1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

IAPLC 2012 grading detail is out

Discussion in 'News Around the World' started by Shadow, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquadream

Aquadream Aspiring Aquascaper

What goes around comes around. One guy says this, the other answers than and there we go on the new fire inspired by what?

I suppose by the feeling that some thing or someone is unfair.

Well then. Last year I was way pissed by the very same rules, because I played by them step by step and that cost me the opportunity to enter other contests.

Later I realised that not everyone is as stupid as I was and plenty of the entrants play against the rules and the game goes that way.

So there we go. If I am to participate in a contest that is full of entries against the rules in one way or another all I have to do is join the club or refrain from participating. In South Africa there is a saying - when you go to SA do as the South Africans do.

So when you participate in IAPLC do as everyone else is doing. One learns all that by experience.

This year I did like that and it seem to be ok with ADA and Amano. And if it is ok with them who am I to say is wrong. I'm just not the guy that pays for the enterprise.

I say be careful with the rules, but I also say screw the rules and what ever. The bottom line is that those guys will either like my aquarium or they will not. Beyond that there is only gibberish.

severumkid likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. Aquadream

It's business my friend. And as sad as it is business and cheating go hand by hand. If you would like to participate in a cheat free contest (if there is such) look for one that is not about big cash awards, but about friendly and joly gathering.

3. severumkid

severumkid Aspiring Aquascaper

@Aquadream

Thank you for putting it as it is. This is very clear and transparent now. I am sure people will agree to this and thus this will stand as a consensus. I do not see the need to drag this any further unless some one can bring out some other angle to this issue. Thanks all.

4. severumkid

We should make one like that, where all the aquascapers of the world would look forward to participate for the sake of fare judgement and supreme satisfaction and recognition due to the fact that the competition is cheat free, non biased, judged by serious scapers etc. It can easily attract people if we can get the basics right. Money can also be generated and dealt in a transparent way, it i s not a hindrance but a facilitator.

youjettisonme likes this.
  5. youjettisonme

youjettisonme Aspiring Aquascaper

That's an excellent reply Severum. I appreciate your honesty as well. Don't think that any and everyone of us isn't capable of the same bitterness, or that I didn't curse to the stars when some bloke would cut my wheel in a criterium when I used to race. In any contest where the stakes are certainly someone's ego, you will have a level of nefarious undertones. It's unavoidable. Of course I do not think it right that anyone should cheat, but I also don't appreciate the "When in Rome, do as the Vandals" approach. If you end up taking that attitude, you are the problem now and then have nothing at all to complain about. So, no matter what, you are the only person who will be looking at yourself in the mirror at the end of the day. Above anything else, just make sure that you like what you see.

I don't agree that you are not as gifted as most of the others who made it to top 200. Sometimes, as a designer in any medium, it only takes recognizing a few simple nuances to change your perspective, and therefore, realize more success. It is most certainly in you to do that.

On another board, I heard people talking of formulas. "From my standpoint, the judges seem to like two giant hills with a valley. They all look like that." It is even more formulaic than that though. What the judges like is simple: Parlay lush vegetation with lots of perspective and depth. Those are really the two key ingredients, and if you combine the two effectively, you make a top 200. Almost all of the finalist took perspective and depth to great levels, and it shows. Some did it in ways we've seen often in years past while some offered a more fresh approach. Either way, if you lend enough depth and perspective, you're a finalist, period.

If I was going to offer advice to any contest hopeful it would be: Before you lay out your scape plans, understand the angles that will create your depth.

Finally, I will quote Osho (I hope some of you read Osho around here on occasion). He said, "Nothing fails quite like success". Think about that one for awhile. In this contest, we have exactly one winner, and about 2400 losers. What is ever enough? If you made a great scape, and you enjoy it, is that enough? If your significant other, your family, or your friends admire your scape, does that become enough? If some random strangers on the internet offer you kudos for your art, then is that enough? If you place among the top 200 in a contest? Top 100? Top 10? 3rd place? What's enough?

I can tell you first hand that the most bitter, angry, upset, and just plain pouty people I ever met were those who finished in the top 10 of a bike race but didn't manage to win it. They always wore scowls on their faces, and despite all their talents, they seemed to be having the most miserable time despite the countless hours and dedication they offered to their sport. Don't be that guy! None of it is worth it. This year, someone will finish top 10 in the IAPLC and be borderline suicidal, it's a guarantee. You have to love creating art for the right reasons, and if you don't, you will simply have a miserable time, and you'll end up asking yourself why you are here in the first place. So, "nothing fails like success". Osho had it right.

WabiKasuH20Fall likes this.
  6. youjettisonme

I absolutely agree that you should try to make a new contest with a novel approach. I am sure people would welcome that if you can pull it off. Sometimes, a sense of unfairness ends up the foundation of something great in the future.

7. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Agree to that, they will come up with whatever explanation to justify their decision.

8. Shadow

I believe there are plenty for such competition which normally organize by local forum.

