree trunk and much don't
    have photographic effect hahahahah my only problem is i don't know if i can call it high resolution photo. i am using
    4mp old compact digicam but my tank is there......luv it!

severumkid likes this.
  12. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

13. Shadow

On second thought, maybe the submitter was play around with the idea of nana all the way to the top. He made a rough edit to see how will it look. Unfortunately during submission, he submitted the wrong file....oops... I'm pretty sure there is some error correction checking during upload, like parity check or CRC check.

14. cagatayutku

cagatayutku New Member

Do you really belive that is this a upload mistake? I don't think so. In my country there was an expression " Don't twist anymore" :whistle:

severumkid likes this.
  15. Shadow

I don't believe in anomaly or file corruption during upload but sending the wrong file is possible because it happen to me once :LOL:. It was my fault that I did not rename the file, I'm using the original name like IMG_0005.JPG and there are 100 of similar name which can be confusing. I realize my mistake early and told ADA about it, and they asked me to email the correct picture. Lesson learn, now I always rename my file by adding "_submit" so I know which file I should submit ;).

16. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

It is sad that these situations are occurring. Photoshoping to add fish and plants?

I did not made the top 200 tanks, but I refuse to use photoshop and copying someone else work, I will work with what I have at hand and scape according to my interpretation of what I want to achieve.

The guy of tank 65.. well, how silly he must feel now.. his name will be printed all over the show soon, and people will start to doubt his work from now on.

Just sad..

I already have a tank to send next year.. :) a micro tank, no more than 1L... just need to learn more about perspective. :)

17. viktorlantos

i start to feels like more people think photoshop is a tool must have to use..... without starting another line this is one of my fav

[​IMG]

Look at the left side between the stone and the tree. Sharp moss edges.... On the right center the hill top is a bit blurry and in some places looks like this a path tool is used. (straight top edges on the left of the hill).

Now look the the right tree trunk and the moss next to this. Very blury and the moss pieces looks like if an eraser with feather or a clone stamp tool is used there.
    Maybe the background was not right and it was fixed on the fly.

Again without starting another conversation on this, but this looks strange. And it's not the photo quality or the camera. The image is superb just like the tank itself. I just do not have explanation for myself who is working with photoshop on a daily basis why it looks like that.

If a photoshop will rule the contests then something need to do for sure. Otherwise many people will not enter just because there are cheaters all over the place.

Luis E. and remysreeee like this.
  18. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

well it's real sad that this is happening! I was so looking forward to next years IAPLC to enter for the first time, this teaches me one thing - what I do for a hobby should remain as such! no point in showcasing to win something, if I receive appreciation/critic from all members atleast of this forum I would be more than happy with my work..!

biobio likes this.
  19. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Niko, I couldn't agree more with number 5, way too much kitsch.

There are very few competitions that actually do anything for the hobby. it'd be a happier place without them, lets face it, we wouldn't have so many people belly aching because their tanks aren't getting the recognition they think they deserve.

I also think it's too much about photography, that's why so many people think it's okay to photoshop things.

Luis E. likes this.
  20. youjettisonme

Although I agree wholeheartedly with the belly aching quip, I have to disagree with the overall sentiment here. I heard people say the same things about racing bicycles, that racing just killed their love of the bicycle. That is true what they said... but it is true for them. Not for everyone. This kind of truism is nearly universal. "Marriage killed the relationship". Sure, for some it will, for some it will not. When a person's music or art becomes a business, the dichotomy between something pure and something monetary is too overwhelming for some.... but not for others.

The problem with any contest, no matter the medium, is that your ego becomes more firmly in play. Those with fragile egos tend to lose their grace more easily than those who are more able to roll easily with the punches.

We can see that, for some on this thread, contests are not a good idea. But is that much even true? Experiencing disappointment, losing your grace, and then struggling to find it again is what life is all about. People grow from experiences like that and can become better people going forward. Some never will. This is an opportunity for those with their feathers so ruffled to step back and figure out why a fish tank being debated amongst strangers on the internets is so utterly vital to their life. Once they gain their footing and perspective again, they see that it is not.

But for others, especially those new to the hobby, contests like these merely inspire and offer wonder. Notice that it's often those folks wearing the badge of "I have been in this hobby forever" who wind up bitter and willing to take a swipe at any and all comers when they get the chance? The noobs, but contrast, are usually just full of wonder, and that's what the idea of nature aquarium is suppose to be all about. It's in cases like these that the veterans could stand to learn a thing or two from the new guard.

"There is plenty to criticize. It gets so easy to narrow these eyes. But these eyes will stay wide. I will stay young, young and dumb inside. I have just begun, to forget my lines" - Schwarzenbach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.