1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

IAPLC 2012 grading detail is out

Discussion in 'News Around the World' started by Shadow, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquadream

Aquadream Aspiring Aquascaper

Most people try to copy and/or imitate, because not everyone has the imagination to come up with something different and new.

Luis E. likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I guess it does not work, I seen some tank start coming out at facebook :ROFLMAO:

3. youjettisonme

youjettisonme Aspiring Aquascaper

I felt that way as well. I guess I am not too disappointed though. ADA said there would be point deductions for something like that so those tanks should have a more difficult time in the judging in that case.

4. youjettisonme

I suppose my biggest disappointment was the extreme use of artificial elements in a few scapes. There is one in particular that I cannot believe made top 200 for this reason. Overall, it was like Christmas for aquascapers to see the new layouts. I was very impressed by more than a dozen scapes.

5. severumkid

severumkid Aspiring Aquascaper

6. Aquadream

7. severumkid

[​IMG]
    As you say brother.

See the last 2 posts in the thread. I have posted there also. Check this years 198 rank tank please.

8. severumkid

going further, I think, at least 30-40 tanks in that list have used same layout as last and last to last year. Only some finishing touches etc has been changed IMHO. Would be interested to know what all you guys think.

9. Aquadream

What can I say. It is the same tank, no questions there. But this is not the first time for such entries to happen.

10. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

mentioned to hamza same thing.....in his aboved-post.

i submit mine....a simple fresh layout[maybe] but neat and clean no further comments:LOL:

11. severumkid

Very few people protest thinking why do all this. After all this is nothing but hobby. I think it is not a appreciable thought process.

12. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Lets face it guys, there are about 2000 entries every year, don't expect them to remember every single scape. You can either complaint to IAPLC committee or let it be.

13. parthapratim22

parthapratim22 Aspiring Aquascaper

But really sorry to see those in top 200, may in top 1000!!! When we expect 200 would be very exciting!!!

severumkid likes this.
  14. severumkid

Hmmm...if we complain, how many shall we complain? If we have to find thieves in a village of thieves...
    If so was the case that only 2-3% of tanks on top 200 were fake it would have made sense. But when a whole contingent of fake entries make the top 200 of the most hyped competition in the planet, then it becomes a sham.
    It is extremely embarrassing as I am not here to fight with anybody. But this all is so ridiculously unjust. And to take it with a bland face and in your stride, surely gives out some very wrong signals. If we sit and dissect the tanks and do a comparison with AGA and IAPLC 2010, 2011 and 2012, it will show a very very nasty picture. Wanna bet?

15. biobio

biobio Aspiring Aquascaper

By your opinion what is fake in those entries?
    How do you define "fake" in aquascaping?

16. severumkid

Fake to me, means,
    a prevailing layout that has been touchedup, brushed and resubmitted as a new entry.
    An entry that has already participated, that being resubmitted.
    An entry that has just been setup immediately before the competition for the competition
    An entry that has been extensively photo shopped etc

17. youjettisonme

There are a few, but I don't think it's out of control necessarily. I would hope that the judges will take this into consideration for the final tallies, and they haven't proved otherwise yet. They say right in the judging criteria guidelines that scapes like these will receive point deductions, but not that they are off limits. Sounds fair to me.

I haven't seen any of those specifically. I can't imagine they will get any farther than this if true.

I see no problem with this whatsoever. A scaper could set something up a month ago, but if it's a great scape, and stands on its own merits, I can't see why a time stamp then becomes crucial. A point you could make, however, is when they incorporate terrestrial plants or other items which otherwise wouldn't be found aquatically in nature. As far as "drop n' shoot" goes, you can make the argument that many people do that with java ferns by just tying them to rocks and setting in the tank. So, in that case, it's almost impossible to police. Even the whole idea of wabi-kusa is similar where people are utilizing already grown plants, and I haven't heard anyone protest that in the past.

That's impossible as you have to submit your EXIF data along with your entry. Every photo is untouched. If that's not true in some cases then the submitters have some mad cheating skills on display.

18. severumkid

It is not that I am stressed about my rank. There are much better tanks than mine which have also not got to the top 200. For someone who has ranked 200 and is up for voting, it is extremely easy to pat others shoulders and say take it easy mate. For that guy who stood 201, its a devastating and atrocious experience. I end here. Sorry for the long and boring posts.

19. Aquadream

The question is how far you think you gona get with this chase? I can asure you that tank aint going off the contest regardless any protests. If ADA have decided they like it in there, this is it. It's their contest.

20. Aquadream

Some photos are quite touched actually. It's just a case that some small processing is acceptable for IAPLC, but they do not go in details about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.