9. Shadow

Look at no65, heavily edited picture, look at 200% zoom for better viewing :LOL: 065ps.JPG 065ps200%.jpg

10. youjettisonme

Holy mother of god. Not only is that one of the most tragic photoshop catastrophes I have ever seen, the scape itself, even shopped, is not strong. How did you manage to look long enough at this entry to sleuth this so well? Further, this is proof that either they don't bother scrutinizing the EXIF date beyond the date, or that submitters are using 3rd party software to mitigate their changes. Either way, that is crazy shady. If I apologize to Severum profusely enough now, do you think he'd accept my apology? That's where I'm at now.

Further, for Severum, I just cast my votes and spent quite a lot of time scrutinizing each entry (obviously not as long as Shadow). Even with a heavy, heavy ASW bias, your tank is absolutely superior to a minimum of 15 of those entries. I am not saying that it might not also be better still, but that's if you include the potential bias. Yours should have made top 200.

11. Shadow

Now you know why people complaining :LOL:
    The credit for spotting it does not goes to me, my friend was asking me to see tank no 65, he does not tell me why, then I laugh :LOL:

12. Aquadream

I find that realy stupid. Very average scape made even less average by PS croockery. Bahahaha.

13. severumkid

I was not fighting for my entry, there are better entries than mine waiting outside. Iam not being modest, but saying what is a fact. I am saying this for people who actually deserve. I know if I make it good some day then I will be there and may be it will not be IAPLC but a better and a bigger competition.

Sadly there paricipation if only fractional due to various factors. I want to compete with the best and improve myself. And presently IAPLC is the competition where all the people around the world look forward to participate.

14. remysreeee

remysreeee Aspiring Aquascaper

even iam disappointed cos looking at these kind of scapes r in top 200. i couldn't maid it i blame it on my self after spending 3 mounts on only hard scape end up tuck a bad photograph and sent to IAPLC . but this poorly Photoshoped scape entered in top 200 ho should i blame

15. severumkid

[​IMG]
    IAPLC 2011, Rank 280
    [​IMG]
    IAPLC 2012, Tank 021
    [​IMG]
    Same layout as done by Amano, copied by some one in top 200
    [​IMG]
    Major photo shopping tank in top 200 pic 1
    [​IMG]
    Major photo shopping tank in top 200 pic 2 with 200% zoom
    [​IMG]
    Tank no 198 in 2012, ranked top 200 in 2010
    [​IMG]
    Check out the varied sizes of the Cardinal tetras.

What can I say? :oops:

16. Aquadream

Hey mate. Did you read the rules of entry carefully enough?​
    " In case of reusing the same layout motifs as the past contest, the same layout materials, reforming the layout merely by changing plants, or using mirrorreversed layout design,"​
    In #21 I see some changes that are more than mere.​
    For example the UG hill on the back is going all the way to the right side glass of the tank. In #280 that is quite different.​
    Then the back details like Eleocharis and tiny wooden branches are taken out.​
    Then few big rocks from the front are taken out.​
    In #21 the HP is grown on strong light to exhibit the red top leafs. #280 is grown in normal light conditions that's why it does not exhibit red top leafs.​
    Does those count as enough differences to you or you would like me to continue the list? I gess not.​
    Remember that there is no rule for a brand new hardscape before entering the competition.​
    Both are my work.​
    And for #280 I screamed right in Amano's ears on his personal e-mail. I am pretty sure he would remember that number #280 well.​
    And if he decides that the new version #21 is worthed to enter what is your problem with that?​

17. severumkid

:rolleyes: sorry for that my friend. I did not understand that it was you. ;)

18. youjettisonme

Well, that was an unexpected turn.

19. viktorlantos

viktorlantos Aspiring Aquascaper

It does not matter who sent the image. Aquadream is right about the rule, but this is fully unaceptable to have this tank in the top 200. Just like other tanks which is just reposted or pimped up with photoshop. Does not matter how the plants grow since that time. The tank is the same. What would be if the top guys would resend their works every year? We would jump on them right away. But they are not doing this. Why? Coz it's not a nice movement anyway. Many top guys even not race on other contest to give chances for others. You know what? I feels like the current photoshop debate, reposts, cheating is fully outside of Asia. Maybe i am wrong but why we're not respecting the contest that much how its appreciated in Asia?

I see many questionable scape in the top 200 which is sad, because there are killer scapes which did not had a chance to get voting.

One thing i am missing really on this contest. It's ok that the judges skip some tanks for some reason, but if the community mark that a tank is not ok than at least that tank would get point decuction or cancellation it's nominating to the bests. I simply would recall these from the top 200. But this will never happen since the marketing machine is working. People are voting already. These tanks are in the current aquajournal too. It's not the judges fault i belive, it's our fault that we think we can do anything.

Luis E., yankadi and remysreeee like this.
  20. Aquadream

I suppose you do make a difference between pimped up with PS and grown and developed in a different way, right?
    There is a difference to me anyway.

I do agree that there is nothing we can do other than make good scapes and enter.
    The rest is up to ADA, not us.

So I suggest that anyone with grand complaints send them to IAPLC steering commetee as I did last year and I'm sure many other folks did as well.
    Then get the finger and be done with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.